Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (kalcotter)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-19-2006, 6:04 AM Reply   
This seems like a weird problem to have, but my speedometer is leaking water. I have a Malibu, and it actually has 2 speedometer gauges, and only one leaks, but it literally fills up, then leaks out a crack in the cover. I’m thinking I obviously need a new speedometer…

My question is, do you think I’ll have to replace the lines and everything… or just the gauge? I’m not sure what comes with a new speedometer. I also need a new temp gauge… any suggestions where to purchase these gauges?

Thanks,
Kal
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-19-2006, 10:45 AM Reply   
Well, if you actually need the speedo then definately need a new gauge. If you don't already have a Perfect Pass then I would just toss that speedo and install a Perfact Pass in its spot. If you have a Perfect Pass, then what the heck do you need two speedos for?

I would expect that a new speedometer would come as a kit, but I wouldn't bother changing the lines and pitot tube.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-19-2006, 7:42 PM Reply   
Probably an AirGuide speedo. Just replace the speedo. About 75 bucks last time I bought one.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-19-2006, 8:40 PM Reply   
There should be a balance tube near the rear of the boat, typically behind the gas tank or under the gunnel. It's job is to convert water pressure to air pressure, it's shot. Replace the balance tube before you replace the speedo. You might as well replace both.

They are about 3/4" in diameter about a foot long, looks like a brass tube.

(Message edited by mikeski on July 19, 2006)
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-20-2006, 10:36 AM Reply   
Mike:

I don't think that the balance tube has any sort of bladder that would prevent water from flowing through the tube. If there is a leak on the gauge side of the tube, be it in the tubing or the gauge itself, the entire tube and line will fill with water.

No matter what is happening with the balance tube the face of the gauge should never fill with water!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-20-2006, 6:07 PM Reply   
"No matter what is happening with the balance tube the face of the gauge should never fill with water!"
Absolutely correct.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-21-2006, 1:04 AM Reply   
Hmmm,

Now you have me thinking... I have pulled the lines off several speedo's and not seen any water out of the hoses. I don't know of any other component in the system that could prevent water from reaching the dash. The early 70's tournament boats did not have the balance tubes water in the speedo's was much more common back then.

In any case as Rod and Sparky said, something is messed up, you should never have water in the speedo.