Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (dmorrison22)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-25-2010, 6:30 PM Reply   
I know they have 4,000 lbs of ballast, so it's got the size.

I'm curious about the shape. I have heard from a friend that there can be a bit of white wash and it's not that clean.

However, it has speed control, and tons of weight, so rope length and speed could clean up the wake right?

Anyone who has ridden behind an Epic have any thoughts?
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-25-2010, 7:06 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-25-2010, 7:21 PM Reply   
EPIC wake is CERTIFIED CLEAN
Upload
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-25-2010, 7:28 PM Reply   
I remember reading the guys from VA tech or wherever it was that got one for their WB club said they had trouble keeping one side clean, they may have figured out how to properly weight it in the mean time, maybe one of them will comment
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-25-2010, 7:51 PM Reply   
(Old Super Air) x (2) + always clean

its awesome.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-25-2010, 8:06 PM Reply   
the wake is definitely big, and most definitely really steep. it's also really sensititve.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-25-2010, 8:16 PM Reply   
its like a little piece of heaven flowing behind a boat, i have never ridden it but it seemed applicable to say that, just off assumtions
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-25-2010, 8:25 PM Reply   
The one I rode we had front tank full + 400 pounds of lead in the chain locker, back tanks only filled to 1/4 onside 1/3 the other and ride @ 24.5mpg to keep the wake clean. I was riding 75ft rope and it was pretty narrow and super bootie. Nice and big, hard and steep. The guys who boat we were riding had just got it so with a bit of experience I'm sure he could get it sorted out. I prefer a more progressive wake but it was lots of fun. Surf wake was pretty naff, the shortest wall of water I have ever seen.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-25-2010, 8:46 PM Reply   
The Epic wake is HUGE, tons of vertical pop and easy to clear. We got rave reviews from some other colleges that rode it on a trip to Georgia. Try it for yourself, people can tell you how awesome a wake is all day, but you should experience it and see for yourself
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-25-2010, 9:22 PM Reply   
I don't understand why there are not more companies putting larger ballasts in. everybody ends up adding aftermarket ballast anyway.

what's the next highest factory ballast of a boat anyway. isn't it around 2,000 for about the same size boat?
Old     (dmorrison22)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-25-2010, 9:40 PM Reply   
That photo is legit. Super clean and crisp.

Sounds like you have to ride between 24 and 26 Mph to keep the wake clean.

I have also heard that the wake is sensitive and narrow. Fred what speed are you going in that wake pic? It looks pretty legit.

I have to ride behind one...looks too tempting...why is it winter???Ahhhh!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-25-2010, 9:56 PM Reply   
Jeremy, in reality the mojority of people probably don't add extra weight as most people buy wakeboarding boats as family/party boats.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-25-2010, 10:50 PM Reply   
I once heard it described as a Malibu wake with a Super Air wake stacked on top of that.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-25-2010, 10:53 PM Reply   
The one we rode was a old super air wake with an old super air wake stacked on top of it.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       01-25-2010, 11:09 PM Reply   
It's wake is unreal when it's balanced out properly. Like, absolutely insane. If you have the trim all of the way in one direction, it can wind up pretty much just a brick wall that you slam into. It takes a little bit to adjust to because of how peaky it is, and a few other riders and I all kept sticking the nose of the board through the wake when we'd charge until we modified how we cut in at it. But if you hit it right, it will boot you ridiculously high into the air, no effort required. The only thing is that because of the narrower profile of the boat (so that it digs deeper and makes a bigger wake), if you don't have the weight balanced out it can cause some strangeness on the toeside wake (regular riders). But just moving one person to a different side of the boat could pretty much always clear that up.

The trim tab on the Epic can change the wake's styling fairly drastically as well. I found a few settings with it that I personally loved because they were more mellow and transitiony than the straight up and down SAN 210 on steroids wake you frequently get as a description of the Epic's wake. It's a pretty versatile boat.
Old     (bizz)      Join Date: Jun 2008       01-25-2010, 11:13 PM Reply   
In the Epic I had I always added an extra 550 bag in the walk way and it mellowed the wake out a good amount then had the trim tab at 75% I believe. Could have been 25%. Never had any complaints about the wake. When you add the extra bag to the nose then it becomes a Malibu wake with the lip of an old 210 Super Air. Hope that helps.
Old    wakejjboard12            01-26-2010, 5:45 AM Reply   
"The trim tab on the Epic can change the wake's styling fairly drastically as well. I found a few settings with it that I personally loved because they were more mellow and transitiony than the straight up and down SAN 210 on steroids wake you frequently get as a description of the Epic's wake. It's a pretty versatile boat."

Couldn't agree more. Old CC one min, trim= BU or MC the next.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-26-2010, 7:18 AM Reply   
The closest comparison would be a loaded down old SANTE. It's drastically different than a BU or MC. Once it's dialed, it takes very little effort to launch. Behind a MC, ya gotta go balls out every time. Behind an Epic, your approach has to be much more mellow or else you'll stick the nose of the board.

The wake is narrower than most but the landing zones and even the flats are a soft landing. The narrow wake isn't necessarily a negative because of how much you go up rather than out.

To create a steep wake, like the Epic, you get a tradeoff of having a sensitive wake. It will wash out on the port side (prop torque), but there are a few tricks to solve that:

- This boat likes a lot of weight in the bow. Fill the front tank full.
- Port side tank about 1/2 full and starboard tank about 3/4 full.
- Trim tab about 1/2 up.

The biggest factor of dialing the wake is speed. Most have a difficult time with this. I did at first. Here's why: Say you have a VLX and you fill the full 1,200# ballast and ride at 23mph. Now you want to go huge, so you add four 750# fat sacs, two in the rear lockers, one in the walk through and one in the bow. Now take that up to 23mph and see what your wake looks like. I can guarantee that it'll be washed out big time and you'll have to pick up the speed to probably 25-27mph to clean it up.

With the hidden ballast and the massive motor of the Epic, it's hard to realize just how much ballast you've got. Even with full ballast, the boat launches out of the water. So, once you pick up that speed, the wake cleans up nicely.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-26-2010, 7:49 AM Reply   
The way you all describe the wake sounds like the rampy wake on a Supra 21v...which I love. Sounds pretty awesome.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-26-2010, 9:18 AM Reply   
ask Rathy
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-26-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
Nintzel
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       01-26-2010, 11:39 AM Reply   
We love the Epic Wake.
Best Wake in the biz!!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-26-2010, 12:04 PM Reply   
Your Nautique rep must not be on these boards Jeff! I thought the 230 was the best?
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       01-26-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
The 230 was my favorite, until I rode behind a 23V.

I liked the Epic so much, I made the decision to be an Epic only dealer, we no longer sell Nautique.

Nautique builds a really nice boat, no doubt about it, but the Epic is just unreal, great boat.

We will be seeing some new boats from Epic this year and I am stoked to be a part of the Epic Team of dealers.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-26-2010, 12:41 PM Reply   
Very cool...didn't know that. Are you guys going to have a boat lake at WSR or does the cable lake double as a boat lake?
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       01-26-2010, 12:54 PM Reply   
Eubanks we can put a boat on the Cable Lake, but we have TinTop and Granbury within 15 miles of WakeSport Ranch, so we will be riding the Epic's at Tip Top and Granbury.

No need for a boat lake when TinTop is so close.
Old     (v220ls)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-26-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
I would probably take Joe's input the most, since he worked for them for a spell?

Looks pretty steep from Fred's pictures! I saw one pretty close up but never rode behind it?
I would like to know what speed that is also? Fred....
Old     (fredlap)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-26-2010, 1:21 PM Reply   
David! This is not my boat and I never rode behind a 23V so I don't what was the speed... it's a picture I took on another Epic thread! I saved it on my computer because it's my dream wake behind my dream boat!!!
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-26-2010, 1:51 PM Reply   
Im pretty sure that pic was taken in my back yard on Ray Hubbard in TX. That sunset and backdrop is all too familiar

Well on second glance...maybe not (sure looks to be though) but there was an epic thread at one time on here where the pics were right below my house and it was the same time of evening.

(Message edited by wakebrdr38 on January 26, 2010)
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-26-2010, 3:39 PM Reply   
@ tuneman, how can the flats be any different than any other boat? Isn't the lake just the lake I'm way cornfused on how a boat can effect your landing out there? Landing from 15' up on water that hasn't been touched by the boat path all seems the same to me. Not bashing Epic's or your post, I just don't get that. My bro Brian bought your Epic I'm stoked to ride that thing this spring!!!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-26-2010, 8:07 PM Reply   

quote:

By Jeremy Byrom (wakerider111) on Monday, January 25, 2010 - 9:22 pm:
I don't understand why there are not more companies putting larger ballasts in. everybody ends up adding aftermarket ballast anyway.

what's the next highest factory ballast of a boat anyway. isn't it around 2,000 for about the same size boat?

in my head i was thinking "everybody," meaning every impassioned wakeboarder

to re-do my earlier question:

why aren't more companies offering larger additional ballasts as an optional package for those buyers who are focused on wakeboarding (vs the average powerturning family)? so that even the sponsored riders don't have to double it later...or more

(Message edited by wakerider111 on January 26, 2010)
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-27-2010, 8:50 AM Reply   
Epic has engineered a nice boat and I like the amenities.

If they ever decide to alter the cosmetic appearance, I would look more seriously at the boat. The appearance of the boat does not excite me.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       01-28-2010, 2:30 PM Reply   
I know Epic has been working on the wake shape a bit. I've ridden behind Weatherall's test boat and the wake is insane. They have made a few adjustments and it's not so steep anymore. Don't know if their putting it into production but if you're ever near Carlsbad Lagoon you should check out Jeff's boat.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-28-2010, 3:24 PM Reply   
Jason, valid point. Take a look at that pic above. The 23v doesn't have reverse chines above the water line, as many boats do. That, mixed with their bow design, causes spray out further into the flats. This spray breaks up surface tension and makes your landings softer.

I don't think Chris actually thought about that when he designed the hull. It just turned out that way.

I have a buddy with an old school Nautique 2001 and it's loaded to the point of almost sinking. That wake and the Epic's are nearly identical, except the landings behind the 2001 are brutal.
Old     (snowslider76)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-29-2010, 7:25 AM Reply   
Ya that makes sense and now that I look at the pic the spray is def out there. Kinda the same thing they have in those practice diving pools that float air bubbles up. Pretty dope it worked out by accident.
Old     (supratrb)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-18-2011, 8:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredlap View Post
Upload
What speed is this??