Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-20-2005, 8:35 AM Reply   
Any suggestions?
Here is what I have
-GG bag in front (1000-1100 lbs)
-2 - 650LB front locker bags in the back lockers
I also have 2 - 450lb sacs I can bring with.

Should I fill the front locker bag? Fill it all the way? Partial? not al all?
I plan on definitely filling the rear port bag and putting everyone over there and maybe putting another 450LB bag over there.....
Has anyone surfed the 21V yet? Thanks for your tip
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-20-2005, 10:08 AM Reply   
Diggs, did you get the larger bags through your dealer or was there somewhere online?

I’ve heard the Supras use a special kind of connector to link the bags to the tubes, is that correct? Also do you know what ballast the 21v comes with standard?

I haven’t picked up my 21v (just bought last week) so I am unable to check myself.
I plan on Wakesurfing a ton so I am also interested in how to properly weight it. Thanks!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-20-2005, 10:16 AM Reply   
I got them through my dealer.... not sure about special connections.
I just had him put two normal front locker bags in the back to bring weight forward a little and then GG bag in the front locker (as suggested by others on the board)
Congrats on the new ride.. post pics once you get it!
Old     (fhu667)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-20-2005, 10:28 AM Reply   
I have the same setup as you. We have a nice surf wake with the front bag loaded and the driver's side rear bag loaded and nothing in the passenger rear. That's with two people in the boat and one riding. We have also tried surfing on the passenger side, but we found that we needed more weight to get a reasonable wake. I believe we also found that the wake looked best with the wake plate all the way up.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-20-2005, 10:36 AM Reply   
Frank,
Thanks.... We will have to check it out. I have always heard and most on these boards say always surf off passenger side except for on Nautiques because they are the only ones with opposite prob rotation... My old DD Launch was better on the passenger side...
Old     (fhu667)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-20-2005, 11:41 AM Reply   
I would have figured that it would have been better no the passenger side as well, but I knew that we didn't have enough weight that day since there would only be two in the boat while one was surfing. And one of those in the boat was driving, so we figured we'd just try it from the driver's side to see what happened. I thought it turned out just fine, and I didn't have to fill any other bags.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-20-2005, 11:59 AM Reply   
yeah that makes sense... well off to try it out... will report back..
Old     (fhu667)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-20-2005, 12:00 PM Reply   
Bill,
The bags that Supra uses are made by Barefoot International, Fligh High. They have the same fittings that the Pro X series bags have. The bags have a quick connect for the ballast system that may or may not only be used by Supra, but the quick connect fittings screw into the bags. What I have done, and it sounds like Diggs has also done, is order the gravity bags; and then use the original rear bags for extra ballast in the boat. If you do that Barefoot international sells the pump and all the fittings so that you can fill these externally.

The factory ballast has one 600lb bag in the front, and the two 450lb bags in the rear. I thought the rear bags were smaller than that, but I'm assuming that is what Diggs is referring to when he says that he has 2 extra 450lb sacks.

When you do the upgrade you buy one 1000lb sack and one 600lb. sack. Put the 1000lb in the front and move the 600lb to one side and put the new 600lb on the other side. The storage inside the boat was designed so that you can run the long 600lb bag through the rear storage and underneath the rear side seat. I'm not sure that's a good explanation, but that's basically how it works. In my opionion, that is too much ballast in the rear of the boat, and it makes the boat dificult to plane if the rear bags are full and you have riders in the rear seats of the boat. We usually fill these rear bags at about half capacity and fill the front completely. Then run the wake plate at about half. I've never had anything other than compliments with this set up, but if you need more (and who doesn't) then you take the two spare 450lb bags and put them in the playpen. The Supra 21V definitely benefits from having more weight in the bow.

This is only an opionion, but it has worked well for me.

In case anyone is intrested, I have pasted my order for the fittings and connectors for my sacks that I place in the play pen or move to the rear for surfing. I already had the pump, so it's not included. The parts can be seen at www.barefootinternational.com .

1 - W733 (11/8" Barbed Tsunami Pump Hose End/Male Quick Connect)
1- W734 (Tsunami Pump Thread/Male Quick Connect)
2- W730 (Female Quick Connect/Sac Valve treads w/ Chain & Male Quick
Connect Cap)

(Message edited by fhu667 on April 20, 2005)
Old     (fhu667)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-20-2005, 7:51 PM Reply   
One other note. The stock rear bags are 250lbs each.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-20-2005, 10:38 PM Reply   
yeah... 250lb stock bags in the back... I have a seperate pair of 450lb bags.
Frank are you running those extra bags through your gravity system (click of a switch) or filling seperately?
Old     (fhu667)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-21-2005, 7:20 AM Reply   
I don't use the extra bags very often, so I am filling them with an external pump. It looked like more of a project than I wanted to tackle to plumb those internally. Also, it will give me the ability to move them to the rear of the boat for surfing; although I haven't had the need for that yet.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-21-2005, 8:20 AM Reply   
Concerning adding weight to the bow of the 21V:
I noticed the stock bow in the 'basement' has another threaded hole with a cap at the bow end. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to get necessary connectors and run two hoses, one each to smaller bags on both sides of the basement? All using the factory pump system.

Make sense? hmmmmmm?
Old     (fhu667)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-21-2005, 8:53 AM Reply   
I'm betting that filling it using that method would be pretty easy. I would think that draining it might be another story though. Getting the water to flow from the two new side bags to the main bag might be a problem when removing ballast. I would think that this would require the drain hoses to be connected directly to the line that pumps the water out, and they would have to be towards the stern of the boat.
Old     (dan_lee)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-21-2005, 11:55 PM Reply   
I did this on my SSV, used a Fluid Concepts 1000lbs bag, then added a 250lbs bag on the front of that which would fill up from force of the big bag getting full.

I'll agree about more weight in the bow making the wake better.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-22-2005, 5:57 AM Reply   
Dan-did they empty with the stock pump set up?