Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-17-2006, 2:41 PM Reply   
All I can see when I think about helmets is the section in Murray's Detention video that makes fun of the guy in a helmet and the comments my boat partners always make when someone rides by wearing a helmet "not doing anything." However, I've seen more than a couple of posts lately with reference to head injuries, concussions, gashes requiring ER visits, and now this sad death. What do you more experienced riders think about helmets for wakeboarding?
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-17-2006, 2:58 PM Reply   
I wouldn't call myself an 'experienced rider' but I do know that you stand less chance of getting injured in a crash if you're wearing a helmet than if you're not. Which is more than enough reasoning for me to wear one.

They're not exactly a fashion statement but then I'd rather look uncool at the lake than cool in a hospital bed.

Pete

PS The main problem with wearing a helmet is that people who don't know how you ride see you putting it on and say 'oh, you're pretty good are you' then you blow that notion out of the water when you stack the first couple of jumps!
Old     (rimreaper)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-17-2006, 3:19 PM Reply   
If ur good enough for rails then u should wear a helmet.
Old     (denjoe)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-17-2006, 4:09 PM Reply   
Who gives a flying f@#$ what you look like. If you are more comfortable with or without it, that should be more important.
Old    wblwake            07-17-2006, 11:07 PM Reply   
Well, you probably need a helmet if u spell it with a u.
Old     (leigh)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-20-2006, 6:27 AM Reply   
We have never used helmets, but since our kids got back from wakeboarding camp, our son is wanting one. They started using them at the camp when a wakeboard hit a kid's ear and cut it in half and the family sued the camp.

I think the best ones to use are the ones with ear flaps. It seems like it would protect their ear drums when they have some really hard falls.
Old     (doch)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-20-2006, 9:07 AM Reply   
I've had a few minor concussions from boarding, but none since I started wearing a helmet. Pro Ace w/flaps-quite comfy.
Old    bocephus            07-20-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
Pro Ace Wake or Water?
Old     (wakeclt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-20-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
One ruptured ear drum and you'll want to wear one when you SET FOOT on your boat!

two ruptured ear drums in 6 months with no helmet for me, none in 3 years since owning a helmet.
Old     (fish6942)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-20-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
Think about how many years back was it where there was no such thing as a bike helmet.

After a major eardrum blowout last year, I wear the helmet and ear flaps all the time.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-20-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
Peter, its funny you say that. I've noticed on more than a few occations that strapping the helmet on draws an audience. I've had boats turn around to watch. Of course, with my riding, it doesn't take long for them to lose interest.

I know I look ridiculous when I ride (I have video to prove it), but I'm not in a fashion show. Wearing the helmet not only protects my noggin from hard falls, but also gives me more confidence to push my riding.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-20-2006, 1:39 PM Reply   
If you don't see little white lights and have a little blood coming out of your ears and nose when you crawl back up onto the platform, you're not getting the full experience!
Old     (wakeshredder16)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-20-2006, 8:01 PM Reply   
i just had a bad fall on a w2w toeside 180 and got a really bad concussion. had a cat scan in all do helmets just reduce the impact and make it hurt less ?
Old    j8711            07-20-2006, 9:33 PM Reply   
I used to make fun of people wearing helmets on our local lake, but then I sliced my head open and spent the day in the ER. A little lower and it would have hit my temple which would have most likely resulted in my untimely death. Now I wear a helmet. I don't really care how it looks or what people think now, but won't ride without it. Wear a helmet.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-22-2006, 12:24 AM Reply   
Les...wear a helmet. I don't even go into a disertation anymore about it. Just wear one. Did you ever see me without it at camp? You know the neurons that need to be protected up there!! (Check your e-mail)
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       07-22-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
Does anybody make a helmet (helmut) with a built in mp3 player yet??
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-22-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
yeah i think so, but not sure who.

I dont usually wear my helmet, but last week luckily for me I was. I caught a Heel edge on a TS 3 and took one of my worst crashes in years. suprisingly I didnt get a concussion but have the meanest whip lash ever! i just wonder what would have happened had I not been wearing it and thinking about wearing it all the time now.
Old     (shredred)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-22-2006, 10:24 AM Reply   
yes check out the waterproof headphone for the shred ready helmets
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-22-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
Sweet finaly someone came out with a waterproof headphone for there helmets. Shred ready rocks.
Old     (lukeh)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-22-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
judging by the spelling of this post I'd say you should save the few brain cells you have left!!

lol j/k
Old     (shredred)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-23-2006, 7:26 AM Reply   
Not sure the sweet earphones are waterproof. might want to chdck on that. I thought they were just for snow.
Old    live2wakeboard            07-23-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
I would rather wear a helmet and board more than not wear one and risk a doctor putting me out for a season. Im just getting ready to buy my first helmet! Do to the board h coming off hitting me in the back of the head and not coming off my feet! It was wild i didn't kno i could bend like that!!! lol
Old     (jtd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-23-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
Ever since my friend had 10 stitches with a helmet on!!! I've worn one....I suck but hey I'll take a few jokes over being dead.
Old     (wakeshredder16)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-23-2006, 5:16 PM Reply   
lucky my friend did the same thing we werent sure how he could bend like that but he did.
Old    live2wakeboard            07-23-2006, 10:46 PM Reply   
Adam ya i kno it was amazing my friends in the boat said it was the sickest fall they have ever seen i wish i could have of got it on film! lol
Old     (wakeshredder16)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-24-2006, 2:11 PM Reply   
yea my friend rolled into a circle it was wierd looking
Old     (wakemaniac69)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-25-2006, 11:38 AM Reply   
I'm certain we've all got the point by now. Helmets save lives. Not to mention a host of other head/brain injuries. I wear a Kayak Helmet, it has built in eardrum protection, looks like crap, works great everytime I pull the flyswatter or a backslap. I'm certain it has prevented several concusions. No Helmet, No Ride, I've got enough brain damage allready . I insist the riders behind my boat wear a helmet or sign a liability waiver. After they sign the waiver, they realize the risk's involved with this sport, and ask for a lid(I have several sizes). I go to the lake to have a great time riding, no to get hurt. Have a Safe Day, you'll enjoy it so much more. It's your responsibiltiy as a boat owner/driver to enusre the safety of your passengers. If they get hurt behind you boat, guess who get's sued. It becomes a non-decision at this point.
Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-25-2006, 1:49 PM Reply   
I have three boys that are under the age of 14, all of them can do multiple inverts and try just about any trick. They have worn a helmet from the day they started riding, they also compete in many tournaments. They have never questioned what they look like in it, all they know is mom and dad won't let them ride without it. It is habit for them and it should be for you too.