Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (shmeeman32)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-17-2011, 5:25 PM Reply   
hey I have noticed my boat cover bleeds black onto the side of the boat after every time it rains..has anyone else ran into this problem and how did you get rid of it without getting a new cover thanks
Old     (russian)      Join Date: Feb 2008       01-17-2011, 5:31 PM Reply   
Mine bleeds into the vinyl regardless of the weather, I too am looking for a solution especially because Im getting the interior redone this spring
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-18-2011, 9:16 AM Reply   
I have had problems with a few different covers that bled in one way or another. I had a black sunbrella that made my rear engine hatch vinyl turn purple/pink one day after 100 degree heat/rain.

I had a grey sunbrella that did pretty much the same thing to my white rubrail. I now am using a grey cover made from Sharkskin or some other name that is not Sunbrella.

I think if they get warm and damp and have any type of color on them, the covers will bleed. The advice I got from an upholstery shop was to either raise the cover up off the spots its bleeding on or put something between the cover and the boat, white towel being one of the better options for that.
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-18-2011, 9:38 AM Reply   
Take it to the laundry mat and run it through their washers a couple times!!!
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       01-18-2011, 9:45 AM Reply   
Yes the Laundry idea is a good one and I have done it on Black Sunbrella. They recommend using a non clorine bleach and cleaner mild soap like woolite and it does work wonders. Have to use the big washing machine cold cycle, the ones for sleeping bags, comforters ect. When you are done and the cover is completely dry. (Line Dry do not use dryer) Be sure to put on a coating of 303 Fabric Guard Water Repellent (NOT regular 303).
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-18-2011, 4:13 PM Reply   
Chaun, are you sure it is bleeding from the cover? The reason I ask is that pink discoloration is often related fungus growth. It can occur rapidly on hot days, and is typically seen where the cover touches the vinyl trapping moisture. Just a thought.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-19-2011, 9:27 AM Reply   
First time I've heard of the fungus amongus theory, I live in the desert so apart from a rainstorm every 3 months or so the boat stays really dry.
I'd be pretty certain it was the dye from the black cover on the vinyl. I'm no expert but I don't think fungus could grow over the whole rear engine cover in the hour or so between the rainstorm starting and me checking it. It did dissappear with an assortment of vinyl cleaners and some time in the sun.

For the grey cover, I got some similar discoloration on the rub rail where the cover touched but nowhere near as dark. I think it had more to do with the treatment on the back of the cover than the cover itself. Rubrails are pretty dense plastic, not much for fungus to cling onto. The only thing I found that really got it off the rubrail was wet/dry sandpaper. I've tried soft scrub, bleach, acetone, comet and pretty much everything else in my arsenal to clean the rail but I'll give some tough-actin' Tinactin a try if you think it would help.
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-19-2011, 8:38 PM Reply   
"I'll give some tough-actin' Tinactin a try if you think it would help"

LOL!

I agree, your discoloration is happening too fast for fungal growth.
Old     (repo)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-19-2011, 9:48 PM Reply   
From what I have been told. With Black sunbrella it is heat from direct sunlight that causes the discoloration in vinyl especially white. I've got a grey sunbrella cover that sits in the Australian sun 24/7. I do get a very small amount of fungus or mould where the cover sits on the engine hatch & rear locker covers if I don't use the boat after a bit of rain. Cleans off with Malco plus some 303 after.

Last edited by repo; 01-19-2011 at 9:58 PM.
Old     (frosty2469)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-20-2011, 6:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by repo View Post
Cleans off with Malco plus some 303 after.
Ian,

You can get Malco Down Under??!!

Hard to find it here in the same country it is made in!