Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-14-2003, 1:18 AM Reply   
Anyone know when this thing is due out?

Anyone know for sure why it is so late?

My prediction on this boat: its either going to be a huge flop or a huge disruption to the industry.
If the the boat is awesome, CC/BU are going to be playing catch up like crazy. And, it my be hard for them to drum something up for 2004.

All the current top wakeboard boats from CC/MC/BU are modified ski boats. The new x-star could easily be something amazing.
Old    robw            02-14-2003, 5:42 AM Reply   
I can't imagine being on a slalom ski behind that thing! Oh... I did ski behind a buddy's Maristar 230 once, probably much the same. Anyway, my point is how many people would want a boat that could only be used for wakeboarding? For me, I have spent a wad of cash on a boat and want one that can also be used for some footin', slalom, etc. A big wakeboard boat doesn't seem too amazing to me but maybe I am in the minority here.
Old    indo            02-14-2003, 5:44 AM Reply   
the deckstar, just kidding. i saw the maristar that has the same shape just larger this weekend at the boat show. last i heard they where having trouble getting the wake balanced on the xstar
Old    rndystr            02-14-2003, 6:02 AM Reply   
Word on the street is price for this boat is around $74,000. That seems pretty hefty for a wakeboard boat. Never hurts to color outside the lines and see what happens as long as MC doesnt lose their shirts in the process.
Old     (bigjackamo)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-14-2003, 6:09 AM Reply   
Rob, no disrespt here at all, but are you serious? You don't know why anyone would want to buy a wakeboard boat only? That's funny, of all my friends one has a Super Air, one a SSV, one a Pro Air and one an X-Star, and I have a super Air. All wakeboard specific boats. Might be a small sample, but I think it shows that there is huge demand for wakeboard specific boats. Plus, I know that 79% of the boats comming out of CC factory have towers on them. I imagine MC and BU's numbers are very similar.
Old    robw            02-14-2003, 7:09 AM Reply   
Phil - I meant that as more of a question than a statement. IOW, do the majority of folks want a boat that is truly wakeboard-only? How many would prefer to have a boat that is capable of multi-sport use? Of all the boats you mentioned they are ok for things besides wakeboarding. Towers are great for barefooting on the long line. Drain the tanks on any of them at the end of the day, and the wakes would be fine for most skiers too.
Old    bigd            02-14-2003, 7:25 AM Reply   
They had one at the Dallas boat show. $80,000 price tag. Nice boat - too much money.
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       02-14-2003, 7:33 AM Reply   
80,000!!??

Prediction: X-star is toast.

Old     (22parksm)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-14-2003, 7:54 AM Reply   
ok, In Belgium the price of the new X-star is 79860 Euro
Old     (bigjackamo)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-14-2003, 8:44 AM Reply   
Rob, of the 5 boats that were mentioned before, not one person has skied, tubed, barefooted, kneeboarded, hydrofoiled or done anything else besides wakeboard behind them. I think (and just my opinion) that the majority of people who buy these boats, wakeboard and wakeboard only. Sounds like a good topic for a new thread Rob or maybe even a survey...
Old     (jschwart73)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-14-2003, 9:02 AM Reply   
I had a lenghty conversation with Zane Schwenk at the boat show about the new X-Star. He honestly (the guy wasn't doing a sales job, or if he was, he's damn good, because I'm VERY sceptical) belives that the new X-Star is going to change how wakeboards are built.

Having said that, it does appear that the base MSRP is around $62,500, the better small block engine is a $2000 option.

Is the boat that much better? We're talking over $70k out the door. Not in my book.

Anyone selling an 02' Super Air?

-Jeff
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-14-2003, 10:14 AM Reply   
Rob, my boat has 30 minutes of skiing time and 250 hrs of wakeboarding time. So, I am looking forward to the ultimate wakeboard boat.

However, I doubt my ultimate wakeboard boat is the new X-star. I don't need a huge boat (gas burner) and I don't think it needs to cost more than $50K.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-14-2003, 10:35 AM Reply   
Talked with a colleague of my GF at the boat show. He has ordered the new X-Star and said to me that he is paying "about" the same for it as he did his X-30. I did not ask the question, nor do I know him well enough to press the issue. If my memory serves me correct, he (over)paid approx. 60K for the X-30. So I am currently assuming that he is planning on paying around 60 for the X-Star.

By the way Dane....he told me a delivery date(month), but I cannot remember what he said. It was Spring... I am sure that does not guarantee that he is getting it then....just what he is hearing.

E.J.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-14-2003, 10:57 AM Reply   
Dane, the word at the Seattle Boat Show was that MC can't put the X-Star in the water or anywhere because there's a lawsuit goin' around between MC and Cobalt. Is it true? I have no idea. Other boat dealers told me that.

Isn't lawsuit filings open to the public to read? Where would one find it online?
Old    dropzero            02-14-2003, 11:01 AM Reply   
Joe,

Andre checked on the lawsuit on another post and he said that he could not find anything regarding the MC/Cobalt lawsuit.
Old    jdog7865            02-14-2003, 11:28 AM Reply   
i just called my dealer up, he says that mastercrafts final price is 63,550, but they arew selling extremely fast
Old    mtbmudmachine            02-14-2003, 11:39 AM Reply   
Dane You need a New 60K boat to Show thoes Dot comer's what they are missing when you cruze The Foster city waterway's
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-14-2003, 12:48 PM Reply   
I don't think any current wakeboard boat is a "modified ski boat." A modified ski boat would be a Pro Star 190 with a tower. Before wakeboarding came along, these boats hardly sold, as no one was interrested in a hefty inboard. Now it's all the rage.

As for the X-Star being wakeboard only, I would consider any V-Drive in the same category, I wouldn't slalom behind any of them.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-14-2003, 1:10 PM Reply   
IMO, the first and only wakeboard specific boat is the CC Air Natique. And, that boat, with it's funky hull, was a massive flop!

The new x-star will be the second wakeboard specific boat. And, it's fate is sketchy, at best, so far.

All other boats are v-drive/d-drive ski boats with towers and sacks/tanks in their storage compartments.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-14-2003, 1:12 PM Reply   
Agreed.

E.J.
Old     (john)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-14-2003, 1:52 PM Reply   
Absolutely agree with Dane. The Wakesetter's hull was Malibu's premier water ski hull before the Diamond hull. Same with MC's X-Star and others.
I suspect boat manufacturers are finding it difficult to design a hull that makes sense. A hull that has a relatively flat bottom to displace water necessary for large wakes, riding low in the water eliminating the need for excessive ballast, with enough seating to accomodate the entire "crew", while still being efficient enough to not suck gas at a frenetic pace. It seems to be much easier to improve the ski hulls and call the previous generation hull a Wakeboard boat. And why not, they've sold a ton of 'em that way!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-14-2003, 2:21 PM Reply   
ok, I agree if we're talking hulls, but I thought you were talking boats. I v-drive is NOT a ski boat.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-14-2003, 3:10 PM Reply   
Dane, don't you mean the Pro Air Nautique? I thought the air nauti hull was the TSC2 same as the super air?
Old    gotpwr            02-14-2003, 3:24 PM Reply   
Dane, you bring up an interesting point about the Pro Air Nautique. When I bought my Air Nautique in '00, if you wanted the ultimate wakeboard boat you bought a Pro Air. Now the Pro Air has been discontinued and the Super Air is CC's ultimate wakeboard boat. Why didn't CC apply the hull modifications from the Pro Air to the Super Air? Both hulls are based on the Sport Nautique so it would be a no brainer. I think that if the new X-star sells decent CC will probably do something like this. Maybe a Super Pro Air Nautique? I believe CC had the right idea with the Pro Air Nautique, they just applied it to the wrong drive configuration(DD vs. VD). It will be interesting to see what happens with the X-Star. Although I like having a boat like my Air Nautique that can do a little bit of everything, I believe that wakeboarding specific hulls are the way the industry is headed. The current Super Air hull is basically a Ski Nautique TSC hull with an extra 1 1/2' in the middle. Imagine if it had a hull designed specifically for wakeboarding? I think the new X-Star is only the beginning....

(Message edited by gotpwr on February 14, 2003)
Old     (mcsammamish)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-15-2003, 11:39 AM Reply   
With the size of the boat, they are probably going after the family I/O market too. The majority of people are going to be doing everything but slalom skiing and having a huge wake at 17 to 24 MPH is going to come along with a boat of this size and weight. IMO and just one of them.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-15-2003, 12:45 PM Reply   
Yes, me bad, Pro Air Nautique (not Air Nautique).

BTW, my understanding was that the wake on that PAN was not nearly as good as the SAN (I love it when boats have cool initials:-), over 210 and such).
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-15-2003, 4:55 PM Reply   
A buddy of mine has a '99 Pro Air. IMO, the wake is sweet with minimal ballast and people. I've been behind an '03 210 TE with ballast, lead, people and it was huge too, the wakes just seem a bit different shaped. I liked 'em both! I agree on the intials vs. #'s too!....For the record, I'll take a Wake specific boat any day
Old     (doubleup)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-16-2003, 11:06 AM Reply   
Here is info I got from a reliable source coming from the MC factory:

They are only making 40 in '03. They only have 1 mold.

9 to copes(collected 6 deposits) 9 to ski world(all 9 have deposits). So almost half will be in Nor Cal.

Production to begin in March. so we wont see them until mid April beginning of june.

Unless you are in nor cal good luck seeing/riding one(if all this true)
Old    tbarrett            02-16-2003, 11:41 AM Reply   
I have heard that the hulls do not release from the mold cleanly. When they are released from the mold either the hull or the mold has to be repaired. If what I heard is correct and what doubleup has is reliable info, then it's no wonder why they can't mass produce. It's all just a guess until someone from MC can truley say. Dane, I think you posted a picture of the transom bottom several months ago. I have seen the boat at expo in Florida but maybe you could dig that photo up and see if it has any funny angles that might cause a production problem. Just curious.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-16-2003, 4:14 PM Reply   
Can anyone say, "WetJet"?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-16-2003, 7:05 PM Reply   
Well they better get it together soon cause it supposed to be pulling the pro tour this year. Would be quite a laugh if they had to pull it with the x-2.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-16-2003, 8:43 PM Reply   
Wow, only 40 x-stars for the year! And, I would bet the X-2 is not selling as well as last years x-star. Anyone know how many x-stars were sold last year? This new x-star could really sock it to MC in the revenue department.
Old    akman            02-16-2003, 8:45 PM Reply   
Dane, Do you have an email address?

If you do can you send it to mine?

Thanks Gramps
Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-16-2003, 8:48 PM Reply   
Just returned from the los angeles show and no x star there, funny how the brochure is dominated by an x star but non existant in reality. they did have a x2 with a sticker price of $43,000 no stereo.
Old     (22parksm)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-16-2003, 9:36 PM Reply   
Inthe boatshow in Belgium the had the X-star, but the day before the show started they had to bring him back fore some reasen. ANd there are 200 X-stars for the hole world. 1 for Belgium
Old    nick360            02-17-2003, 11:21 AM Reply   
No offense meant by this Koen, but I find it hard to believe that if MC were really able to build 200 X-Stars, that only 40 of them (assuming this is a correct number) would stay in the U.S. and 160 would be shipped over-seas.
Old     (22parksm)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-17-2003, 12:02 PM Reply   
Every Country one boat. This is the fact!!!
The one for Belgium is there over one month
Sorry to say it but the dealer from Belgium is a very good friend of my. Usa is not the only country where Wakeboarding exist!!!
Old     (jrudd)      Join Date: May 2002       02-17-2003, 12:24 PM Reply   
The NEW X-Star has not been in Belgium for over a month. MAYBE the prototype was there, which I highly doubt. The last production date from Mastercraft for the NEW X-Star was end of January to first of February.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-17-2003, 12:33 PM Reply   
From what I know, MC has only TWO x-star prototypes that they have been parading around the USA. Would MC really pay to transport that boat around Europe? Thats a huge expense for little reward (they are already sold out, so they say!). I have doubts about the new x-star being outside of the USA.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-17-2003, 12:34 PM Reply   
It sure would be nice for someone at corporate Mastercraft to take some hints from guys like Rich Tinker at Skiers Choice, and get on this board to address their market directly instead of letting the rumor mill run rampant……what’s the word MC?
Old    wakerookie            02-17-2003, 12:40 PM Reply   
Who cares if they make it or not, the boat is fugly! If all you care about is wake size, than buy a tug boat. Have you ever seen the wake those bad boys put out, its massive. Oh yeah, I forgot, it wouldn't handle that well. Oh well, for 70k I'll buy a place at the lake "settle" for a malibu and have enough left over for a massive par -tay.
Old     (22parksm)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-17-2003, 12:50 PM Reply   
OK, the boat that I saw was a gost, mmmmm. If you say so.
Old    siggi            02-17-2003, 1:59 PM Reply   
sorry guys, but Koen is right!
I`ve seen the new x-star on the boatshow in Duesseldorf(Germany). They broght it from Belgium to germany and then to London! Believe it or not! (The dealer, a guy i know quite well, told me that there are only two prototypes for all boatshows! He told me that it isn`t to sell, just for exhibition(the one i saw)
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-17-2003, 2:15 PM Reply   
Patience is a virtue you all must learn!

Good things come to those who wait!
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-17-2003, 3:26 PM Reply   
we waited 25 years for the new star wars movies and they werent worth it
Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       02-17-2003, 3:27 PM Reply   
Says the Mastercraft dealer. It's gonna take more than that Brad! Get on the horn and express the sentiments from this board to your supplier.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-17-2003, 3:43 PM Reply   
Brad's not a MC sales person anymore, check his profile.
Old     (aoblak)      Join Date: Jan 2002       02-18-2003, 5:39 AM Reply   
I looked ath the new X-Star at the Detroit Boat show last weekend. I was told that they are in production and my dealer was getting 4 and they had deposits on 2 (he was really pushing me to put a deposit on one)I had to explain to him that I would never buy anything the first year, it still needs to be proved out. I fthin the boat is pretty cheap looking on the inside (my opinion) it just isn't very plush on the inside. I was told that if I wanted to order the boat that it started around 60,000 but you probaly want to upgrade the motor @ 2,000, by the time you have all the options that you want or need the boat will be around 70,000. In this day and age I will not pay 70,000 for a wakeboard boat.
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-18-2003, 6:55 AM Reply   
Dane, Where would Tige fit in the "wakeboard only" boats. Seems the 03 line is pretty well aimed at boarding only. Am I missing something on these boats?
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-18-2003, 8:47 AM Reply   
Keith, I have little experience with Tige. I do know that they had many issues with wake quality and boat quality in the past but are spoken of highly now. I am also biased against wood in boats. Yet, Tige deserves credit for making changes when they are needed. I would look at Supra and Sanger after CC/MC/BU (Sanger also has wood).
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-18-2003, 9:18 AM Reply   
I was NEVER a MC salesman, I only used to run the websites for an MC dealer. Oh and I was a Mastercraft owner long before I ever had my checks signed by a Mastercraft Dealer! Looking at a newer Malibu though! I think both boats are great!
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-20-2003, 6:45 AM Reply   
I was not actually talking about wakes, just that the line up has boats specifically intended for wakeboarding. I think even the 21V was designed as a board boat from the beginning, no ski background (not with that beam). As for the other stuff, it's all a matter of opinion.
Old    mcboats            02-28-2003, 11:24 AM Reply   
To clear up some things the boat will cost around 60k well loaded. And yes there will be limited production this year, however 40 is not the correct number.

PS SUPRA=RICK TINKER=WET JET
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-28-2003, 11:35 AM Reply   
Brian... Maybe I am ignorant, but what does this mean..

"PS SUPRA=RICK TINKER=WET JET"

I hope it is a running joke with you and Mr. Tinker.

E.J.
Old    mcboats            02-28-2003, 11:40 AM Reply   
Rick is now runing Supra right?
RIck was also part of the wet jet project at mastercraft infact he was a major part. it is in response to someone comparing the new X-star with the wet jet project.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-28-2003, 11:49 AM Reply   
I just got off the phone with a representative at Mastercraft and he said that the first X-Stars are coming of the line as we speak. One of the first will be the one that will get all dressed up for the Pro Tour.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-03-2003, 9:52 AM Reply   
Thanks Dave! Finally some info I can actually believe!
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-04-2003, 1:10 PM Reply   
Brian- Come on... I think you know some of the story behind the the Wet Jet, and if so you also know at what point Rick became a "part" of that project. Your "equation" is very misleading. ...And after I went of out my way to say nice things about Travis in another thread.....

Now, how soon will you be ready for a pull? I spent several hours getting the boat ready last Saturday, and I'm ready for the season to start!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-04-2003, 2:30 PM Reply   
Jeff your Stealth SSV is beautiful, i'm very jealous.

For those not in the know whats is the wet jet project?
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-04-2003, 5:05 PM Reply   
Darren- Thanks. It's a great boat.

Check your e-mail.

Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-04-2003, 5:59 PM Reply   
Jeff, Darren isn't the only curious person on the board. We all want to know what the wet jet project was.

Brian, If your trying to slam Rick you picked the wrong place to do it. Rick has been on this board for a long time helping people with any and all questions they might have. I have only met him one time in person but I feel pretty safe in saying his character is first rate.
Old    hockeyruss            03-05-2003, 7:39 AM Reply   
I just don't understand how you can buy a 21ft I/O with a 5.7l V-8 for 25grand, and yet you put a 2k tower on it and a 3k V-Drive and all of a sudden you have a 45-50k boat. The industry is killing us, I am not comparing v-drives to I/o's for the shape of the hull etc, but saying fiberglass is fiberglass and a 5.7l chevy/ford block is the same whether it is mercruiser, indmar or whatever. We are all getting hosed by manufacturers here (myself included) and it is not right. And the quality issues, I am sorry but I have seen i/o's built for salt water that use a lot more stainless steel and high quality parts for less money than a lot cheaper built wakeboard boats.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-05-2003, 7:55 AM Reply   
GREAT POINT.

It is difficult for me to pull the trigger on a V-Drive(have been looking for over a year) when for the same price I could get a bigger Cobalt and have more boat. Less wake granted, but all the same, MUCH more boat.

E.J.

P.S. Having friends with inboards makes this decision a bit easier.
Old    hockeyruss            03-05-2003, 9:32 AM Reply   
Yo Deuce, clean up that mullet before the next Blues home game, eh?
Old    sprucie            03-05-2003, 10:11 AM Reply   
Deuce the blues may have won in OT last night but the Preds will be ready to go on 3/15. BTW what the hell did you do during MEM in May to get booked. Assuming your pic is really you.:-)
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-05-2003, 10:29 AM Reply   
Photo was before Sharon and I had our kids Aimee, Jack and Kelly....
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-05-2003, 11:03 AM Reply   
Is not having kids a bookable offense in Tennessee?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-05-2003, 11:18 AM Reply   
I think the mullet and hockey jersey is the problem. They take their mullets & related attire serious in the Southeast. Would have been fine with that mullet and a NASCAR, WWF or monster truck jacket. But this was prior to the Canadian hockey invasion and thus the arrest was imminent.

E.J.