Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       04-30-2006, 7:32 AM Reply   
My wife and I just sold the house and are looking for a motorhome to live in while we build our new home. We are looking at a Class A with a slide,( more room)...35' Southwind. V10 Ford. WE will probably use it to takeoff on weekends and head out with the Tige to some local parks on the Snake and Columbia River... Nothing to far away for now. ( not with gas at $3.00 a a gallon...)Anyone want to share some pictures of their rigs and boats?
What things should I be aware of when pulling the Tige behind 35' of beast? Is the V10 capable of pulling steep grades with the boat in tow?
Thanks...

Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-30-2006, 11:12 AM Reply   
Just curious, but why a V-10 over a diesel? I have driven both while pulling fifth wheels & the diesel is far better in comparison, especially when pulling a long load.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-30-2006, 11:42 AM Reply   
Hands down diesel for pulling the boat and for better gas mpg.
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       04-30-2006, 1:02 PM Reply   
Why not diesel?
COST
WE are going to be using it as a temp. residence and a diesel pusher in the size we are looking for costs about 20-25K more. I don't have the budget for a diesel as much as I would like one for pulling the boat.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-30-2006, 6:18 PM Reply   
Kirk we just bought a 32' southwind with the Chevy 8.1 Workhorse. Pulls the boat like a dream. Can't even feel it back there. The Chevy chasis should give you a little more for towing, but you should be fine either way. We love the southwind!! Get a backup camera.Upload
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-30-2006, 6:28 PM Reply   
damn tyler! thats sweet, where the hell do you keep that?

is it hard lauching the boat and backing down the ramp with that?
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       04-30-2006, 6:41 PM Reply   
Tyler,
Sweet rig.
The one I am looking at is 35' with a slide. It's pretty loaded. Same graphics as yours. Do you have any problems pulling hills with it? What about launching? It does have a backup camera.
Any problems with the back hitting the pavement on ramps?
I see you are from Portland... Ever get to Eastern WA?
Kirk
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-30-2006, 8:44 PM Reply   
Entrust, fits on the side of the house along with the boat.
I have only pulled the boat from Salem to Portland, but like I say it did great. I pulled another trailer about = weight as the boat to Seattle area and back and again real smooth on hills and everything. I have backed it up and backed up a few other trailers with it and it is actually quite easy with the backup camera. I am sure it will do just fine at most ramps. I will be able to speak more on it this summer. I don't generally get out to Easter WA. Make it to the George Gorge on occassion. Go to this website and ask your questions. People are great on the site and have tons of useful info.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/22.cfm
Good luck!!!
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-01-2006, 8:38 AM Reply   
damn! i wish i had room on the side of my house for that :-)

i just know at willamette park there isnt much room for me to pull forward and get my truck and boat straight before backing down the ramp
Old     (bigjackamo)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-01-2006, 10:14 AM Reply   
We have an '02 Itasca 34' with a Ford V10 and it pulls our Super Air 210 just fine. If I don't look at the camera, I forget it's there. Bit of a trick driving 59 foot of train in Southern Missouri and Arkansas in the mountains driving down roads to the lakes, but you learn. I'll let you know how it pulls our 220 as soon as I get it picked up.Upload
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-01-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
Kirk, You may want to consider resale value if you don't plan on keeping it after the house is done. I know w/ trucks, they hold their value for a long time. Plus, you can put far more miles on a diesel engine than you can on gas.
Old     (bigjackamo)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-01-2006, 11:21 AM Reply   
If you buy a 2-3 year old RV, much like boats the depreciation has leveled off. You are not going to loose much on a gas RV after the first 3 years. Don't get me wrong diesel is great and all, but I don't see the extra 20k unless you are going to put a ton of miles on it. We average about 2k miles per year on ours. Not enough to justify the extra cost of diesel. And the gas V10 pulls just fine.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-01-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
I guess if you're only putting a few miles on it, it would be hard to justify the extra $$$. I guess I was looking at it from how many miles I would put on it. I bought my Dodge in September & have put 18,000 miles on it. 14,000 of it were between new & February.