Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (atvr)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-30-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   
Just put the boat in for the first time last weekend and am having some pretty serious vibrtation problems. Shakes pretty good when under load but not at cruising speed. The prop looks good. What do you guys think? Start by putting on a new prop then move on to replacing the drive shaft or what?
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-30-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
have someone look at the prop before replacing it. It maybe the problem, may not. Props are also repairable. Again with the drive shaft, have someone look at it, most of the time they can adjust it. You are looking in the right area, it's usaully where vibration comes from.
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-30-2006, 2:34 PM Reply   
In my 3rd year of an '02 X-Star, I started feeling a vibration.

Turned out to be the grease in the rudder was mostly gone. So at high speed, the rudder was fluttering (rhymes, eh?).

I got a grease gun, pumped a 1/4 tube until it was filled back up. Vibration went away.

I was also told to make sure there is no vertical play in the rudder shaft. If so, adjust the nut a turn or too. Not too much of course, or you won't be able to steer.

Dave

(Message edited by awf_axis on May 30, 2006)
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-30-2006, 2:51 PM Reply   
if your prop shaft is bent, it should be able to be seen while on the trailer and the trans in gear -- a very quick check...
Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       05-30-2006, 4:11 PM Reply   
viberating boat...i say you just roll with it...it will keep the ladies coming back!!!!
Old     (atvr)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-01-2006, 12:23 PM Reply   
The boat is on a lift on the lake. I am going back down this weekend. Good info on checking some easy things.

Joshua, can you elaborate on the procedure that you breifly described? I was thinking of bringing a dial indicator, setting it up near the end of the shaft and just turning it by rotating the prop by hand.

This is on an 03' Supra Sunsport (read Launch without all the graphics). What should the allowable runout be?