Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-25-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
Watch this video next time you think about or hear someone complaining about wake size, old equipment or no tower. This will bring some inspiration.
Here it is, from the wakeboard report website
http://www.wakeboardreport.com/archives/2008/02/exclusive_footage_of_a_young_s.html
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-25-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
Well, if I wasn't being restricted by a floating device, then I could ride like that too!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-25-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
By the way, a switch mobe on a directional board is insane!!
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-25-2008, 3:04 PM Reply   
Daang! And it still looks completely effortless...
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-25-2008, 3:05 PM Reply   
Damn!

You guys found it.

And I hope you all enjoy it.

Pretty amazing that this young Scott Byerly was doing what you see in my video on a directional Wake Tech with hybrid/prototype sandal plates (hybrid/prototype in the sense that they were a little bit more substantial that what was seen on the early Hyperlite sandal plates with the purple ankle strap and breakable mounts), a barefoot boat, and four goons on board (me among them behind the lens, and mostly telling people to move and balance the boat or saying holy s*** at tricks like toeside krypts and switch mobes. The rest of the talking isn't me). Note the lack of ballast. Note the lack of an extended pylon - and still just blowing everyones mind anyway.

Get a beer and enjoy it. 24 minutes long. I am looking into better ways to get the video to you, whether that is through SendSpace or some other large file storage service. The original AVI is quite a bit better looking. But what I embedded there on The Wakeboard Report is at the very least passable.

Thanks, please enjoy.
Erik

(Message edited by juniorhawk on February 25, 2008)
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-25-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
FREAKING AWESOME! Great video!
Old     (hyperliteguy_04)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-25-2008, 3:17 PM Reply   
Guess i cant complain anymore eh? lol thats bad@ss though!
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-25-2008, 3:27 PM Reply   
Just like every other Byerly video, he makes it look effortless. He makes the sport look so good.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-25-2008, 3:27 PM Reply   
that is sic for sure. awesome. Erik did you think, at the time, you were watching history?
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-25-2008, 3:32 PM Reply   
Honestly, I kind of did.

I should have put this out sooner.

I am really glad you folks are enjoying it and I sincerely mean that.

Thanks,
Erik
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-25-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
thats the kinds of wake i love. thats dope
Old     (1boarder_kevin)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-25-2008, 3:51 PM Reply   
Wow. Unfortunatly I am old enough to remember those days. It looks alot like trick skiing, doesn't it. I am impressed how Byerly (and the sport) have progressed. Then again, Byerly is one of the few who shaped the sport into what it is today and I admire him for that.

I remember how cool it was when the wake tech 69 came out and it could ride either way. That was a incredible to me at the time

(Message edited by 1boarder_kevin on February 25, 2008)
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-25-2008, 4:10 PM Reply   
yea we are not pros and all those pros that rode back then learned the tricks on those wakes and boats and are BTW "pros"..

"Big Wakes are Not a Crime" carry on...
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-25-2008, 4:16 PM Reply   
just goes to show why he is the man!!! did anyone notice the lack of a no-strech rope as well?
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-25-2008, 4:28 PM Reply   
That's awesome.

I have a video that we took from about '95 or '96 that looks quite similar to that -- but of Darin Shapiro riding behind a MB Boss 190 at Radar Lake. I'd love to share, but it's on VHS and I'm not tech-savvy enough to get it online. I learned to dial my 360's from Darin and Chet Raley while they were warming up for the competition the next day.

Darin was riding the first Shapiro pro model, which was directional, but it had a nose fin (which I had never seen before). I remember the nose-fin directional Shapiro board came out the next year. Darin still wore sandals and bungees, even though the rest of the pros were starting to use twin-tips and high-wraps (the Flight 69 was HUGE, I believe Gator won the comp on the Flight 69). Ballast was one 5-gal bucket of sand that we moved left to right to keep the boat centered. I had an early blem honeycomb Hyperlite BAFF (there were a lot of blems!!) & Hyperlite high wraps. I was about 15 years old.

He was in town for a competition the next day at Lake Ballinger in the Edmonds area -- where I got to hang out at the dock and congratulate Darin after his run.

Something I will never forget...!

(Message edited by phenom_1819 on February 25, 2008)
Old     (zink)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-25-2008, 4:30 PM Reply   
when did scott start riding, and where and how did he get started? I wish i had started riding in 94 thats awsome.so that makes him about 35
Old     (zink)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-25-2008, 4:35 PM Reply   
this will be my 5th year riding.last year was the 1st year i rode behind a extended pylon we have a 93 seaswirl with a tow hook, and i think that helps you learn how to edge correctly because u have to have more speed to to get more air without a big wake or tower
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-25-2008, 4:45 PM Reply   
That was a non stretch rope. That was the day I learned about non stretch ropes as they apply to wakeboarding as a matter of fact. I knew of their benefits for barefooting but had no knowledge of using them for wake. He brought it. There MAY be a 5 ft standard line extension but he brought his own fancy rope and handle.

That was also the day I learned how important that being technically proficient riding switch was (the switch mobes just blew my mind and had such a lasting effect on me - I had no concept of that even being possible). After that we would have sessions where you would be ridiculed if you rode regular stance for anything more than 5 seconds during your run.

Fun driving down memory lane like this.

Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-25-2008, 4:45 PM Reply   
i'd agree ryan...i learned to go w2w behind a 190 sea-ray and a rainbow ski rope...hahah...i thought it would be fun one day, after i'd been riding for a while, to ride behind the old sea-ray again. i could still throw all my maneuvers but it was a TON of work...hahaha
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-25-2008, 4:54 PM Reply   
That was rad, thanks for sharing Eric.
Old     (harris)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-25-2008, 4:59 PM Reply   
i will never complain about wake size again after watching that.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-25-2008, 5:03 PM Reply   
Ok ok - while we're bragging about old school stuff then, I learned everything, from 3's to 5's to backrolls on an unweighted Ski Nautique 2001 (of course) with a stretchy rope, from the low pylon with sandal plates. But THE DAY I got high wraps I rode away from my first backroll. I had ridden away from rolls without the handle several times with sandal plates but THE DAY my high wraps arrived I rode away from it with the handle. It was maybe a month or two after this video was filmed, using what I learned at the clinic.

What did you guys do about the little plastic connectors that attach the bungee to the mounting plate on those Hyperlite sandal plates? We'd break these constantly and finally modified our sandal plates with battery terminals to replace those little plastic nubbies. I mean we would just go through 4 or 5 of those in a set if we were working rolls and were close. Bought them in bulk.}
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-25-2008, 5:11 PM Reply   
That's sick. Very impressive riding. Nice one Erik.

I think I finally fully understand load and release after watching those rolls in the flats.

(Message edited by Jtnz on February 25, 2008)
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-25-2008, 5:17 PM Reply   
....I think its pretty obvious the boards must have been better back then .....nice!
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-25-2008, 5:23 PM Reply   
Crazy!!! I didn't watch the whole thing but did they even know what a double up was back then. I would have loved to see him hit one off that boat and get more air time than some do these days.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-25-2008, 5:31 PM Reply   
We had no idea of double ups and even after that one he did in the video we still didn't. It just didn't dawn on us and even after seeing him boost that one in the video we were too stupid to even ask him about it. We were just like "Whoaaaaaaaaaaa. Duuuuuh."

This makes me think I need to transfer some of my other footage. Like us 19 yr old highly influencable goobers watching Gravity Sucks and then going out riding in jeans, hats and no jacket trying to be Greg Nelson hopping crappy little 180's over my Dad's dock and thinking we were superstars. Us = morons.
Old     (zink)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-25-2008, 5:31 PM Reply   
the gravity sucks video has some good old school riding ( Byerly and others)
Old     (garrett_cortese)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-25-2008, 5:32 PM Reply   
Wow, that just made my week. Thanks Erik for hooking it up.

By the way, did I hear a, "The Hook! Here he comes!" I think I did, and it cracked me up.

Also, I think I saw an attempt at a switch ole/rodeo 5 (basically trying a half cab roll on a different axis), which is totally badass for '94.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-25-2008, 5:34 PM Reply   
Yes Garrett. I know the one you're talking about and I think he fell on it. Right? That one? To me it was just a well-loaded/boosted half-cab roll with a grab but I can see how it may have been an ole/rodeo as you said.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-25-2008, 5:48 PM Reply   
Rides like this blow my mind. I learned backroll, frontflip and raley behind a sea ray no no tower or weight and still can't do much more then that just much higher
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-25-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
Caution: wakeboarding without a life vest may result in death;)

Very Very cool by the way. Byerly is one of my most favorite riders. thanx for posting
Old     (wakeboardlf25)      Join Date: May 2007       02-25-2008, 6:20 PM Reply   
well now i feel dumb complaining about the old boat i rode behind before we got a wake boat
Old     (dnannen)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-25-2008, 7:16 PM Reply   
That actually makes me want to quit riding. lol. No never but very degrading.
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-25-2008, 7:38 PM Reply   
WTF!!!!!!! how the.......what the.......he....oh dam, I wish my boat was ready to go. I wanna ride after seeing that! Thanks for the video post Brinks, and the amazing footage Erik.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-25-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
Wow.....that was super cool. Thanks for sharing Erik.

P.S. Sweet eye wear....
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-25-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
This video should be inspiration for someone to put together a no-frills contest for any willing pros - no ballast (not even factory) no perfect pass, and you must use a basic $30 rope/handle. Not even a wake boat, make it an I/O or outboard like this video.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-25-2008, 8:27 PM Reply   
I don't care, i still want my big wake...because maybe Byerly doesn't, but i NEED it
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-25-2008, 8:44 PM Reply   
E.J. It was 1994 and I was filming. The eyewear wearer is not me! I'm not seen in the video, just heard. That's the great thing about being behind the lens. As you know.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-25-2008, 8:51 PM Reply   
hey erik, you got any video of pros riding behind old 2001s? i think i read somewhere that scott landed the very first 720 behind one, maybe you would know?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-25-2008, 8:57 PM Reply   
I can't believe that WOW!.....I also can't believ how the wake looks too. Barely any wash. AMAZING CHIT MAN!
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       02-25-2008, 9:04 PM Reply   
awesome video! he doesnt even need a wake like at 6:38 hes insane!
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-25-2008, 9:39 PM Reply   
Kevin Hoye (wakebrdr38) I have this video.

I know the part you're referring to. It is in Skurfs Up, right? Boat is traveling right to left, and Byerly lands the 7 cleanly and pumps his fist. Its right at the end of the video. I have it.

I also have video of Brian Grubb riding a regular wakeboard from an old, old Hyperlite team video. Riding extremely well I might add. Photog phenom Meddock is in this same video riding well too.

I know exactly where these videos are. Good thing I didn't put the vcr and those tapes away. I'll get on this extended project barring any copyright infringement... which may actually be an issue. We shall see...

Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-25-2008, 9:40 PM Reply   
showed the whole family this. Its given me a lot of motivation for this season: don't suck.
Old     (greers_ferry_boats)      Join Date: Dec 2007       02-26-2008, 7:25 AM Reply   
Amazing! That heel side front was huge!
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-26-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
thanks man, i actually havent ever seen video of scott riding behind a 2001, but i wanna say i read it on the the2001.com or another post on here. i look forward to seeing it, maybe you could post a link on the2001.com also?
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-26-2008, 7:43 AM Reply   
That was some damn impressive riding for that era.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-26-2008, 7:53 AM Reply   
I'll be getting that video up next.

Actually this is kicking off a big conversion project for me. I'll be VHS digitizing my FACE OFF this weekend.

And researching better delivery methods.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-26-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
thanks for sharing this. :-)
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-26-2008, 12:34 PM Reply   
Man I used to have Skurfs Up. I think the 7 was landed in the ocean in Hawaii. I totally remember that clip. He was riding the blue Byerly, but if memory serves it was just the graphic on the old Flight 69 Byerly shape at that point. I don't believe he had the new Butch designed board yet. I'm pretty sure we can watch Clean Dean do a Slurpee like 4 times in that one as well. Hallelujah!
Old    murrayair            02-26-2008, 2:07 PM Reply   
Insane. It makes me feel like an idiot when I complain about my wake and equipment.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-26-2008, 2:12 PM Reply   
Impressive, but let's face it, the tricks are bigger and slower with a giant wake. So the answer to the original question is YES I do!
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-26-2008, 5:21 PM Reply   
wow. that was a pretty cool vid! i like how the guys are like holy s*$%
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-26-2008, 10:16 PM Reply   
"Anything you want to see?"

thats some serious riding. consider the equipment, and its incredible.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       02-26-2008, 10:34 PM Reply   
Decisions... decisions...

I wish this stuff wasn't copyright limited. I'd never distribute these but I am glad I have a way to digitize this stuff so that I can put them on my iPod and ultraportable laptop for traveling. I will play by the rules for sure, but there are a few clips, like that 720, which need to be made available. Hoping to get something up soon.
Upload
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       02-28-2008, 5:38 AM Reply   
Erik & Kevin,
I use to own that Nautique 2001 that Byerly stuck the 720 in Skurf's up. I bought it off my brother's former business partner Lance Brug and they use to use it as their tow boat for RNR Surf & Ski on Oahu (before the got a 97 Pro Air). They also used it in some of the early Hawaii Wakeboard Pro Am tournaments. You could also see them riding behind it in video'

My brother showed me the exact same home video footage from that 720, but shot from the boat (in Skurf's Up, it's shown from the shore). Scott was so pumped and I don't think I've heard someone scream so loud after landing a trick! He spent the next 2 passes up & down the course just shaking his head in amazement with his hand in the air.

I also have some home footage on VHS of Byerly from 95, free riding on the flight 69 at Eric Perez's house. Frickin amazing to watch.

It's fun to watch old video's like that, thinking sandal bindings, directional boards, semi stretchy poly-E ropes, no ballast besides bodies, no extended pylon's or towers. But remember, that's all we had back then so we didn't really have a choice. You were forced to learn on what the industry produced back then. Come to think of it, if your rope was longer then 60-65 feet, people thought you were crazy for riding such a long rope!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Great video Erik!
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-28-2008, 7:06 AM Reply   
That video brings back so many memories from the good old days! Byerly is the man.

Here is a short 2 min. video from back in 1992. Riding the original HO compression molded wake board:

http://www.wakefirst.com/video/video/show?id=670217:Video:3302

I know it's not Byerly Class riding but it was still fun.

Man how things have changed!

Thanks for posting Erik

(Message edited by jjakober on February 28, 2008)
Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-28-2008, 7:53 AM Reply   
Amazing! Kinda answers my question as if it were more of the rider or the boat that made a good wakeboarder.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       03-02-2008, 7:59 AM Reply   
Posted at The2001.com as requested - in addition to The Wakeboard Report.

Scott Byerly's 720 From Skurf's Up
http://www.wakeboardreport.com/archives/2008/03/scott_byerlys_720_from_skurfs.html
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-02-2008, 8:26 AM Reply   
Erik,
Great addition, I can remember back in the day when the Wake Tech crew would come and hang out for the week in Kalamazoo. Bam has nothing on these guys fireworks and beer thats all I am going to say before it incriminates anyone.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       03-02-2008, 8:33 AM Reply   
That's cool Itch. Thanks for your support as always.
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-02-2008, 8:43 AM Reply   
I am going to get all my videos out an take a picture. Erik do you have the shop promo of Pennywise? Thats my first video EVER.
ITCH
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-02-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
I am going to get all my videos out an take a picture. Erik do you have the shop promo of Pennywise? Thats my first video EVER.
ITCH
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       03-02-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
Itch - no I don't. Sorry.

(Message edited by juniorhawk on March 02, 2008)
Old     (cpizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-02-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
Was that 720 filmed at Kaneohe Bay???
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       03-02-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
Chris I bet Ryan Shimabukuro knows.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       03-02-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
Chris, yes it was. Right off the pier (where RNR was located) heading toward H1 and the south gate to KMCBH.
Old     (cpizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-02-2008, 4:55 PM Reply   
Yeah, that's right in or near the ski area by the base marina. Nice little place to ride. Too bad RNR isn't there anymore or anything like it. I've been away from Kaneohe for a couple years. Has the wakeboarding scene come back at all??
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       03-02-2008, 8:07 PM Reply   
Chris, there's still a strong group of locals that ride but it's mainly out at Keehi Lagoon. Most are members of one of the ski clubs (including myself-OWSC). Some still ride out in K-Bay and the only place to pay for rides is Hawaii Sports at Koko Marina but they can't add ballast and the water is usually really rough from all the traffic.

The Oahu Waterski Club (OWSC) just built a nice rainbow slider and most of the boarders are trying to get a local tournament series going again, since it's been about 4-5 years since the last one.
Old     (cpizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-02-2008, 9:11 PM Reply   
Thanks for the update. Nice to see you and the others out there are pushing to promote the sport and the scene as a whole.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       03-02-2008, 9:14 PM Reply   
Yeah, I've been living on the mainland now for nearly 20 years and only go back home once a year in the spring time. I try to spend as much time at Keehi Lagoon as I can, definitely one of the best spots on the planet to ride.

Do you have any plans to head back there at all?

Sorry for the hijack!
Old     (younguns44)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-23-2010, 4:37 PM Reply   
Awesome
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-08-2011, 4:25 PM Reply   
The google video link on the original article doesn't work anymore. Anyone know if this was ever posted anywhere else? Love to see it!