Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 25, 2007

Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-27-2007, 11:31 AM Reply   
I recently purchased an 02 X-star. This is my first boat that has brakes on the trailer. The previous owner told me I needed to install the lockout key when ever I back up to prevent the brakes from engaging and the trailer from bouncing. I forgot to do this the other night and the trailer seemed to back up as normal as in the past. I have an 04 2500HD Chevy and I have the 5 way adapter. When I go in reverse are the brakes being bypassed through that 5th wire? Or do I still need to be using that lock out key?
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-27-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
Bob- Either you were backing it up slow enough or down a slope so the surge brakes didn't really engage OR the fifth pin is locking the brakes out for you automatically. You'll figure it out quick enough if the brakes are engaging then you'll need the key but if not Happy Backing... oh yeah, congrats on the new boat. I'm sure everyone would love to see some pictures if you get a chance.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-27-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
You only need the l/o key if you are going to unplug your lights. I wait until my trailer is going downhill & then unplug my lights so the brakes don't engage.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-27-2007, 12:45 PM Reply   
What Jory said. The 5th plug should activate the brake selinoid(sp) when you put truck in reverse.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-27-2007, 2:08 PM Reply   
Great, thanks guys.
Mike, check my profile. I hope to get more pictures this weekend.
Old     (jasa_rhone)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-27-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
Anyone know where to pick up the lockout key? Having a key on hand could prevent a ruined afternoon.

Any other suggestions to avoid the brake lockout? Is there any way to manually shut off the brakes?
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-27-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
Only way is with the brake lockout, or powering the fifth wire.

My extreme trailer came with one, But it doesnt' really work that well. Check with you trailer manufacture.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-27-2007, 4:05 PM Reply   
Check the brakes also to make sure they don't need to be changed. If they've never been worked on I will bet that they aren't engaging wether you are going forward or backwards.

check the fluid also.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-27-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
The trick if you don't have the 5th wire is this:

Unplug the lights and flip the plug over and plug it back in so only three of the plugs are in. Then turn on your headlights & voila it diengages the brakes & you can back up any slope you want. Works like a champ!

Is there any question of my brilliance?

Edit: No you don't need to use the lock key, you are 5 pin rollin!

(Message edited by stephan on April 27, 2007)
Old     (firemedic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-27-2007, 10:38 PM Reply   
Damn Heavy, you're a frikin' genius... I would have never thought of that. I installed a front mounted hitch on my GMC 2500 and had to run a power and ground to a 5 flat plug so I could put my boat in the garage. That fixed my issue, but your idea is sweet.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-28-2007, 8:45 AM Reply   
We used to do the plug flip all the time when I had a vehicle that only had the four pin plug. It works well.

Also, let's say you need to use the key and you don't have one, grab a socket out of your tool chest. I forgot which socket size it is that works. It works great. Of course you have to tape it on but you have to do that with keys most of the time as well. I can't take the credit for this one, a friend taught me this one recently.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       04-28-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
I have a very strong magnet attached to my lockout key. I got tired of trying to keep it in place, it also holds it the trailer when not in use so I always know where it is at!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-30-2007, 4:59 AM Reply   
Flippin Brilliant!!
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-02-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
Bob:

A good test you might want to run is to unplug your trailer lights then try to back up. If the brakes lock up then you not only know that it is the reverse lockout solenoid that is allowing you to back up but you will also know that the brakes work.

Rod
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       05-02-2007, 2:46 PM Reply   
while we're on this topic:

I have the 5-pin plug on the trailer but only the 4-pin Adapter on my truck. I have done the flip over technique to be able to back up an incline.

I need to go ahead and get a 5-pin for the truck, but can't find one anywhere. None of the Auto Parts places had them, and two large Boating stores didn't either.

Also, is there any trick to installing it. I can follow and switch the 4 wires on the truck now, but where does the 5th wire go?
Old     (jeffsv211)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-02-2007, 3:19 PM Reply   
You need to get the round RV style of plug then there is an adapter that takes to the 5 pin. U-haul or an RV place should be able to hook you up.
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-02-2007, 4:38 PM Reply   
Rich I ordered one from http://shop.easternmarine.com/
but then I lost that one (actually my dealer lost it) So went to a local trailer shop and had them make me one, cost me $10
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-02-2007, 4:55 PM Reply   
"Anyone know where to pick up the lockout key? Having a key on hand could prevent a ruined afternoon."

Jasa, not sure where to pick one of those up, but you can use a 3/8" socket, and it works just as well. At least I think it's 3/8". Might be another size, but one of them works... just can't remember which one right off the top of my head.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       05-02-2007, 5:35 PM Reply   
I didn't have a lockout key and I needed to back it into the garage with a garden tractor..., no way to override with electrical. I cut two short bolts to the exact length, put them in the slot and held in place with duct tape.

Pete, thanks for the link.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-04-2007, 8:55 AM Reply   
Rich:

I am surprised that you can't find the five pin flat plug at your autoparts store. Try the dealer that sold you the boat, I would think very poorly of them if they didn't carry one. Then there is always the internet.

Connecting the fifth wire could be very easy or it could be rather confusing, depending on your truck and how it is wired.

The fifth wire needs to connect the reverse lights. The easy situation is if you can get to the wire that leads to the reverse light on your truck AND this light is wired such that the wire has +12 volts on it only when the truck is in reverse. Just tap into that wire and connect it the fifth pin and you're all set.

Don't take it for granted that the wire that leads to the reverse light does what you think it does, however. There are two ways that the reverse light can be wired. The way one might normally think of is that the power is taken from the fuse panel to the reverse switch on the transmission and then from the other side of the switch to the reverse light.

There is another way, which I discovered my Ford used. The 12 volts from the fuse panel went first to the reverse light. Instead of the other connection of the light going directly to ground it went back to the transmission switch where it would be connected to ground when in reverse.

To solve that problem I had to add a relay. It was only a couple of bucks and everything fit behind the panel without any problems but it was a little confusing for a bit.

Rod
Old     (atvr)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-04-2007, 11:44 AM Reply   
Stick a nickle in the slot where the key goes. Hold in place with a bungie cord. Works like a champ.