Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-17-2003, 8:27 AM Reply   
I plan on putting a 4 or 6 inch lift on my truck. Does anyone know if this is going to make it pull worse? I dont want that jerking motion when I take off or stop.
Old    g_money            09-17-2003, 8:35 AM Reply   
It really depends on a few factors. Susupension or body lift? If suspension are you using blocks (not reccommended) or springs to get your lift?

The lift will have more effect on the way your truck handles on the road then with towing. How are you effecting the center of gravity of the truck?

For towing you really want the trailer and truck hitch to be as level as possible. If it is not level then you will feel the boat lift the back of the truck or push it down depending on which way out of level it is.

So to answer your question it really depends on how your lifitng your truck.

Galen
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       09-17-2003, 9:04 AM Reply   
The problem is not going to be the lift itself, it's going to be when you put bigger tires on your truck. The bigger tires are are going to kill your towing power unless you regear.

I had a lifted Jeep that I towed w/for a while. The towing ride was a lot better with new leaf springs/shocks and coil springs. I lost all my torque and my towing power diminshed because I didn't regear. Plan on adding another $800 to $1000 for new gears.
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-17-2003, 9:12 AM Reply   
Sorry I guess that was kinda vague. I have an '87 GMC 1/2 ton reg. cab 8ft bed. I am looking at the Skyjacker 4 (or 6)inch suspension lift, it comes with new front leafs and blocks for the rear. Right now when I hook the boat up it's not level (leans downward) because I had to put an 8 inch drop receiver on it because of the cutom fab bumper on the back.
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-17-2003, 9:17 AM Reply   
The torque and tow power I'm not worried about the crate motor takes care of that 330 hp should be enough to pull a 2700 lb boat but I could always go bigger. And it has 373 gears in the rear end.
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       09-17-2003, 9:37 AM Reply   
You should be all right w/373s. You going to put 33"s or 35"s on it?

My uncle has a completely restored 87 short bed on 33s, it's a total red neck machine...I love it! Shiny red paint, loud ass exhaust, new crate 350. It's one of his many project cars/trucks..I've been trying to get him to sell it to me for a while now.
Old    g_money            09-17-2003, 9:44 AM Reply   
Well I am more of a Ford guy then a Chebby guy bit with that much suspension lift your going to want to looks at some other things as well. Steering geometry is going to be your biggest concern. are your track bar and draglink going to be parallel if not you will get some bump steer.

Driveline lenght is also going to be effected. If you don't go off road then you will probably just go through u-joints at a regular rate. If you go off road you need to make sure you have enough travel in your driveline. You may need to correct your pinion angle as well. As I mentioned I am not a big Chebby guy so I can't be sure.

You will probaly also need new shocks. I would recommend Bilsteins over Ranchos.

The price just keeps going up when you plan to lift that much. But if you don't correct these things your truck will handle like your boat.

Go to priate4x4.com and post your concern in the Chebby section. You should get an answer pretty quickly or you can search the archives of the site as well.

Galen
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-17-2003, 10:16 AM Reply   
Thanks, the kit through 4wheel parts comes with the shocks (mine has Quad Shocks) and you do have to change the pinion angle but those parts are only like $35. I didnt think about the track bar...man this gettin expensive! I told my wife I wouldnt spend any more money after I bought the new Harley...I might be in trouble
Old    sonicr1            09-17-2003, 3:58 PM Reply   
I have a 99 Dodge Ram QC 4x4. I put a 3" suspension lift with a 3" body lift, then 35" tires. I towed for one summer with stock gears... BAD IDEA!!! I think I burned up my tranny a tad bit. The next summer I put 4.56's in the rear, and wow!!!

I put Rancho 5000s on it... they are a bit stiff. I towed my boat with a buddies Avalanch (6" lift 33" tires), he has Rancho 9000s (not to mention the 5 link rear), not sure of which setting, but the ride was a lot more plush-no where near as stiff. I'd go for the 9000s if I was going to do it again.

He has stock gears, and it drives well, but if he went to 35s, he would probably need to go to steeper gears.
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-17-2003, 4:14 PM Reply   
If I put the 4" lift on I would run 33's. But if I put the 6" lift on I would run 35's but if I have to re-gear maybe I'll stick with the 4" lift. I am only doing it for looks anways, not for off roading.
Old     (stevem)      Join Date: May 2002       09-23-2003, 5:14 PM Reply   
I had a '92 GMC 1/2 ton shortbed with Skyjacker 6" lift and 35" tires that I used as a boat tow vehicle for several years. I had no problem with u-joints, but I did go through idler arms ($60) about every 10k-15k miles. I did not re-gear it, but it had a manual transmission so it was not as much of an issue. Of course it takes longer to stop and is slower to take off just due to tire size and weight. However, I never felt unsafe or out of control when using this truck to tow both a 3000 lb ski boat or 4500 lb day cruiser.

A couple of years ago I sold it and bought my current tow vehicle which is a 2000 Ford SuperDuty for the crew cab option. I also have a 6" lift on it running 38" tires. Again, no safety issues towing.

Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-23-2003, 7:36 PM Reply   
Thanks Steve, Is the ford a diesel? and an auto or manual?
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-23-2003, 8:20 PM Reply   
My old tow vehicle.
95 Tahoe 11 1/2" of lift
38" Swampers
5.7 ltr 325hp 4spd auto
4.56 gears
Towed great. Did smoke one rear end. Weak 10 bolt. Other than that no problems.

www.Wake-Me.com
Old     (stevem)      Join Date: May 2002       09-24-2003, 8:46 AM Reply   
Hi Mark,

My Ford is a V10 with auto.

-Steve

Old    swpmwinc            09-24-2003, 10:19 AM Reply   
I have over 100,000 miles on my 99 F250 with a 6 inch kit and 37's Only problem has been a steering box.
Truck
Old     (propkiller)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-25-2003, 8:06 PM Reply   
Steve, Now that is a sweet set up. Now I not only have to put the lift on I have to paint the truck to match.
Old     (highrider)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-26-2003, 12:13 PM Reply   
I run a 10" lift and 38's. RS9000 shocks. The diesel engine has no problem pulling anything. Have not re-geared, but don't tow all that much as I live on a lake. But I do have to lower my ball about another inch...smooth things out a little.

Old    gunslinger            09-26-2003, 6:11 PM Reply   
Got 8" under mine with 38's......never been a problem at all.

Tony

Old    keithf            09-30-2003, 8:24 PM Reply   
Nice Ford truck pics!

Here's my F350 - V10, auto, 4.30 gears, 10.5" lift, 39.5" Swamper TSL's.

Boat? What boat? Don't even notice it.

Just lift it & haul ass - ya only live once.

toyzzz
Old     (highrider)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-01-2003, 7:16 AM Reply   
I like the lifted blue ovals - nice work guys.