Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-09-2010, 8:25 AM Reply   
It looks like the Obama/Pelosi/Reid plan to finish the healthcare disaster behind closed doors is drawing some withering friendly fire. One of the sources is CNN's Jack Cafferty, who has not been known as a friend of Republicans. Here's what he has to say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pO1oJPps1I&feature=player_embedded

Is there any defense to this blatant repudiation of Pelosi's commitment to openness and ethics that dates back to 2006" Or Obama's promise to conduct the healthcare debate in public, on C-SPAN? What are they afraid of? What are they hiding? Why are they hiding?
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-09-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
It's a mess.
Those who voted for this administration based off color or "He's not Bush", are now realizing it's a mistake of historical proportions.
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-09-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
When a child steals a cookie from the cookie jar before lunch, does the child eat the cookie in front of his parents or does he hide in the back room to finish his forbidden task?
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-09-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
I love Cafferty. One of the very few who tells it like it is regardless of his subjects' political affiliation. Bravo, Jack.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       01-09-2010, 11:01 AM Reply   
I agree Paul Props to Cafferty for calling Obama out on this lie.

If this Health Care Bill is so good for America, like they say, they why hide?

(Message edited by innov8 on January 09, 2010)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       01-09-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
Definitely shows a lot of character cuz there is no doubt this guy will face some grief for his rant, but he did it anyway. I really liked the emphasis at the end when he dropped the "crap" bomb!

The whole bribing for votes thing they're doing behind closed doors should disgust every American no matter what side of the aisle you're on! It still blows me away that the people aren't angrier about stuff like this.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-09-2010, 12:32 PM Reply   
Most people hide behind their partisanship, Dave. For example, while this crap was going on for 8 years under Bush, most people around here either remained silent or defended the Bush Administration. Now that it's a Democrat in office, those same people start threads and repeatedly express outrage. LOL
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       01-09-2010, 1:02 PM Reply   
Fact is...it is "us" against "them".

Anybody that actually believes that the majority of government is looking out for our best interest is just plain ignorant. Career politicians are evil. All they want is what is best for themselves.

You are completely correct Paul. It is, however, no laughing matter. It is sad. and angering. This whole taking sides thing has to go.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-09-2010, 1:27 PM Reply   
"...while this crap was going on for 8 years under Bush..."

So, in your view, Obama = Bush? That's funny. But it raises the question why a cheerleader for the anti-Bush crowd has hardly spoken critical word about Obama. Is it that "hide behind partisanship" thing?

As for the "people starting this thread" remark, I was much more critical of Bush than you have been of Obama. But then again, maybe you're proud of hiding behind your partisanship.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-09-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
No, Obama does not equal Bush, and of course it is my belief that Bush was a beyond awful President, probably the worst in history.

Obviously I would take Obama in a second over Bush, or over McCain/Palin (LOL Palin), but that doesn't mean I don't have serious issues with the guy. Overall, I have been disappointed with him and have said that several times here on Wakeworld.

Sorry, Jeff, but I do not recall you starting threads criticizing Bush, and frankly I don't remember you criticizing him at all. If I have simply forgetten those threads you started, my apologies.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-09-2010, 1:42 PM Reply   
LOL

Upload

Honest leadership? Well, sure, except for Chris Dodd, et al. And bribes with taxpayer dollars to get votes for legislation that is wildly unpopular with the left, the right, and a lot of independents.

Open government? Yeah, right.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-09-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
Okay, maybe I misread your statement "while this crap was going on for 8 years under Bush...." I thought "this crap" referred to what Obama is doing now.

Since Obama's "crap" is different from Bush's, it must mean that Bush did not blatantly lie during his campaign in order to win votes from suckers who believed in some schtick like "Hope and change." I could agree with that!
Old    stillstandin            01-09-2010, 3:47 PM Reply   
"No, Obama does not equal Bush, and of course it is my belief that Bush was a beyond awful President, probably the worst in history. "

I def. had issues with Bush, but Obama, is by FAR the WORST president in history so far...
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-09-2010, 4:37 PM Reply   
Paul why don't you check who had the majority in the house and senate for almost all of the bush adm. so any of this type of "crap was dems then as well as now.
Old     (baldboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-09-2010, 7:15 PM Reply   
No matter who is in office, I listen less to what they say and watch more what they do. The older I get, the more skeptical I am about this country. I used to be willing to sacrifice for the greater good of the country. But after continually being screwed over by our leaders, I will not sacrifice anymore than I am required. I will try to get every dime and benefit I can get from our government by any legal means necessary. And when I have sucked as much as I can from our government, like they sucked so much out of me, I will leave.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-09-2010, 7:48 PM Reply   
Well, Strib, I hope you're not a military retiree or on social security. Cause if you were, you'd be getting less from the government this year than last year.

That's right, less. There is no COLA for military retirees and SS recipients for 2010. PLUS, income tax withholding is going up. Thus, military and civilian pensioners will be taking home less this year than last year. I guess Obama has to figure some way to defray the costs of huge bonuses for executives of financial institutions that taxpayers bailed out, so he's decided to hit us geezers.

But not only us geezers. New income tax withholding rules with increased rates will apply to all taxpayers for 2010. Now, your taxes aren't going up (yet), but withholding is. So, Obama is taking a page from Ahnold's playbook and entitling himself to an under-the-table interest-free loan from - YOU! And everybody else.

Honest Leadership!
Open Government!
Ain't it grand?
Old     (mellowman)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-11-2010, 11:45 AM Reply   
"most people around here either remained silent or defended the Bush Administration."

Really???? How long have you been around? Did you not see the daily threads started bashing Bush?

"Cause if you were, you'd be getting less from the government this year than last year. That's right, less."

Welcome to the party. Most people I know in the workforce got no raises and there pay reduced last year. I guess I don't see the difference.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-11-2010, 11:49 AM Reply   
"Did you not see the daily threads started bashing Bush?"

He was either the author, or the second poster.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       01-12-2010, 8:23 AM Reply   
I love the lame old excuse that Bush did it.

Bush is no longer Pres and I guess you liberals just don't understand, that the only thing that matters now is what OBAMA is doing.

Bush was a not so good Pres, moreso in his second term, I will admit that, but what does Bush have to do with Obama?

Nothing that's what.

Obama wanted to be Pres, he is now our Pres, so he needs to start listening to us Americans and do as we say or get bashed for not listening to who he works for, yup that's correct Obama works for Us and the majority of Americans are not happy with how Obama is running our Country.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-12-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
"Obama works for Us and the majority of Americans are not happy with how Obama is running our Country."

According to Gallup (1/12/09)

Obama's Approval Rating

50% Approve
42% Disapprove
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-12-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
1/12/09?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-12-2010, 11:35 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-12-2010, 11:35 AM Reply   
"Obama enjoys 84% approval from Democrats, but closer to 50% approval from independents (currently 47%) and minimal support from Republicans (14%)."
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-12-2010, 11:57 AM Reply   
Cliff, I guess you're not one of those people that have trouble remembering this is a new year and takes a couple of weeks to get used to writing the new year. So, sorry 1/12/10.

The poll was used only to show that it is not a majority that disapprove of Obama.

And of course the support is going to be low in Republicans. A president could develop a cure for cancer and the opposing party would find some reason to bash them. Such is politics in the US.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-12-2010, 12:17 PM Reply   
And likewise about the blind support of the president's own party wouldn't you agree?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-12-2010, 1:22 PM Reply   
I don't get what you are saying. People support a party because that is the party of the president?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-12-2010, 1:25 PM Reply   
"And of course the support is going to be low in Republicans"

And of course the support is going to be high in Democrats..... whether they truly feel that way or not
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-12-2010, 1:29 PM Reply   
A-dub, I agree with that statement. Notice on my cure for cancer scenario, I made no mention of a specific party. Bipartisanship at its finest!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-12-2010, 1:39 PM Reply   
I was saying what A-dub said.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       01-12-2010, 1:54 PM Reply   
I like Rasmussen the best, thats what I go by.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content

/politics/obama_administration
/daily_presidential_tracking_poll
Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Tuesday shows that 26% of the nation's voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as President. Forty percent (40%) Strongly Disapprove giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of -14 (see trends).

Just 32% of voters favor an excise tax on the most expensive health insurance plans while 59% are opposed. Labor leaders have expressed their unhappiness with this part of the plan as well. Overall, 40% favor the health care plan before Congress and 55% are opposed.

Looking back, most voters still consider the bailouts of both the finance and auto industries to be a bad idea. By a 2-to-1 margin, voters believe that the bailouts hurt the economy in the long run.

Scott Rasmussen’s analysis of the Massachusetts Senate race sees a lot of common ground between recent polls.

Overall, 46% of voters say they at least somewhat approve of the President's performance. Fifty-three percent (53%) disapprove. To get a sense of longer-term trends, check out our month-by-month review of the President’s number
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-12-2010, 2:23 PM Reply   
I wasn't trying to bash you Jeremy. I only glanced at the thread without reading it. I wasn't sure if you were being sarcastic and posted an old poll, or made the mistake on the date that we all make.
Old     (tense)      Join Date: Sep 2001       01-12-2010, 5:13 PM Reply   
"Most people hide behind their partisanship"

Physician heal thyself.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-12-2010, 6:41 PM Reply   
Everyone's just angry because of the mess we're in. No one could fix the mess that years built up in just a year.

Don't pay much attention to politics, but I do know that's true at least.