Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (mxjustin)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-16-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
I am about to withdraw from the semester at Texas State University because I don't want to spend six grand on school and a dorm for one semester. I want to be around a lot of wakeboarding or at least meet someone with a good boat that will go out many times a week.

If Orlando is what everyone makes it out to be then I could go there but I don't know what it would be like not knowing anyone at all.

I have a cousin that lives in Irvine, California. If there were lakes around I would just move in with her but I don't want to move over there if I won't get to wakeboard often enough.

I know there are a lot of people from CA on here so let me know what you guys think would be the best place to live to ride a whole lot.

Thanks, Justin
Old     (loudah)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-16-2006, 1:10 PM Reply   
Dude no offense but suck it up and graduate, long run you will make more money with a degree from a university than you will ever see from sponsors or winning tournaments! Plus theres a freakin river runnin thru your campus come on thats what college is all about!
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-16-2006, 1:17 PM Reply   
If you want to move to Cali, then you better finish school and get a good job makin good money or you wont be able to afford to do anything let alone wakeboard, Very expensive compared to Texas. Irvine is a very expensive place to live I know I lived in So Cal for over 30 years. IMO you should stay in Texas and finish School.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-16-2006, 1:20 PM Reply   
I third everyones opinion, suck it up and graduate, then you can be or do anything you want, but at least you will have an education to fall back on. BTW, Orlando is not cheap to live either. Also, why would you ever want to get out of school? The college lifestyle was great....you will never be around as many cool people, parties, women, ect. as you are experiencing now. Did I mention women??? Yeah , I did. But it was worth mentioning again...

(Message edited by byrd on August 16, 2006)
Old     (kylielogan)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-16-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
ditto. stay in school. arrange your class schedule so you have free time during the week to ride! that $6K tuition will pay off many times over down the road.
Old     (melanie_g)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-16-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
You need to finish school! Honestly, don't think you'll get down to Florida and find a big happy group that will be thrilled to have another rider. Doesn't work like that here unless you have big bucks to pay for a coach or already know people in high places that will let you ride everyday. Orlando and California are expensive, you'll never get to ride because you'll be working your butt off just to pay rent! Stay in school buddy.
Old     (gehennaengine)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-16-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
Dude, don't listen to these fools. Drop out and live like a bumb. Less competition in the job market for me.

Just kidding, graduate and move on to cubicle greatness and all that other inspirational stuff.
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-16-2006, 2:01 PM Reply   
Okay dude, if the wakeboard discussion board tells you to stay in school you'd better stay in school.
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-16-2006, 2:12 PM Reply   
I wouldnt move to SoCal for the wakeboarding.... there a lot of cool wakeboard peeps there but the closest lake to Irvine is a damn slimey green mud hole and you will be stuck in tons of traffic jus to get to it.

I 8th the stay in school. Plus college is the best place on earth to meet chicks.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-16-2006, 2:22 PM Reply   
Listen to S Dub.. So Cal is not the place to go if you're looking to move for a good place to wakeboard.

I agree, stay in school. You'll just regret it later if you don't.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-16-2006, 2:43 PM Reply   
Six grand is relatively cheap, I had a friend who was from texas and went to UC Davis but she ended up leaving because it would have cost her 20K a year for her to stay it Davis with all the ou o state fees. And that was just for the schooling, add 500$-1000$ for an apartment (depending on how many roommates) and your lookinag at quite a few dollars. If I were you I'd stay in Texas.
Old     (mxjustin)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-16-2006, 2:50 PM Reply   
I just got an apartment and I move in friday.
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-16-2006, 3:09 PM Reply   
Are you talking about SWT in San Marcos? If they still have drive thru beer barns, there is no way you can drop out. I wish I was back there.

check out www.360wakeboard.com and Texas Ski Ranch is in New Braunfels.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-16-2006, 8:15 PM Reply   
dude TSR is down here and the the gaudalupe river. how many other places are you going to go where they have a river and huge tubes with stripper poles on them?!?! I was born and raised in hawaii and I like it here in texas better than I did there...so live it up man!
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-17-2006, 10:15 AM Reply   
two words:

Student Loans
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-17-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
Got Money? Then come to California...seriously one of the most expensive places to live, drive, and play. The lakes are crowded and rough (I am not being sarcastic, just truthful) most of the time...unless you like winter riding and then it is good. When I was in Florida there were several places to ride within an hour of each other and there were few boats on them. I have lived here and used the lakes all of my life but have come to think maybe there is some place else less complicated and not as expensive for my future.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-17-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
get some loans/grants and finish school bro. this is my question: if $6K is giving you problems, how long can you afford to "wakeboard a whole lot"? Doesn't SWT have a wakeboard team? Change your major to kinesiology, take 12 hours, and ride your ass off
Old     (wildbill)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-17-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
Texas State does have a wakeboard team, and its a pretty good one too. Isn't Fooshee on it, or did he graduate?
There is a ton of wakeboarding to be done in the San Marcos/Austin area. A few pros out there too.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-17-2006, 2:37 PM Reply   
I think Fooshee is still on it. he didn't graduate, he just recently turned 21
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-17-2006, 7:29 PM Reply   
Bro stay in school Byrd is right its expensive to live in central Florida, so if you want to ride in the Holy Lands of wakeboarding you better get an education.

Duffy...
Old     (ncbschzzt)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-17-2006, 8:26 PM Reply   
Can't buy a boat working at MceeDs. Stay in school fool
Old     (wakeman21)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-26-2006, 2:02 PM Reply   
Lets see texas state... thats probably about 15-20 mins away from TSR?? and isn't TSU a pretty big party school?

If I were you dropping out and moving to cali or orlando would NEVER cross my mind