Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-09-2005, 7:32 AM Reply   
Total curiosity question, but does anyone know what line lengths and speeds the pro's ride at in tournaments? I'm sure it varies from rider to rider, but when we see Harf or Soven in the X-games for example, any idea on what speed/length they are probably riding at? How about the girls? Do the girls ride slower and at shorter lengths...also do the girls ride with less ballast or do they keep the boat weighted the same?
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-09-2005, 7:35 AM Reply   
Based on a couple of articles in the mags, the pro's typically ride 80-85 feet, some longer. I think speed depends on the person and how much weight is in the boat.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-09-2005, 8:29 AM Reply   
I don't know, but I do think riding too long for your ability hinders your riding. I see a lot of guys these day riding between 70-80 that are still struggling for consistent TS jumps. IMO, these riders are slowing their progression.

Maybe a little off topic, sorry.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-09-2005, 8:35 AM Reply   
Most of the riders ride 80' @ 24-25 mph in a tournament. Longer lines and more speed for freeriding.
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-09-2005, 8:59 AM Reply   
J-Rod...I hear what you are saying. I'm a first year rider and I ride at 65-70ft 21-22 mph. Not looking to move back anytime soon, just curious as to what I'm seeing on TV. Quick Question though...for learning TS jumps and even 3's, I've heard its a good idea to go back to 80-85 feet so that you don't have to centrate on going wake to wake with the trick, just taking it one wake and having a large area to land in. Then once you get that dialed, come back in to 65ft and try to take it W2W. Any truth in this theory?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-09-2005, 9:13 AM Reply   
That may work well for some.

I would actually do the opposite. For TS jumps start short and then take your rope longer.

Most guys rush the spin when they're learning 3s. If you can do big, slow 180s, you have time for the 3.
Old     (atlsackedup)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-09-2005, 9:26 AM Reply   
Thanks for the tips J-Rod...will keep it in mind as I try to progress.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-09-2005, 10:19 AM Reply   
I agree with J-Rod here. I used to set my rope at 50 feet to learn some new tricks that don't require a ton of time. Call me nutts, but I've gone as short as 45', which is a pain for cutting out and probably not needed.