Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-09-2006, 11:09 PM Reply   
Has anyone heard any information on Slingshots new wakeboards. I know they have built boards for a long time for kiteboarding. I am interested in their flex technology.

I don't really understand why a flexible board would help in wakeboarding. When do wakeboards flex? I know that they have to flex a little on landings, but what is the advantage of this new technology.

I am in the market for a new wakeboard to replace my Watson 138. I like the Watson but went back to my Substance 138 because I felt like it popped me in a more predictable way. I would like to get a new board w/ tons of pop and have been waiting to see info on the Ronix line. I would also like to look at these new boards but can't find information on them.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-10-2006, 5:56 AM Reply   
Well, as a kiteboarder I know why flex is used in kiteboards, but Im not sure it will help much in wakeboarding. Kiteboarders use flex to maintain control in chop and also to control drag in the water. That is part of how a kiteboarder controls his speed.

in wakeboarding with all variables being static (smooth water and constant speed), Im not sure why having alot of flex would help your performance.

Only thing I could think of is if a rider wanted to flex the board to have a slightly slower board on some tricks, but I think consistant board performance is preferred.

I do hear the new SS board is SICK for kiteboarding.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-10-2006, 7:19 AM Reply   
For one, a board that flexs should land softer. The down side is that it could also absorb some of the pop.

(Message edited by jarrod on October 10, 2006)
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-10-2006, 9:40 AM Reply   
Do the flex boards snap back after flexing, it seems like the recoil could add pop in a way, but if it is a slow return to its normal shape it would definitely take away. It seems like the Slingshot flexes more than the Roam. I would like to see a good picture of the boots that they are selling too. They look like they could be comfortable.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-10-2006, 10:04 AM Reply   
I am waiting to see if a company can make a board with a dampening system. Something that minimizes the effects of chop, that would be cool.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-10-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
The Roam flexes, no?
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-10-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
"The down side is that it could also absorb some of the pop."

Not at all, it will just be a completely different type of pop.
It is more focused on a snowboarding style. In wakeboarding, the 'sweet spot' to pop on a board is right in the center. In snowboarding, and on these new Slingshot boards, the pop will be derived from the very tail of the board. It will hopefully bring a whole new style and way of riding to the sport. I have been talking to the new to-be SS distributors in Canada, and they are very excited and have high hopes. I personally, coming from a snowboard background, can't WAIT to get on one.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-10-2006, 10:40 AM Reply   
And yes, the Roam flexes, but it is very hard to compare it to a normal wakeboard because it is just so different (having no edges, and all)...
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-10-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
"Not at all, it will just be a completely different type of pop. "

I think you just proved my point. If you rode it like a normally wake board, like the roam, it wouldn't pop as well.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-10-2006, 10:48 AM Reply   
Well, true. But you dont ride it like a wakeboard, you ride it like a snowboard :-)
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-10-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
Think about it, flex is changing the rockerline of the board. in wakeboarding it is generally ideal to have a stiffer board to make the pop consistent. Imagine every time you cut its like your riding a different board depending on how hard you edge.

In kiteboarding this is useful, because you want the board to be flatter while your cruising (more efficient and faster when only being powered by the wind) but you want it to flex adding rocker whe loading up for tricks.

In wakeboarding you are never underpowered and the power is constant from the boat. You never need the board to be more efficient sometimes and less efficient in others. A super flexy board is pointless in something as static as wakeboarding.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-10-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
I know what Aden is saying. If you guys have ever watch a guy like Jason Callen SERIOUSLY kill it on a Roam, you would understand. The pop comes from the tail of the board like an Ollie (sp?) motion. Jason goes just as big on the Roam as other guys do on a normal board....just wih different technique.
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-10-2006, 1:23 PM Reply   
I went to a competition at Koppert lake and Collin Wright, and the president of SlingShot were there. I got to try on the boots get a feel for how the board works, off the water. The board is almost more like a snowboard then a wakeboard. It has a flex wood core. It is way lighter and thinner then foam boards. The boots are made at the some place Ronix is made. They are off the hook. 4 hole mount so there is no heal or toe lift. So you are really locked onto the board. This felt like it would give you a lot more control and makes a huge different actually. I didn't actually get to ride Collin's setup, just stood in it and got a feel for it. So I don't know how it pops of the wake. They were saying just carving around on it is the funnest part. Collin took a set and at first just carved around for a while before doing anything. It looked like it really made a difference. As a company their goals and attitude are right on, in my opinion. I am definately going to look into Slingshot since I also snowboard I think the feel of the flex will make a real sick ride.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-10-2006, 1:58 PM Reply   
Any of you guys kiteboard as well?
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       10-10-2006, 2:46 PM Reply   
"It has a flex wood core. It is way lighter and thinner then foam boards."

The only thing I hear is busted board, busted board, busted board.
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-10-2006, 9:54 PM Reply   
bg, Its constructed like a snowboard snowboard snowboard. Its very durable. It's not fiberglassed or foamed. I am not really sure what it is. But if you pick up your snowboard, its feels like that with out the metal edges.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       10-11-2006, 1:59 AM Reply   
sounds very interesting. I'm much more into wakeskating these days, but I'm considering one of the flex-style boards, just for fun. Anyway, I really like the "golf bag" they sent bill mccaffray. :-)
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-11-2006, 11:16 AM Reply   
Possible for wakeskates to turn flexy like the wakeboard also, or will wakeskates stay the same?

Just a thought.

And like Nick said, the bindings from SS are amazing. Completely snowboard style with 4 screws in the middle of the baseplate. Shoelace tie-up liner that comes out, just like a snowboard boot. I can't wait.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-11-2006, 12:08 PM Reply   
Nick im pretty sure a snowboard is vacuum bagged fiberglass on top of a wood core. and id hope theyd do the same for a wakeboard, because we all know wood and water dont mix, so fiberglass would make a good seal
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       10-11-2006, 12:13 PM Reply   
well, the bi-level already uses properties of flex, and even though I never rode one, I do know that jason messer was playing around with flex in his old wakeskates. So yes, I definitely think that could work in wakeskating (and I guess omen utilizes flex sections as well)...
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-11-2006, 3:20 PM Reply   
Naked is correct our Effigy board does utilize bi lateral flex patterns. Soting energy and releasing it when someone wants it.