Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old     (peterski)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-05-2005, 11:13 AM Reply   
Looking at ordering a 2006 VLX or LSV at end of season. Just got off the phone with a local dealer and was surprised at hearing how different the wake experience he thinks there is between these two boats. He basically said the LSV (with the 8.1L engine) wake is so much bigger, better, etc. and that comparing the two boats is comparing apples to oranges. Was wondeirng if anyone has any experience, insight and opinion to share on this topic. Thanks.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-05-2005, 11:53 AM Reply   
I think you might find a better answer to your question at this website:

http://www.themalibucrew.com

Also, I think there is a Malibu boat owners site as well.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-05-2005, 12:34 PM Reply   
They both have a great wake & the LSV is a bit wider, so its a little harder to ride at long line lengths. Inside is where you will notice the main difference, the LSV is HUGE!!! The VLX is more of a hardcore wake machine but the LSV definately gets it done. Good luck, have fun, you won't be disappointed.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-05-2005, 1:20 PM Reply   
I loved my LSV so much that when we worked with Malibu to do the "Official Boat of WakeWorld," I asked them if I could get another LSV. However, they wanted to promote the VLX as their premier wakeboard boat, so that's what I ended up with. However, I'm sooooo glad that they made me go with the VLX. It's only 12 inches shorter than my 2000 LSV and the passenger area looks to be at least the same size as my LSV. So I didn't lose any passenger space and the wake is phenomenal.

I like the VLX better because the stock weight is enough to satisfy most riders. The LSV is a little tougher to sink, so you have to use a lot more weight. Plus, the VLX has a more "normal" sized wake as far as width goes. The LSV kicks a very wide wake and it was always tough getting used to riding on other boats because I was used to the wider wake. My new VLX wake is a little lippier than the LSV, which I really like.

Keep in mind that I'm comparing a 2000 LSV with a 2006 VLX. I know riders like Gerry Nunn and Darin Shapiro run LSV's and weight them down like crazy for absolutely huge wakes. Gerry's is rumored to be the "best wake in Florida," so a lot of it depends on how much effort you want to put into tuning your wake.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       08-05-2005, 3:00 PM Reply   
Good summary Dave. I sure hope you are happy with the new ride!

http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/ may also be a helpful place to get some info.

You will be able to get a nice wake out of both boats… Depends how much room you need in the boat and if you want to deal with extra ballast or not.

I have an 04 VLX and when behind my friends 05…. It’s HUGE inside! I can’t imagine why you would need more room inside the boat! Especially with the rear ballast being under the floor.

The newer LSV I rode behind was not fully loaded (gas too) and the water was not the best that day…. But yes it is a bit wider than the VLX.

I say VLX.

Not sure the 8.1 would be my first choice of engines based on current gas prices either.

Old     (mikerod29)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-05-2005, 6:23 PM Reply   
let me put it this way in my limited experience with the two boats. LSV, BIG!!!!!, in all areas. VLX, awesome wake, & Large in all areas. Biggest difference for me is this sound, CHA CHING, CHA CHING, CHA CHING. That is what it sounds like when you pull up to the gas station in the LSV cuz you are about to spend some coin on gas and in CA with prices approaching $2.75 per gallon at the cheap places I think this will make your decision for you in the long run.