Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-16-2007, 7:37 PM Reply   
not sure if my bilge pump is working properly. haven't used my bilge pump this year because i always pull my boat out of the water. going on a trip later this week where the boat will sit in the water for a couple of days. anyway, when i flip the bilge pump switch the accessory light comes on but the pump doesn't make any noise. i'm wondering if it will only come on when water is in the bilge or what? is the pump bad?
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-16-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
if your pump has an "auto" setting the pump will only run when water hits a certain level in the bilge. if on manual, the pump should come on without water in bilge
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-16-2007, 7:59 PM Reply   
yeah, i think it is just manual because it just has an off and on setting. it is a 2000 moomba mobius v which i've only owned for a year now. if it doesn't do anything at all i'm guessing the pump is just shot.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-16-2007, 8:23 PM Reply   
Check fuse first, if pump is left on dry, you may have just blown fuse...
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-16-2007, 8:26 PM Reply   
Did you winterize your bilge when you put the boat to bed for the winter? You need to make sure you drain the pump or it will freeze and crack over the winter. This happened on my first boat when I lived in Colorado. Just verify what bilge pump you have and then buy the same pump at West Marine, etc. and replace it with the new pump. Very simple and easy install and you likely will not forget to remove the drain line at the end of the season and drain the pump for the winter.
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-16-2007, 8:41 PM Reply   
Do you have to buy the exact same OEM pump or can you buy the 750 gph Atwood at Wal-Mart?
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-16-2007, 8:57 PM Reply   
Check and see how the pump base plate attaches to the hull. If it just screws in and the screw can be removed then buy whatever pump you want. Sometimes the base plate is really hard to remove so buying the same pump makes life a lot easier. Check it out and basically do what makes sense. Good luck and having a bilge is always a good thing especially if you weight the boat and occasionally dunk the nose or take water over the stern.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-18-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
On my boat, and many others, the bilge pump circuit has a small LED light that is on when ever the circuit is on. The pump will still not turn on until there is enough water in the bilge to lift the float, or in some cases the pump will cycle on every few minutes.

Here, do this. Take garden hose, fill the bottom of the boat with enough water to cover the bilge pump. Turn the switch on. If the pump removes 90% of the water then everything is great. If it doesn't, fix it.

Kill two birds with one stone. Throw some soap in and wash the bilge while you are at it.

Rod