Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-07-2005, 11:07 AM Reply   
Married with children, do you still have your boat? photos?

We all know that we can just about have want we want when we are single, Brand new boat and truck, no problem, what else would we spend our money on...

Now we are married and have children, so did we get to keep are truck and boat? or did we have to down size to a 12' fishing boat and a 87 S10 blazer?

Lets see what you ended up with, show your photos
Old    swass            02-07-2005, 11:41 AM Reply   
Two kids and a boat. We just don't use it as much post kids vs. pre kids.
Old    buttskimmer            02-07-2005, 11:54 AM Reply   
The next level is teen kids. When my kids were little - no boat - grandpa had the boat. My youngest son turned 16 this past weekend - we bought a new Supra SSV last Feb and a new Black (to match the boat) GMC ext cab 5.3 w/ posi rear end in Jan of this year. Don't have a pic of them together yet - but they do look real good together.
So even though when the kids start coming and boat use less - you have something to look forward to later. I have found that the boat keeps the teens interested in something and the family together more. They still do "other" things, but we have a great time riding and hangin on the weekends !!!!
p.s. - check the pic gallery for a pic of the boat and old truck
~S~
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-07-2005, 11:56 AM Reply   
Did not get first boat until post marriage and post first child. #2 will be here April, so I will likely spend less time this year, but still keeping the boat.

Wife was cool with boat and car upgrade. first boat was 88 Supra pulled by Explorer, now have Tige 21V pulled by Expedition.. No complaints here, but she does get a bit nervous when I go to the Malibu and Lincoln dealers now

(Message edited by RKG on February 07, 2005)
Old    bambamski            02-07-2005, 12:11 PM Reply   
Kids are one of the main reasons we own a boat. My kids are 15 and 9, we've owned a boat for 8 or 9 years now.

I think one of the greatest boats adds I've seen is from a MC dealer in Ontario, it states. "I know what your kids did last summer". My wife and I want to spend time with the kids and what better way to do that? When we go to the lake they always have the choice of staying home or coming out with us. They've never chosen not to go to the lake, as well each of kid is allowed to bring a friend so we always have a boat full of people.

Snowboarding in the winter is the same thing. Given the choice to go snowboarding with dad and mom or go to the mall, my kids always choose going to the mountains. It's a choice and an expensive one at that, but in the end my wife and I think it's worth ever pennie. I would much rather be the parent that has all the kids at their house then not knowing where my kids are at.

It may be a little tougher getting out when the kids are really little, but now I can't imagine owning a boat without the kids.
Old    bambamski            02-07-2005, 12:31 PM Reply   
a couple of pics, Sitting out in the middle of the lake on one of our $100,000 dollar days.

Old    byerly137pro            02-07-2005, 1:02 PM Reply   
100, 000 dollar days good one!
Old    zboomer            02-07-2005, 1:11 PM Reply   
Pat said: Kids are one of the main reasons we own a boat.

I hear ya dude! I've got a 15-year old, and boating is fun all over again!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-07-2005, 1:54 PM Reply   
Agreed.... Boat makes for some great family fun. Pat's post could not describe my feelings better.
Here is the Little Man's ride...

E.J.
Old    bigdeal            02-07-2005, 2:29 PM Reply   
I agree with the previous comments. Boat + Kids = Lots of fantastic memories! Here's a couple 'In-Training' shots from last summer. My son's on the boom, and my friend's kid is learnin' to drive. Both of them were 6 years old at the time.

Old     (sangeria)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-07-2005, 2:43 PM Reply   
My son was on the boat with us at 3 months and my daughter at 2 weeks. They both love the boat and it's our favorite place to spend time as a family. We had twins last summer, which slowed us down considerably, but they'll be our there with us this year. It's a lot more difficult with kids but creates lots of great memories for us and them. My son is happiest on the boat, helping pull in the rope, helping grab my binding lube, holding his sister, whatever is needed. Nothing like being out in the middle of the lake all together. Everyone has to get along and everyone has a job to do. Now that we have PerfectPass the days of holding a baby with one hand and managing to drive and throttle are over! YEAH! Hope that answers your question: Married w/ 4 small kids + BOAT = FUN!!!!
Old    backdoc            02-07-2005, 2:53 PM Reply   
NOT JUST ONE BOAT BUT 2 BOATS A BIG CRUISER AND A BRAND NEW MASTERCRAFT X45 WE JUST ORDERED, TOW THEM WITH EITHER A H1 HUMMER OR A NEW CADILLAC ESCALADE ESV(FAMILY CAR). SO LIFE DOESN'T END WITH I DO! KIDS LOVE IT, THAT HELPS ALOT.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-07-2005, 3:38 PM Reply   
Do what I did and make a deal with your wife first. I promised her a kid if she let me get a boat. We had the kid first, but we eventually got the boat.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-07-2005, 4:09 PM Reply   
some great post here.
I got to hang on to my muscle car through out my marrage and 3 kids, everyone got tired of the car so sold the car and got a boat, that was the best thing that ever happend, a boat is a great family tool, I wouldn't trade it for anything, except for a new boat, but this boat will do for now
Old    leggester            02-07-2005, 4:38 PM Reply   
Kids'n'boat. Gave up other things, but not the boat.

Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-07-2005, 5:00 PM Reply   
My parents came from driving a 80's honda civic and a 79 Mercedes Benz when I was around the age of three, and since then they have been lucky enough to provide me with a new 2003 VLX which we purchased a couple years ago, our second boat, first was a used Centurion. Now we have our 100,000 days with either one of our tahoes and the VLX. Boats provide great family fun. My parents have been fortunate enough to spoil me (too much to tell you the truth, I don't recommend it, they can be come unappreciative. I have been there).

On a side note, my parents just bought me a subaru WRX, and the dealer said i could pull someone up a cliff, so look forward to some ditch boarding videos behind a rally car. haha.
Old     (sordave)      Join Date: May 2002       02-07-2005, 5:38 PM Reply   
We have had a boat and kids for about 7 years - some of our best memories. If it wasn't for soccer, we would spend a lot more time on the lake. Our kids and usually a couple of their friends are always with us.

Old    fun9c1            02-07-2005, 6:43 PM Reply   
Not sure if you're asking because you need to decide, or just for the sake of conversation, but I say as long as you can make ends meet and still keep the boat, do it! For someone who's toughest decision is which $50k vehicle to tow their $50k boat with, it's easy to say keep the boat. In my case I talked my wife into the boat before we had a kid, 'cause I knew once we had a kid she wouldn't see a boat as a smart thing to spend our money on. But now that she sees how fun it is, and how much our daughter loves the boat and the water, as long as the bills can get paid, the boat is here to stay! Only 13 more years, and she'll be driving for me!

Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-07-2005, 6:52 PM Reply   
The reason we bought the boat. With 7 kids from 1 to 14 it is the perfect family activity. Here is some pics of last summer.

Old     (dls)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-07-2005, 7:30 PM Reply   
When I bought my 04 boat in sept 03 my plan was to order an 06 Sept of this year,
then buy a new deisel tow rig when my factory warranty was up on the current 01 GMC.
Well that plan is no more, last year I got MARRIED...
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-07-2005, 8:03 PM Reply   
Some really kewl pics on this thread, I have a 5 year old boy who I have to chase down and stuff into a tube crying his eyes out, and a 10 year old daughter who got up for the first time on skis last year. We just bought out first boat and I am hoing they really enjoy it this summer. I know I am looking forward to it. We have a Houseboat trip planned at Shasta this June
Old     (themann39)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-07-2005, 8:20 PM Reply   
Hey this is the view form a kid that grew up with a boat for his whole life. I have some of my best memories of spending time behind our boat when i was little. I know that it was hard for my parents to do considering that we only got to use the boat half the year but if you can pull it off then do it. I know that i will have a boat when i start my family because i will want my kids to have the same memories that i have from summers on the lake.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-07-2005, 8:31 PM Reply   
After getting out of the Navy, we agreed 1) house, 2) boat, 3) boobs, and 4) eyes. In that order. Then kids.

Kids caused the first to happen sooner than expected, then number two and three had to wait six years. Four doesn't look like it's happening soon. Somewhere in there, the Tercel gave way to an Exploder, then that particular hunk was replaced with the Sequoia.

Funny/lucky/ironic that the vision has held, plus or minus, since '96.

Princess
Prince
Elsi January 05 pic one
Aint that the shizzle
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-07-2005, 8:41 PM Reply   
This also from a kids POV. My parents have never been without a boat since they got married 35yrs ago. My two older sisters and I grew up on the water from day one. Now my sister that is married has a boat to have the same memories with her children that she had growing up. The majority of my best memories are on the water and I would not have it any other way. Now granted this is not my kid but rather my niece but it really sums up the fun and enjoyment that comes out of seeing them accomplish things. The pic posted is her first time on the surfboard, which now everytime it comes out she is the first one on it. And during the entire winter all she can talk about is trying to ski and wanting to wakeboard with me next summer.

Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-07-2005, 8:48 PM Reply   
Wow. Seeing that kid getting ready to rock in the dry suit makes me jealous. I need to hit the water more often in the winter. Grr. Awsome pictures, good thread. As mentioned above, over the past 3-4 years my memorys on the lake stand out. It's good family fun.
Old     (nbeihl)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-07-2005, 9:41 PM Reply   
We are due in May and when I got on this post, I was wondering if I was going to have to get rid of the boat. Not for money reasons, but beacuse I thought I would ever use it again. It appears as though we will be having our new born out on the water (in the boat that is) as early as 1 month!!! By the way, I have an older boat 89' with a new 4X4 powerstroke!
Old    jmo52            02-07-2005, 11:08 PM Reply   
Derek your boy looks like a total BAD A$$ driving your boat.Start em young that's what I say.
Old     (bdehaan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-08-2005, 9:50 AM Reply   
It is by far the best investment you can make in the sense of family fun, closeness, bonding ever. We bought our boat 3 yrs ago, and primarily all we do all Summer is boat/wakeboard. My oldest is a 15 yr old teenage girl, which I struggle getting along with at times. (Lippy, disrespectful, selfish - all the regular teenage traits) But, when we go to the lake and wakeboard it's priceless. We went fishing with GPA and GMA last Summer on a fish lake, and all my daughter and I talked about was how sweet the water would have been for wakeboarding, but that the fishing dudes would not have appreciated our carving all around them.
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-08-2005, 9:52 AM Reply   
We've been taking our youngster out on the boat since before she could walk. I've wanted to upgrade to a V for quite sometime but the wife and I decided to opt for the best day care money can't buy. My wife quit her job and is staying at home until our little girl starts school. The day my wife starts back to work is the day I start looking for a V-drive - “but honey, how is she ever going to make the pro circuit if we don’t get her a V-drive?” In the meantime the old, but paid for, D-drive will have to do the trick.

Gabby
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-08-2005, 11:21 AM Reply   
My dad got our first boat when i was 2, we would all go out and have a ball on it, would go houseboating etc. I would go out on the boat for my birthday. Then this past year we got our second boat, and we go out even more. Mom has stoped comming, but knows when we come home slightly burned, bruised, and sore , but with a big smile that we had a good time.
Old     (aoblak)      Join Date: Jan 2002       02-08-2005, 11:45 AM Reply   
I currently have a 14 year old step son, a 4 four year old boay and a 6 month old boy. My lattest addidtion was on the boat when he was 3 days old and my four year old had to wait a couple of months because he was born at the end of January. Everyone asked my wife and I if we were crazy for taking him on the boat so soon, and my response was he lives in my house he has no choice but to love the boat.
Old     (wake_pop)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-08-2005, 11:53 AM Reply   
I bought out 1st boat 15 years because of the kids. It seemed like the perfect (although pricey) family activity. I'd rather have my kids and their friends with us at the lake than at the mall hanging out all weekend. Our kids are 18-25 years old I'll have 3 kids in college next year, but I'd never consider getting rid of the boat or all the toys that go with it. 1st pic is our youngest surfing last summer and 2nd pic is our grandson at the lake. The next generation is learning the ropes.
Old     (wake_pop)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-08-2005, 11:55 AM Reply   
Oops. So much for multiple pics.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-08-2005, 12:01 PM Reply   
Bought my boat right before my 2nd child was born. Me and my wife have never spent so much time together. IMO one of the best things we ever did.

This is kinda on the same issue. I always wanted to ask this question to those who have kids. With having kids and them doing sports and all that. Do you find it hard to go out on the boat?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-08-2005, 12:05 PM Reply   
Family, kids & friends are what make boating special.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-08-2005, 12:20 PM Reply   
I don’t find it hard to get out on the boat…. Sports only take so much time. Most are geared towards the school year. If we get into travel team, that may bump into lake time, but I don’t suspect we will notice much.

E.J.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-08-2005, 1:03 PM Reply   
Using the boom to teach. I never even thought about it. Does it work for wakeboarding as well? That will save me a ton of time next summer. Thanks Mike.
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-08-2005, 1:32 PM Reply   
Darren

What kind of boat is that? Pardon my ignorance, but I've never seen a closed bow V-Drive (except the old Nauty Excel/Barefoot). Nice boat!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-08-2005, 1:53 PM Reply   
'03 Sanger v210 is what it says in his profile.
Old     (sjmedic)      Join Date: May 2004       02-08-2005, 2:13 PM Reply   
This is a great thread. 14 and 12 year olds, just getting to be a kick in the pants to bring along. In a few more years I will have a built-in crew! Keep the next generation interested in the sport.....Pushes us old folks to try more things too!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-08-2005, 2:40 PM Reply   
Yeah that is the V210, its an open bow Jim, it just had the bow cover on because it was winter, hence the hats & jackets.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-08-2005, 3:03 PM Reply   
This turned out to be a great thread, I never expected to get such response, I feel the same way as everyone else. Family and boating is the best.
This is like the best thing in the world for my 14 year old daughter, to be better than the boys...
felicia
Old     (nbeihl)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-08-2005, 3:44 PM Reply   
Allen, thanks for mentioning that you took out your 3 day old child. Now I can tall the wife that I am not the onl crazy one!
Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-08-2005, 3:53 PM Reply   
Great thread...I grew up boating and my wife did not. Now that I have her and the kids hooked, we spend almost every weekend at the lake. Best money I ever spent...wife didn't even blink when I told her we needed to upgrade the '87 Nautique for a new SAN when the kinds came around. Here's a few pictures of our 5 year old last summer...our 3 year son rides between my feet on the wakebaord and surfboard...wish I could find a digital of that. PICTURES WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS!

(Message edited by mike t on February 08, 2005)
Old     (aoblak)      Join Date: Jan 2002       02-08-2005, 4:41 PM Reply   
Nick, tell your wife you have to break them in early (we were not out ther riding or anything) I just wanted to get on the water with my wife and have a beer.
Old     (mike_t)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-08-2005, 4:46 PM Reply   
woops...here's the pics

Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-08-2005, 4:54 PM Reply   
Wow. Awsome pictures man! Way to start them young. Carving like a mad man! Looks like fun. Sweet thread.
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-08-2005, 5:57 PM Reply   
im not a parent but i am a son of two loving parents that can support my brother and i and we have a nice wakesetter and im getting a 2000 GMC Jimmy (that matches the boat)for my first car, so i cant complain one bit. we have always had a boat since i was about 6
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-08-2005, 5:58 PM Reply   
sorry here is the picture

Old     (clintrn)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-08-2005, 5:59 PM Reply   
The young the better. They learn to love the water. It's sad when we take friends with kids ages 8-15, and they're scared of the water. Here's my boy at age 11 months on the wakesurfer.
caleb
caleb boat
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-08-2005, 7:07 PM Reply   
Two sons. 14 and 12. plus all their friends and a few parents who we have taught to wakeboard. Hopefully, it'll keep them hanging out with us for a few more years.
Old     (eustace)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-11-2005, 6:23 AM Reply   
My wife and I both grew up around boats, all be it her families boats were a heck of a lot nicer then the clunkers my Pop had, but the result is the same “Being on the water just becomes a part of you”.

It’s cool the see it our son, he is 5 now and has been around boat and on the water since he was born.

You just can’t put a $ tag on those times together on the boat,,, worth every penny and every sacrifice.

Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-11-2005, 7:23 AM Reply   
this thread gets my vote for 'Best Thread Ever'
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-11-2005, 5:04 PM Reply   
IF you can't boat with your own kid, it just ain't worth boating. We'll get plenty of adults only time when they grow up and get their own families and boats.
Old     (drj)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-12-2005, 7:44 AM Reply   
"Married with children, do you still have your boat?" I would say that boating is the best way to keep a family together.

Can you imagine my 15 year old daughter likes hanging out with her dad on the boat (has nothing to do with crew of wakeboarders that ride with us). I might even be a little guilty of re-living my youth through my 10 year old son. Wow am I having fun.

For the sake of keeping the family tight get a nice boat.
Old     (drj)      Join Date: Jan 2005       02-12-2005, 7:47 AM Reply   
Cris & Coop
Old    busstufj            03-05-2005, 5:16 AM Reply   
Family time on Deeep Creek Lake.

x star
tubin
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-05-2005, 8:12 PM Reply   
The wife, kids, sister, inlaws (kinda), friends and awesome family summers on the lake can actually really help justify new toys, especially if the boss likes them as much as you do :-)

Old     (hsmunoz)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-05-2005, 9:17 PM Reply   
I got my first boat,just after my wife told me that #2 was on the way. and we have never looked back. We are always on the water with the kids. anytime we are bickering over TV, at night, I just pull out a tape of some day on the water, and everyone just starts laughing and joking. I can re-use the memories over and over. The other day we could not get over how our youngest has changed, PRICELESS!!!.
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-09-2005, 6:17 PM Reply   
took this crew to Baltimore's Inner Harbor. Oldest son wanted to go to Hooters for his birthday in the middle of Oct. Imagine trying to remind them of the "hands off policy".
Pack of wild dogs
Best friends since 3 years old
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-10-2005, 10:02 AM Reply   
Its all about the kids!

Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-10-2005, 10:18 AM Reply   
Cmon now - while this is the best thread ever... you can't forget that chicks dig boats!!

so its not ALL about the kids..
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-10-2005, 10:30 AM Reply   
Thats what happens:
Guy(single) has boat.
Chicks flock to the boat.
Guy hooks up with chick.
Guy now has a family.

Although nothing beats family time on the boat!!
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-10-2005, 10:34 AM Reply   
When we first got married we had a Ski Centurion Sport Bow Rider. Then our daughter came and we sold our condo to buy a house. At that time we sold the boat because we could not afford it back then.

Went without boat for for about 3 years and then bought our current boat new, a 03 Tige 22I.

Great family activity, though I seem to go out with my friends more than the whole family. But now that the daughter just turned 8 I think this is the season she really falls in love with Wakeboarding. So I expect her out more. Now if only she would stop being invited to birthday parties every weekend! LOL

But yeah if you can afford a boat buy one or keep your current one. If not that sometimes is the first thing that has to go.

Here is the only picture I have at the office. That is our daughter two seasons ago with the pink bunny! LOL ALso in picutre is my sister and wife, plus friends!

Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-10-2005, 10:48 AM Reply   
All right Chris...you busted me. Its really all about me and the chicks!!
I just borrowed those kids to be on the "BEST THREAD EVER" !!
Old     (ccwhite)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-10-2005, 11:26 AM Reply   
Troy - Is that kinda like buying a frame with kids in it and placing it on your desk? LOL
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-10-2005, 12:05 PM Reply   
The best part about having kids and a boat, is more hands to clean up after a day on the lake!
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-10-2005, 2:46 PM Reply   
The name of my new boat is "Priceless" because that's what days on the lake with my family are. These pics are with the old boat but you can feel the stoke....

Chillin at the River
Stoked!

Go Faster Daddy!
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-10-2005, 5:13 PM Reply   

Daughter and wife on 4th of July evening on Biog Bear Lake waiting for the fireworks to go off!

My mom and our Daughter "her grandma" 4th of July.

Friends and family sipping Mai Tais and waiting for the fireworks. Now that is a big part of boating fun. Times like these that you always remember and talk about for years to come!!
Old     (outbackls)      Join Date: May 2004       03-11-2005, 8:26 AM Reply   
We will never be without a boat, our family loves spending time on the water. Just ordered a new Mobius LSV

Old    hyperryd            03-11-2005, 10:24 AM Reply   
Here is my daughter Hanna at 6 months old having fun at the lake. I can't wait until summer to let her really enjoy the water.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-11-2005, 1:11 PM Reply   
19 months old......

Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-12-2005, 9:30 AM Reply   
Jamie
That is unreal, 19 months old, That is really too cool.
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-14-2005, 7:31 AM Reply   
Of course, winter is here now.......