Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-11-2012, 9:57 AM Reply   
It was suggested in another thread that we should have a place to discuss the various Slingshot boards. I agree and am trying to create a thread for that purpose. I am far from an expert on their boards, but I did gather some information from their website to get this thread rolling. If you have any questions for others to answer, or want to give your opinion, please do so.

Whip

(135, 139, 143)
Continuous Rocker
Atomic C Core
V Bottom
Molded Fins
$549

Lyman

(136, 140, 144)
Subtle 3-Stage Rocker
Atomic C Core
V Bottom
Molded Fins
$549

Newton

(137, 142, 145)
Continuous Rocker
Atomic C Core
Single Concave Molded Channel
$499

Kine

(137, 141, 145)
Subtle 3-Stage Rocker
Atomic C Core
Dual Molded Channels
$499

Hooke

(134, 138, 142, 146)
3-Stage Rocker
Atomic C Core
Double V Molded Channels
$499

Shredtown

(135, 139, 143)
Continuous Rocker
Atomic C Core
$419

Response

(137, 142, 145)
Continuous Rocker
Atomic Core
$419

Reflex

(137, 141, 145)
Subtle 3-Stage Rocker
Atomic Core
$419

Recoil

(134, 138, 142, 146)
3-Stage Rocker
Atomic Core
$419

Choice

(137, 142)
Continuous Rocker
Bio Sensor Core
$319
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-11-2012, 10:31 AM Reply   
Hooke, Newton and Kine are all part of the Ballistic Series. These decks are a little stiffer but offer more pop than the standard decks. They use the Atomic C core which is made from 100% Colombian Gold wood. The Ballistic Series is also the only series of decks from Slingshot with the all wood bottom, the picture of the Lyman is a proto board, it actually has a black bottom.

LYMAN - This board also uses the Atomic C core although it is not part of the Ballistic Series. First Slingshot to feature molded fins. This board is thicker and stiffer than any other Slingshot deck, but still manages to flex. Not as much flex as my 09 Recoil but still I will was surprised at the amount of flex. This is probably the most aggressive board on the market and it lands softer than any board its class guaranteed.

Recoil/Response/Reflex- The boards that started it all. Flat bottoms, wood cores and Urethane sidewalls. For the price you pay for these decks they are worth every penny. Won't ride with the speed or pop of their Ballistic counter parts but will be more than enough board for 90% of people out there. I love 09 Recoil so much I refused to sell it when I got my Lyman. (I usually always sell my boards when I'm done.)

I know nothing about the Whip. I will have a choice in my hands next week (just picked one up for my little brother.)

If anybody has any Slingshot questions you can shoot me a PM.
Old     (Gears)      Join Date: May 2010       04-11-2012, 12:54 PM Reply   
Got a 145 kine for the boat and don't think I will be switching from slingshot for a few seasons yet, came from a Watson hybrid and slingshot ballistic boards are everything the Watson wasn't. Perfect amount of flex for the boat. Just wish we had stockist where I'm from so i could buy more without having to wait a month at a time.
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       04-11-2012, 3:58 PM Reply   
Thanks fellas!

It just seems like I cant go wrong with a ballistic series. Ive come from a long line of subtle 3 stage boards, but the last few seasons have been on the tribute. I wanted more speed than my old premier and era boards and it was the right move. Also, I've always been in the 140/142 area at 6' tall. I'm really considering the kind/newton 145.

I'm not opposed to the whip or Lyman but just am worried they won't have enough noticeable flex.

Thoughts?
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-11-2012, 4:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj2up10 View Post
Thanks fellas!

It just seems like I cant go wrong with a ballistic series. Ive come from a long line of subtle 3 stage boards, but the last few seasons have been on the tribute. I wanted more speed than my old premier and era boards and it was the right move. Also, I've always been in the 140/142 area at 6' tall. I'm really considering the kind/newton 145.

I'm not opposed to the whip or Lyman but just am worried they won't have enough noticeable flex.

Thoughts?
Don't rule out the Hooke either, it's got a lot of speed and tons of pop. It will still have a noticeable amount of flex but will probably have more pop than the other two ballistic series decks.

Not a ton of flex in the Lyman compared to the rest of the line up but tons of speed, pop and it holds a great line.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-11-2012, 4:37 PM Reply   
I currently ride an '09 Murray. I'm looking to get something different this year. I have ridden both the Response and the Recoil, and like the recoil better of the two. However, they are a little too "loose" for me. How do the boards with bottom features ride compared to the two I've been on?
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-11-2012, 5:43 PM Reply   
if you like the recoil better but want something with a little more tracking loot at a hooke.
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       04-11-2012, 6:02 PM Reply   
I've always loved a looser ride-a snowboard feel, but felt the response didn't hold quite as well as I wanted. Yeah it might have been bad form or relying on channels too much over the years, but it really forced you to concentrate on perfect edge hold to the top...otherwise an early release which effects pop and everthing else. I'm assuming the ballistic channels arent really a ton better but likely the perfect amount needed.

I won't rule out the Hooke either, but it reminds me why I'm glad this thread is rolling-the slingshot line up is just tough to get water time before a purchase. For me anyway...

Still would love to hear everyone's thoughts on going a bit longer. A repped slingshot rider was saying he was going to bump up a size to get more flex behind the boat and on rails.

Last edited by Dj2up10; 04-11-2012 at 6:04 PM.
Old     (mcane6)      Join Date: Aug 2010       04-11-2012, 10:10 PM Reply   
LYMAN
Has some major pop with soft landings but is very loose
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-11-2012, 10:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcane6 View Post
LYMAN
Has some major pop with soft landings but is very loose
i disagree, the lyman is not loose at all compared to any other board in the slingshot line. feels as locked in as my ronix one.
Old     (Gears)      Join Date: May 2010       04-12-2012, 1:55 AM Reply   
He might ride the Lyman with no bolt on fins only the moulded?
Old     (BTV)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-12-2012, 7:09 AM Reply   
Thinking about trying the Whip. No dealers to demo from near me. Currently ride a 2011 Viva. Looking for flex board for boat that will be a little looser than the Viva. Whip or some other board? Thanks
Old     (Prestoooooo)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-12-2012, 12:15 PM Reply   
I rode the 2011 Kine all last summer and then bought a 2012 last fall. I decided to sell the new Kine because of the changes they made in the 2012 line up. Supposedly the 2012 boards in general are a little on the stiff side as compared to previous years and I didn't like how stiff my new Kine was. It felt really looked in and fast during cuts. It wasn't nearly as playful as the 2011 and loose on the water, which is likely what they wanted to happen for 2012 to distinguish between the team series and ballistic series. I feel like any of the slingshot boards would be great behind boat it just depends on if you want that loose, playful feel or the more locked in, aggressive style board. I ended up buying a 2012 reflex for boat because I enjoy buttering around but also wanted that straight up pop the Kine had.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-12-2012, 12:23 PM Reply   
wish someone would do this for CTRL
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-12-2012, 1:59 PM Reply   
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=82677526954

Good deal on a used 2011 kine 137.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-12-2012, 3:44 PM Reply   
I'm starting to think its between the Kine and Hooke.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-12-2012, 3:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
wish someone would do this for CTRL
Start one. That's what I did.
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       04-12-2012, 5:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter660 View Post
I'm starting to think its between the Kine and Hooke.
I can't get myself to consider a 3 stage, but everyone says that the Hooke still carries enough speed. Also I'm riding behind an old 210, so the predictable pop on that kicker of a wake is also why I'm thinking newton.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-12-2012, 6:27 PM Reply   
I have an 03 210 and I dunno why but I only enjoy 3 stage off that wake. The Lyman rips that wake apart. The last continuous board I rode was a hype tfd.
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       04-13-2012, 1:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post
I have an 03 210 and I dunno why but I only enjoy 3 stage off that wake. The Lyman rips that wake apart. The last continuous board I rode was a hype tfd.
Yup, same boat...such an awesome wake. I'm so grateful to ride behind that...when I actually get to the lake.

I was on the Premier and Era for so long and just wanted more speed, which is why I switched to the Tribute (Nelson is one of my heroes too).

So the hooke and lyman need to be thrown into the mix as well since were on the same wake. The big question I have about the Lyman is, does it flex enough?
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-13-2012, 5:12 PM Reply   
^^ Depends on what you're used to. It will flex more than the tribute. It has plenty of flex for me and I was riding an 09 recoil before this and that board has a lot of flex. The Lyman and Hooke are both using the atomic c core which is the stiffest in the line. You will get more flex from the Hooke than the Lyman but you may also want to look at a recoil which is a blast behind the 210. My recommendation would be to get a Hooke as it is the best of both worlds.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-14-2012, 2:12 PM Reply   
Digging the Kine and Hooke...actually they all look really awesome.

Any suggestions for cable riding?
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-14-2012, 2:19 PM Reply   
Response reflex or shredtown.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-14-2012, 8:19 PM Reply   
Why do you recommend those three decks? Why over the Ballistics?
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-14-2012, 8:25 PM Reply   
More flex, all have urethane sidewalls for durability. Shred town will have least flex as atomic c core is stiffer but poppier.
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-15-2012, 11:07 AM Reply   
Slingshot's boards are all so good this year.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-15-2012, 12:05 PM Reply   
^^ you can't speak until we get more lipsmack.
Old     (BTV)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-19-2012, 11:59 AM Reply   
Anybody ride the Whip behind boat yet? Thoughts?
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-23-2012, 7:26 PM Reply   
i currently ride an 09 lyman limited. want to make the switch to slingshot for several reasons. I love howloose my Lyman is. Im looking at the recoil, how does the looseness compare to the LF lyman? Also wanting to go back to an aggressive three stage.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-23-2012, 10:51 PM Reply   
I've never ridden the Lyman, but I'm shredding the 2012 Recoil on boat and cable day in and day out. The other day I took a rare set on a "traditional" board, the LF Witness. It made me realize just how comparatively tight my Recoil is.

The biggest difference between a Slingshot and any other board is the edges. They're sharp and thin, like the rails of a snowboard, and they flat out bite. Even though the screw-in fins are small and the bottom is totally flat and featureless, the Recoil tracks hard. It's probably not the best board for a beginner, as it can easily overpower a rider with weak or sloppy edge control. Edge catches are going to suck. HARD. However, when used correctly, the edges can generate one hell of a cut.

As for the pop, well, I've never ridden anything else like it. It's unreal. The kick you get from the snappy flex in the tail is just incredible. It's addictive!
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-23-2012, 11:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
I've never ridden the Lyman, but I'm shredding the 2012 Recoil on boat and cable day in and day out. The other day I took a rare set on a "traditional" board, the LF Witness. It made me realize just how comparatively tight my Recoil is.

The biggest difference between a Slingshot and any other board is the edges. They're sharp and thin, like the rails of a snowboard, and they flat out bite. Even though the screw-in fins are small and the bottom is totally flat and featureless, the Recoil tracks hard. It's probably not the best board for a beginner, as it can easily overpower a rider with weak or sloppy edge control. Edge catches are going to suck. HARD. However, when used correctly, the edges can generate one hell of a cut.

As for the pop, well, I've never ridden anything else like it. It's unreal. The kick you get from the snappy flex in the tail is just incredible. It's addictive!
how do you like your 2012 compared to the 2010?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-24-2012, 7:51 AM Reply   
It's the same feeling, but stiffer and better made. There's still enough flex for rails. I'm not sure if it pops any better. It's slightly heavier, but that's a price I'm willing to pay because it stands up to abuse better than the 2010 did.

Slingshot's construction really has come a long way in two years, but the ride is very similar.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-24-2012, 8:09 AM Reply   
That's really saying something too because I thought my 2009 Recoil was built at top notch quality. But then I got my Lyman and my little brother picked up the Choice and you can see they have come a long way in their first 5 years.
Old     (Mikhale)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-24-2012, 11:56 AM Reply   
with bored would be better for the boat recoil or the hooke i want a really fun board
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-24-2012, 4:05 PM Reply   
recoil or response depending on whether you like 3 stage or continuous, these boards will be flexier than boards like the hooke or newton because the atomic core vs atomic c core. atomic c is stiffer.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-24-2012, 4:19 PM Reply   
I'd recommend the Hooke over the Recoil for pure boat riding. That's what it's made for. The softer Recoil is more of a cable/crossover board.
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-24-2012, 6:59 PM Reply   
Anyone who is interested or in Orlando!

Lipsmack world premiere May 12th at the Plaza Live in Orlando,FL Saturday Night!

Going to be awesome. Tons of giveaways, boards, swag. Free ENTRY!
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-24-2012, 9:05 PM Reply   
I wish that there was a northern California premier!
Old     (MrPeepers)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-25-2012, 8:13 AM Reply   
'11 Response here. I love being able to break it loose or get on edge and have the softest landings I have ever experienced. Such a fun board.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       04-25-2012, 6:25 PM Reply   
I got a hooke and I'm hooked
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-25-2012, 9:29 PM Reply   
These boards are nothing short of amazing. I switched over from LF Witness this year and got both a recoil 146 and response 145. I've ridden both behind the boat and have to say they absolutely perform as advertised. Both pop very well (although a different, more tail heavy pop) and send you straight up and down wake to wake. The landings are soft even out in the flats.

My primary reason for switching was an effort to try and take it easy on my right knee which is two years out from ACL reconstruction. I'm so much more confident on these boards and am loving the way they ride. I'm able to ride harder and go bigger without the hard landings.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-25-2012, 9:51 PM Reply   
Bottom line you can't go wrong with slingshot, just got some 2012 rad boots, riding them this weekend. If you buy fom slingshot then you will guaranteed get your money's worth.
Old     (alex_hunter)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-29-2012, 2:14 PM Reply   
Which board will break loose easier, hooke or newton?
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-29-2012, 7:35 PM Reply   
Newton will break free easier, mostly due to the fact that it comes with smaller fins. I think the channels on all the ballistic series are pretty much the same. Someone chime in if I'm wrong, I only have the team series of both these boards (recoil and response).
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-29-2012, 7:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyost View Post
Newton will break free easier, mostly due to the fact that it comes with smaller fins. I think the channels on all the ballistic series are pretty much the same. Someone chime in if I'm wrong, I only have the team series of both these boards (recoil and response).
I have not seen them all, but the descriptions of the channels are different from board to board on the website.
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       04-29-2012, 8:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyost View Post
These boards are nothing short of amazing. I switched over from LF Witness this year and got both a recoil 146 and response 145. I've ridden both behind the boat and have to say they absolutely perform as advertised. Both pop very well (although a different, more tail heavy pop) and send you straight up and down wake to wake. The landings are soft even out in the flats.

My primary reason for switching was an effort to try and take it easy on my right knee which is two years out from ACL reconstruction. I'm so much more confident on these boards and am loving the way they ride. I'm able to ride harder and go bigger without the hard landings.
What's your take on going with the 146 and 145? I've always been around 142 but have considered going up with slingshot.

Any words of wisdom?
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-29-2012, 8:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj2up10 View Post
What's your take on going with the 146 and 145? I've always been around 142 but have considered going up with slingshot.

Any words of wisdom?
I went from a Recoil 142 to a Lyman 144 and I love it, more rocker in the longer board. It takes a few sets to get used to but I prefer it now.
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-01-2012, 11:36 AM Reply   
Only 4 sets on a new SS Lyman, but I'm really liking this board! I'm coming from a CWB Transcend, and I was riding that w/the "short" extensions, and have ridden some with the extensions off. W/or w/o the extensions, the Lyman is WAY faster, and edges like a razor! The pop is really good, and the landings have been really good. Overall the Lyman feels much more lively and responsive in the water, makes the Transcend feel a little slow. I like the lightweight of the Lyman also.
I will second what the HHammer said about catching an edge, it SUCKS! Better not be lazy with any backside board slides...

More info after additional sets, but so far very happy!

My setup;
Ronix One bindings
bolt on fins
Old     (AWAKE)      Join Date: May 2012       05-03-2012, 1:36 PM Reply   
Patrick was nice enough to answer a few questions for us about Lipsmack and his process. Thought you all might like the read. Excited for the video to come out.

http://awakeleftcoast.com/2012/05/02...ipsmack-story/
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-04-2012, 8:16 AM Reply   
I wish he would give us one last teaser
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-04-2012, 8:43 AM Reply   
I would agree with your statement. I got the 140 kind of wishing I had gone bigger. Anyone with a lyman that would want to down size let me know. I got about the same amount of rides as you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miljack View Post
Only 4 sets on a new SS Lyman, but I'm really liking this board! I'm coming from a CWB Transcend, and I was riding that w/the "short" extensions, and have ridden some with the extensions off. W/or w/o the extensions, the Lyman is WAY faster, and edges like a razor! The pop is really good, and the landings have been really good. Overall the Lyman feels much more lively and responsive in the water, makes the Transcend feel a little slow. I like the lightweight of the Lyman also.
I will second what the HHammer said about catching an edge, it SUCKS! Better not be lazy with any backside board slides...

More info after additional sets, but so far very happy!

My setup;
Ronix One bindings
bolt on fins
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-06-2012, 8:33 PM Reply   
Demo'd the whip 143 last weekend for 2 short sets. Been riding 08 response past 2 season, since I started wakeboarding

no big surprise, the whip was stiffer than the old response, but still had that great SS flex feel. Best I could describe, the response had a mellow flex, the whip is snappy. Felt more stable on landings and edging. Still broke free easily. the pop felt more consistent imho.

One thing I noted, the sidewalls are way different than all the other SS decks. Other SS decks have a very thin edge ~1/8" thick, but the whip has a comparatively huge 1/2" thick slightly rounded sidewall. There were 2x I was coming down wrong, over rotated, and from experience last season on the response I thought 'great, here comes another hard edge catch and concussion slam to the back of the head' . I braced for impact, but to my surprise the whip was forgiving and broke free at the last second. I may have gone cartwheeling across the surface, but it's better than whiplash edge catch. maybe i've improved at crashing but I think the sidewalls played a part in not biting as hard.

First time with the fastback system. I tightened those knobs as tight as I could, and one was completely loose after 2 sets. If I buy, I'd definitely coat it in blue loctite.

all in all, the whip is way better than my response. I feel it does everything the response does (only better) and more. Feel much more in confident on it. going to demo the kine next weekend and decide between the 2.

Also tried on the KTV's and the Shredtowns. Shredtowns hands down more comfortable, due to the liner, but they were stiffer than I expected, in a good way. I expected a mushy soft park type binding, but not so. They fit true to shoe size.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-06-2012, 9:46 PM Reply   
great review^^ thanks^^
Old     (tke104)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-07-2012, 8:30 AM Reply   
I'm looking for some advice on bindings. I only ride boat. I decided to go with the KTVs because I heard some favorable reviews of them, and it seemed like people either loved or hated their RADs from previous years. I don't have a dealer near me so I ordered them online. I went one size down on some recommendations. (Side story: I ordered them from evo.com because they have a good return/exchange policy, should I need a different size. Their customer service has been great; they price matched, plus an additional 5% off, a site that was offering a combo deal with a slingshot board - I ordered a Hooke too.) Anyway, the first pair came and they fit pretty good except the right footbed near the toe was wrinkled and it pushed against my toe. It seemed like it was missing a little gel cushioning, or it wasn't dispersed properly. It didn't feel great and made the boot feel too small. I probably could have dealt with it, but for a $450 boot I felt they should be perfect. The left boot was flawless and felt perfect. Evo.com was happy to send me another pair as soon as I sent the originals back. The 2nd pair came in and were even worse. Both boots had this problem, though the left was much better than the right. It definitely feels like there is no gel cushion in the right toe. The footbed is all crunched up by the toe and it makes the boot feel significantly smaller. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm thinking of asking them to send me some RADs instead. What do you guys think? Can someone recommend either boot over the other and why? Thanks.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-07-2012, 9:54 AM Reply   
I ride 2012 rads, I absolutely recommend them. I can't compare them to the ktv but I can say they are great boots. Shredtowns are a big hit too, the Velcro setup looks super quick and easy. They are the same boot just the rad uses laces instead of Velcro.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-07-2012, 10:18 AM Reply   
the 2012 RAD are a big improvement. by first appearance it looks like only the colors changed, but the insides are a whole different filling/ feeling
liners are more durable, increased support and padding around the ankle for better hold. footbed is much noticeably softer. laces are more durable and glide easier.
never wore the KTV, but the materials i know are abit different, especialy since the liner is not removable in them, which is a first for slingshot (since 2011). as said above the shredtowns are almost like a RAD but with straps instead of laces. The cuff on the shredtowns is a little bit different design than the RAD too which should make it just a tad more flexible. flex/ support-wise: shredtowns are in the middle, between the RAD and KTV. If you still have your heart set on straps i would say try the shredtowns. they have the same great removable/ moldable liner as the RADs
Old     (tke104)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-07-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to go with the RADs. How do people with removable liners like them? Do you leave them in, or do you have to take them out every time you put/take your boot on/off?
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-07-2012, 11:32 AM Reply   
I leave my liners, being able to loosen both the liner and the boot seems to make them rather easy to get out of.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-07-2012, 1:24 PM Reply   
i leave my liners in and have removed the laces on the liners. i don't see a point of using the liner laces if i am not going to be using them to walk around in.
If you have any reservations about the liners coming out too easily, no worries, they are pretty tight... but not so tight that you will struggle to free them IF you are going to walk around in them at the cable or wherever. there is a slight experience factor to getting the liners in and out. The toes need to curl up so as to ramp the toe piece into place. if the boot is wet it will be easier to get the liners in and out as well. I find it a little easier to do it with your foot in the liner than by hand.
The only time i take the liners out is for drying when I am done if i don't have my little boot fans (made from computer fans). with that said, they do dry quickly, i just hate even mild gear stench. Getting my stuff dry is a high priority when i get home.

the removable liners makes heat molding a breeze... but i would ride them out of the box first before you decide to mold them. i think they are FLEXcellent out of the box
Old     (Dj2up10)      Join Date: Aug 2010       05-07-2012, 8:33 PM Reply   
I own the '11 rads and got-literally-6 sets in them before the liners heel went to mush. They are warrantying them, but have to say that i am hoping to get the new liners because of the major improvements done to them. The built in j bars for heel lock down, the structural improvements etc.

I was recently at owc and a few slingshot riders were there and couldn't say enough about how much SS had dialed in the new Rads. The SS guys (reeder and dylan) had on the ktv and the new rads. I, however, had rented the shred towns. The shred towns were overall a very good boot, not great though-a tad mushy and bulky. They locked down as much as I needed, but we're just a bit off...

An interesting comment I heard about the ktvs was that they preferred the ability to swim barefoot. Considering I have been riding for 15 years and just started riding cable, I can see why....yes, I was swimming quite a bit with the liners on

Sidenote-Dylan Miller and Brian Reeder were great guys. Dylan was shooting that alliance hockey piece there that day...pretty hilarious.

Last edited by Dj2up10; 05-07-2012 at 8:37 PM.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-29-2012, 10:05 AM Reply   
I got to ride (one set) my friends Response 142 with Shredtown boots this past weekend and my thoughts are "really slippery", kind of like riding a Roam. I think if I rode it more I may get used to it but wanted to know if SS makes a board with a little bit more locked in feel? I presently ride a CWB Transcend and when I edge I know I am edging, whereas with the response I felt like I there was just no surface area to the board and because of the flat bottom felt like I could just surface 180 and board slide all day long. Just wondering if there's something in their line I might want to check out?

The boots were cool. I took a hard fall on a w2w coming down on my side and my right foot with boot on ripped out. I was freaked out because I had hoped that I hadn't just broken my buddies bindings. Total flex is not necessary for me, some flex is good enough.

Anything I should look at? Really want a new setup and my two friends really like their SS boards.
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       05-29-2012, 10:19 AM Reply   
@justin, really i would suggest sticking with the response because in the long run you will be a better rider. with the response/recoil/reflex, by not having base features, you have to learn to use your edges to turn instead of relying on the base features (molded in fins, channels) that you prob had on the cwb. just another crutch. if not look at the ballistic series (newton, kine, hooke) or the whip, they all have some base features more specifically the newton because it has a continuous rocker line like the response and would ride quite similar, but with more grip
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-29-2012, 11:00 AM Reply   
Justin,

you can also add the Slingshot Lyman to the already recommended list of boards from the ballistic series, it has the most in bottom features and would have a lot of grip compared to the other SS boards. it also has a subtle threestage rocker which would be a similar rocker to the transcend.

Try riding your friends board a little more to see what you think. boards made like slingshot ("flex boards") are really a whole new thing and can sometimes take a couple of sets to fully feel it out. "crutch" might not be the best choice of word to describe bottom features, but i cant think of a better one right now. It is actually quite amazing how much your edging can improve on these boards, especially without fins. It forces you to rely on the edge of the board. Surf around a lot and do some fast and hard cuts out into the flats as far as you can go... then go back to riding with fins and/or to a board with bottom features and you will be amazed at the difference. the minute feelings that were not there before because you allowed the fins and bottom features to do some of the work.

I used to be a locked-in style rider and liked a lot of tracking, but now i actually love a super loose board. buttering around on the water can actually be super fun. watch this guy to see what i mean.

Anyway, in short. it sounds like you have some boards at your disposal to test and try all you want. wait till you are more certain what you want to get your own set-up.

Last edited by wakerider111; 05-29-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       05-30-2012, 8:11 AM Reply   
Wow.. that video is pretty cool. 1:53 and one W2W jump, that dude was fun to watch. i think I will take my fins off my 2012 Hooke and ride it behind the boat this weekend!
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-30-2012, 4:44 PM Reply   
well I just ordered a 2012 Response and Shredtowns, why not!
Old     (braap)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-30-2012, 5:15 PM Reply   
how do the rad bindings get sized, are they the same as ur shoe size or a size smaller?
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-30-2012, 5:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmy79 View Post
well I just ordered a 2012 Response and Shredtowns, why not!
Awesome, congrats! I might have to pick up a response/shredtown setup, so sexy.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-30-2012, 5:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by braap View Post
how do the rad bindings get sized, are they the same as ur shoe size or a size smaller?
2012 rad boots fit true to your shoe size
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       05-31-2012, 5:51 AM Reply   
I am a size 9.5 shoe and have wear size 9 in Slingshot bindings. The RAD was the tightest and most difficult to get into but was comfortable once on, the KTV and Shredtown both fit perfectly. I picked the KTV for 2012. Slingshot has fantastic customer service. I have been exremely impressed with the company. Had a minor issue with the KTV's... I e-mailed them a pic and they responded within hours saying a new pair was on the way. Hard to beat that!
Old     (tke104)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-31-2012, 10:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by braap View Post
Slingshot told me that they fit like a pair of Nikes. I wear a size 9 - 9.5 in most shoes (Nikes included), but I went with an 8 because I wanted them to fit tight so that I didn't have to crank them down. They feel really good when I put them on, but my feet hurt after riding for about 10 min. Hopefully they will pack out a little bit. I haven't heat molded them, but I plan to. If I were to do it again though, I probably would have bought a 9.
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       06-01-2012, 8:43 AM Reply   
zucky was sick in the 90's..... the doubleup experience...... to this day a super good wake movie.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-07-2012, 7:40 AM Reply   
Just got my new setup and am looking forward to riding it this weekend.

SS Response 142 with Shredtown boots sz 9

Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       06-07-2012, 9:11 AM Reply   
Very nice! How tall are you? Don't be afraid to widen your stance! I'm 6' tall and I ride a Lyman 144 with my fast track almost the way out, about 1cm in on each side.
Old     (panda)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-07-2012, 10:27 AM Reply   
Actually I believe most people should use the widest possible stance.. for me it only makes everything more safe
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-07-2012, 12:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan View Post
Very nice! How tall are you? Don't be afraid to widen your stance! I'm 6' tall and I ride a Lyman 144 with my fast track almost the way out, about 1cm in on each side.
I'm 5'11" and that is exactly what my friend said, the wider the better. The pics show the stance just so I could take pics, that won't be my riding stance. But it's good to hear the same thing my friend said.
Old     (khall)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-13-2012, 11:43 AM Reply   
Ok, just seriously got hooked on wakeboarding last summer and have been using a cheapie Kwik Tek board and bindings. Was going to upgrade for this summer and actually just won a Slingshot Hooke board and Rad boots setup. Sweet!
Question is, what can I expect going from my board to a top of the line board as I have never rode anything else? Thanks
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-13-2012, 1:19 PM Reply   
I doubt you will like it. I'd be willing to pay for the shipping to take it off your hands. Send me a PM with your contact info.
Old     (bschall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-13-2012, 1:23 PM Reply   
lol^
Old     (khall)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-13-2012, 1:36 PM Reply   
Oh I am sure I will like it, just curious how different the ride would be. thanks for the offer though lol
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-13-2012, 5:46 PM Reply   
Whoa you went from riding some board I have never heard of to "winning a whole SS setup"? Dayyuum you are lucky.

Read through the first couple pages of this thread to get your ride info on the hooke. Congrats and enjoy, night and day difference.