Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-05-2012, 11:25 AM Reply   
So I'm looking at the different cable boards offered by each company and I was curious if somebody could give a good comparison of the differences in each company's "slider" base.

One of my main determining factors this time around is how well the board slides. The only experience I have is with Slingshot and CTRL. My 2009 Recoil slides soooo smooth. You never get those "sticky" moments on that board. The CTRL RX I rode on the other hand...it felt like I was sliding a piece of sandpaper.

So how do these compare to the slider bases from LF, Ronix and Hyperlite?

Thanks!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-06-2012, 12:26 PM Reply   
Anybody? Let me be more specific...how does the LF grind base compare to the SS base?
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-06-2012, 5:17 PM Reply   
ill help ya out, the slingshot slider base is definitely one of the best, very tough and slides well. But the LF slider base also is very well done, holds up well and glides over obstacles pretty smooth. Cant go wrong with either.

Oh and Im totally biased but the 2012 LWA boards kill it on obstacles, not available in the US yet tho..
Old     (timmo)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-07-2012, 9:11 AM Reply   
The problem you'll have is not necesarily the base, it's what you are sliding on to.

Any grind base/ dura base/ whatever is made of "a" material that is resistant to wear, but will take knocks (and chunks out of it) rather than the core or top desk itself.

What this means is on some slider types, you can "scratch" in to the grind base, whatever is on the slider. Seriously- go see a park with yellow-topped sliders, all the locals will have a yellow tinge to their base. Blue? You get blue.

So because of that, you can never compare one board with another, as on paper they all do pretty much the same thing, but go scratch them up on a roughly finished a-frame, and however silky smooth it was the first time, it might not be next.

Best thing to do is talk to people who are riding on the obstacles you want to, and see how well their boards have worn. The colour (if there is one) of obstacles might tell you that whatever the theory behind the base material, actually, you just gotta deal with an ever increasing grip problem.

For what it's worth? OBrien grind bases are awesome
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-07-2012, 9:16 AM Reply   
They're all going to break down at some point, I look more for the best backing warranty for when it does.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-07-2012, 11:06 AM Reply   
I didn't think any companies warranty boards that have hit obstacles?? I thought the Obrien board was the one exception.

Thanks for the help. I guess I will just have to try the others and see. I was surprised at how bad the CTRL board stuck since it was mostly billed as a cable board.
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-07-2012, 1:11 PM Reply   
The Phalanx PRK and CRAPP boards will be warranted for slider use. Keep in mind impact and sidewall damage will not be warranted. Boards will become available and drop sometime in May.
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-09-2012, 11:27 AM Reply   
Took some pics of my base...after a summer of shredding rocks, trex rails, metal rails, hdpe plastic..pretty much everything but concrete and wood... Here a few pics i took to show whats good.
Attached Images

Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-10-2012, 2:07 AM Reply   
Do any byerly boards come with a slider base?
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-10-2012, 2:48 PM Reply   
No byerly boards are made with a slider base..
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-10-2012, 3:00 PM Reply   
what about the Byerly Blunt?
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       03-10-2012, 4:32 PM Reply   
Byerly has a few boards this year that have a slider base, I have ridden the 2012 Blunt, (slider base) and it slide very well. I just rode it at OWC so I can only speak for PVC based sliders, or whatever they use.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-10-2012, 6:17 PM Reply   
there is no base on it.. its just the Fiberglass rope sidewall and a double glass on the bottom but its technically not a "base"
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       03-10-2012, 7:00 PM Reply   
Because a lot of people liked riding the Blunt at the cable, they decided to put a slider base on it for 2012. It is a little thinker and much more durable from last year, and from experience it does slide a little smoother than the 2011.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-11-2012, 11:25 AM Reply   
o nice.. i was unaware on the 2012 change.. my bad lol
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-11-2012, 12:24 PM Reply   
Still undecided but thanks for the feedback. I want to try the LF grind bases and see how they compare to the SS base.
Old     (tylerc)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-19-2012, 8:49 PM Reply   
I have had the first LF Lyman grind series board and been using it for cable and sliders the last few years and it's held up very well for the use it's seen. I ride east coast lakes with only a few sliders and I get a trip or two out to OWC/McCormicks during the winter. It's not my primary board but I use it exclusively for the cable. Theres definitely some wear but overall it's held up very well.