Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-24-2007, 1:29 PM Reply   
Ever since I got my boat, my boat buddy has been hit and miss. I've been putting off fixing it until today. There are probably others out there with buddys that are bent so I'll post some pics. When sliding up to the buddy I would always hear a click but it would not catch, so then I would have to power up, leave the throttle on, and then scramble to the front to lock it and winch it manually. It pretty much never catches on it's own anymore so it's time to fix it.

You can see how the pin mechanism is bent out of whack on the right side preventing it from going all the way in the hole on the other side. I'll conveniently blame the damage on the previous owner.

Upload
Upload

These tabs need to be bent out to release the pin and spring. They will probably break as they did for me. Bend or break 'em
and pull the pin out.

Upload
Upload
Upload

These roll pins need to be hammered back down.

Upload

Put the unit in a vise. Cut a piece of metal to support the inside so only the bent part gets bent back. Get a large hammer, a rod, step on your vise (sorry in between shop benches), and bang it back to straight.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

I never liked the handle being curved, so I straightened that too.

Upload
Upload

The lever pawl was bent too so I had to staighten it also.

Upload
Upload

Put it back together and weld a washer on the end to hold the spring. Spray some white lithium grease or your favorite lubricant to all moving parts and then put back in place.

Upload
Upload
Upload

It should be noted that you need about 2-3 inches clearance to get the buddy off your trailer. I got lucky and came up short the last time I put the boat on, and was just barely able to squeeze the unit out.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-27-2007, 7:28 AM Reply   
Nice tutorial!
Old     (loux2)      Join Date: May 2004       08-27-2007, 9:15 AM Reply   
Brett,
Did you have to take the boat to the water to back it up past the boat buddy? Or were you able to push the boat back?
Old     (h2omantx)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-27-2007, 9:44 AM Reply   
Great post. I will use it when mine needs to be repaired. Thx.