Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (MuskokaJ)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-16-2012, 6:30 PM Reply   
Just thought I would share on the WW forum my feedback from a recent surf session on the Super Air Nautique G23. I've always had the impression that Nautiqe builds good quality boats, but have never given them a serious look due to the fact that none of the models (that I have experienced) have demonstrated a solid surf wake. I had heard that the G23 was different in this regard, so I went to spend some time with my local dealer who was kind enough to take me out for a surf session with their demo model. I currently own a Tige RZ2, which throws a really solid surf wake and meets our needs quite well, but I'm always interested in new product.

Anyway, first impression of the G23 is that it is a lot of boat. Large in scale, and gobs of interior room. The new flooring they have used is really interesting, comfortable on the feet and looks like teak. The quality of the workmanship on the boat is top notch, in every detail. One thing that seemed a bit strange to me was how low the bimini top sits, you have to duck under it to avoid hitting your head (unless you are really short). The bimini itself is really functional, with integrated surf pockets for 3 boards on top, and provides mega shade. Part of the reason it shades so well is the fact that it is lower. When running, I appreciated the amount of shade, but still wonder about the height. Storage is insane on this boat. The area under the port side dash is humungous, and could literally be large enough for a head. Could throw tons of stuff in there, including boards, gear, whatever.

Enough about the boat details, and onto the surf. Before we filled the ballast tanks, I opened up the rear lockers and saw no bags. That was going to be a problem, or so I thought. The dealer explained to me that the boat comes stock with 2800 pounds of in-floor ballast hard tanks (950 in each rear corner), and that the boat "doesn't really need aftermarket bags". I thought, "sure it doesn't". The dealer set me up for starboard/goofy surf, and filled the rear starboard tank 100% (905-lbs), and filled the mid-ship tank 5/8ths full (I'm guessing about 550-lbs roughly). Fill time was pretty normal, not too bad, can't remember exactly how long. Set the speed at 11.8 mph, and got started. Once up, I noticed that the wake formed quite early and the boat stabilized quickly. The wake it produced was clean, with a nice lip, and nice transition shape. The wake had a nice long pocket. I was really impressed with how easily out of the box this boat produced a really nice surf wake.

Coupld of additional details I noticed while surfing. First the swim platform is nicely shaped to avoid cutting into the wake. Second, the freeboard on the hull along the side and near the rear corners is super high. It causes the boat to look a little large in the rear, but it is super functional from a safety standpoint, and also from a ballasting standpoint. The dealer told me that they recently built a G23 for a customer with additional 1000-lb bags in each rear locker, and the freeboard comes in really handy when adding the extra ballast.

My question for anyone here, has anyone surfed the G23 with a custom ballast? I think this boat has a ton of potential, and I know the Monster G23 was recently used in a pro wakesurf event.

The last thing I covered with the dealer was pricing, and I was literally shocked when he told me. The boat we were testing had a sticker of about $140K! Whoa, that is steep. Not sure that the price makes sense, but the G23 is one hell of a boat.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-17-2012, 4:08 AM Reply   
Any pictures or video?
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-17-2012, 5:30 AM Reply   
I had a very similar experience this weekend on the G23. I agree with what has been said above about the boat. I am still in awe of this beast.

We surfed both sides, completely stock, driver and rider only. It was really clean with decent length and great push on both sides. I did not take any pics.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-17-2012, 5:55 AM Reply   
I own a G23 and have only done limited surfing with both stock and extra ballast. At times, I will throw another 750 pounds in the rear port locker, and another 375 in the bow walkway. We usually go at about 10.9 mph. The wave with the extra ballast is indeed bigger (taller and longer) than stock

If you are interested in purchasing one, mine is actually for sale. If you are serious, and want to save yourself about $20,000, give me a ring at 507-951-5222.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       09-17-2012, 6:17 AM Reply   
Great write up Muskoka. The new G's actually have 2 bimini options just in case you don't like the lower of the two. I'm assuming it had the Z5 on it which hangs very low but is capable of supporting just about anything. The new bimini branches off of the top of the tower and has two wings that fold out. One of the easiest bimini's I've ever had to open and close. It also has tons of coverage. Just as much as the Z5 if not more. As far as surfing we sold a G with plummed in 1000lb sacs in each rear locker. Another 500lb of the front. We loaded up one whole side, both stock and aftermarket, and the wave was massive. I wish we had more time to play with it but we were simply testing it. The best I can describe it as very tall. It probably could have used a bit more weight in the front but at one point it looked as if 3 people could surf it at the same time. Incredible wave and boat.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-17-2012, 7:56 AM Reply   
I saw one up close at the Surf Expo, along with the G25. I would love to see pics and video of the wake, those beasts have GOT to make a decent surf wake, they are monstrous and both ugly and beautiful at the same time, which I think you understand when you see them. Fit and finish seems top notch, beautiful boats.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-17-2012, 7:56 AM Reply   
Thanks for the review Muskoka!
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-17-2012, 9:29 AM Reply   
I believe a G23 pulled the Minnesota surf contest. I am sure there is video of that.
Old     (MuskokaJ)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-17-2012, 12:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22vdrive View Post
Any pictures or video?
Unfortunately no. I wasn't really prepared for the demo, it was a last-minute thing, and I wasn't really expecting much of a wake. I can't wait to get the opportunity to surf behind one of these again, and potentially with additional ballast.
Old     (MuskokaJ)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-17-2012, 12:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragboy View Post
I saw one up close at the Surf Expo, along with the G25. I would love to see pics and video of the wake, those beasts have GOT to make a decent surf wake, they are monstrous and both ugly and beautiful at the same time, which I think you understand when you see them. Fit and finish seems top notch, beautiful boats.
I agree about the "both ugly and beautiful at the same time". That's a good way of putting it.

According to the dealer I was speaking with, they feel that the G23 produces a better surf wake than the G25, claiming that the G25 requires an enormous amount of ballast to get the ideal surf wake. Of course, this is just what one dealer said, and the boat is so new that surely there are people out there that will start dialing/tweeking/adjusting.
Old     (MuskokaJ)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-17-2012, 12:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakedaveup View Post
Great write up Muskoka. The new G's actually have 2 bimini options just in case you don't like the lower of the two.
Interesting. The dealer I visited didn't let me know about that. Any pics of the higher bimini?
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       09-17-2012, 12:34 PM Reply   
Actually if you look through the boat threads I have a whole thread on the G25. It's called "sneek peak" and there are pics of the bimini in that thread. I'll see if I can find some more. Too add to the thread as well, I have seen the surf wake on both the 25 and 23. They are very comparable but I feel you get the best performance/package out of the 23. Just my opinion having been in both and ridden both.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       09-17-2012, 12:42 PM Reply   
Unfortunately I don't have pics of the bimini unfolded but here are a few pics of how it is mounted. Basically you pull off the cover and two wings fold out at a downward slant. So you also get some side coverage.
Attached Images

Old     (geistwatersportscom)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-17-2012, 1:17 PM Reply   
Video of Surfing on Starboard and Port on the G23. Had about 400 to 500lbs extra in the back locker plus stock. 7 people on boat scattered around. Middle tank probabaly about 500lbs. On this video there is footage on the g23 and on a 2008 nautique 230 with 1100lbs in back locker and 400lbs in pop bags back there under the back seat. The G23 shots are on the boat with red and gray in the color scheme of the boat sometimes on the go pro you can see it real easy other times you can't. The grey white and black boat is the 230 Nautique. The starboard rider is Tommy Czeschin and the port Rider is Doaum Legace. If you don't know who they are prepare to be impressed. I feel that the g23 surf wave is awesome, so is the 230 Nautique, both of these boats put out a nice port and starboard wave. I have not been on an RZ2 before. I think the g23 surf wave is better then the 230.....probably not 65k better haha

Old     (geistwatersportscom)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-17-2012, 1:18 PM Reply   
at 2min 48sec great g23 starboard wake shot.....at 4min great port side g23 shot. all on go pro
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-17-2012, 1:55 PM Reply   
It looks like on the regular side it has that flat top, double lip thing going on like on a Sanger 230 or on our Z3 at lower taps positions. Is it the same on goofy? Is that the same across the wake plate adjustment? It looks it is more pronounced on regular, but it could just be the wash on the goofy side, or Tommy like a different setting.

Sure is a BIG boat!
Old     (geistwatersportscom)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-17-2012, 2:04 PM Reply   
the settings with from 1 to 5 and for both sides we had it at "3" Now at the same time people were moving all over the place in the boat we had people filming from my boat chase style, there was other lake traffic on a nice friday afternoon/evening. I feel that the starboard wave is just a little bit better on the 230 and the g23 but again I mostly wakeboard. My skill is level is limited on the surf board I can do surface 3's on starboard and port side, body virals and ride both sides Heelside/toeside about the same....... and that's about it. Wakeboard wake with stock ballast is incredible.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-17-2012, 2:47 PM Reply   
Yes, I have heard nothing but immense praise for the wakeboard wake.
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-17-2012, 6:36 PM Reply   
Doum is such a badass on the surfboard. Geez!!!
Old     (MuskokaJ)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-18-2012, 7:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakedaveup View Post
Unfortunately I don't have pics of the bimini unfolded but here are a few pics of how it is mounted. Basically you pull off the cover and two wings fold out at a downward slant. So you also get some side coverage.
Thanks for these pics D Ave. I assume based on that bimini design that you cannot mount surf boards on top (like the lower bimini)?
Old     (PauleyG)      Join Date: Dec 2012       12-05-2012, 5:22 PM Reply   
Curious why your selling if it sports a great wake..I demo'd one with stock ballast and was totally disappointed. Short high wake no length or push.
Regular side down here in fla.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       12-05-2012, 9:01 PM Reply   
LOL i think nautique forgot something on this boat.... let see if anyone else can spy it..
Old     (geistwatersportscom)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-06-2012, 3:10 AM Reply   
Whoa! No G23 emblem!
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-06-2012, 4:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauleyG View Post
Curious why your selling if it sports a great wake..I demo'd one with stock ballast and was totally disappointed. Short high wake no length or push.
Regular side down here in fla.
Only reason I'm selling it is to move into another new one....I've got a good relationship with the local dealer here.
Old     (SimonSez)      Join Date: Nov 2012       12-06-2012, 6:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironj32 View Post
Only reason I'm selling it is to move into another new one....I've got a good relationship with the local dealer here.
Is your new G ordered yet?
Old     (PauleyG)      Join Date: Dec 2012       12-06-2012, 10:11 AM Reply   
Not yet. Still not excited bout the wake for surfing. Love the boat but not the wake. Gonna demo a mb w surf gate, tige and Enzo first.
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       12-06-2012, 12:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
I currently own a Tige RZ2, which throws a really solid surf wake and meets our needs quite well, but I'm always interested in new product.
muskokaj, private message sent
Old     (MIKEnNC)      Join Date: Nov 2012       12-06-2012, 12:53 PM Reply   
feel like an idiot, dont know how to quote right as evidenced by my above post
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       12-10-2012, 2:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauleyG View Post
Not yet. Still not excited bout the wake for surfing. Love the boat but not the wake. Gonna demo a mb w surf gate, tige and Enzo first.
if you demo my MB...you will swear it has something like a surf gate but it's just a great transom shape (deep V) and throws massive clean on both sides with all of the ballast hidden and automated
Old     (aiggy33)      Join Date: Jan 2012       01-18-2013, 6:36 AM Reply   
There were several mentions of our event and some people wanted to see a video of the G23 in action - Here you go -

from our website, www.10KLakesOpen.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN3j_...layer_embedded

Make sure to come and ride this year - August 16-17 in Minneapolis, MN

Wiggy
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-18-2014, 10:38 AM Reply   
My buddy bought a 2014 G23, how are people weighting them?
Old     (suit226)      Join Date: Mar 2014       03-18-2014, 3:37 PM Reply   
I love the look of this boat! I think the functionality of it is amazing! We should be getting ours the first week of may. Ordered it about a month or so ago. I would like to know what is the best way to weight this boat for surfing? how much in the rear locker and how much in the middle along with how the surf tabs should be? Any input would help.
Old     (LeeG23)      Join Date: Feb 2013       03-19-2014, 6:06 PM Reply   
I have g23. Fill all tanks 100% full if u have nss. The adjust nss as needed depending on how many people in boat and fuel. It's literally that simple
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-19-2014, 7:14 PM Reply   
Some of the videos the wave looks great, some it looks crappy. I wanted to know how they weight the great waves.
Old     (suit226)      Join Date: Mar 2014       03-19-2014, 7:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeG23 View Post
I have g23. Fill all tanks 100% full if u have nss. The adjust nss as needed depending on how many people in boat and fuel. It's literally that simple
Really!? That's all? Ok cool. Do you own one? Thanks for the help
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-20-2014, 1:16 PM Reply   
The Nautique guys posted this last summer after pulling a contest with a G23:

Quote:
We used NSS, and allowed people to make adjustments if they wanted.
Ballast:
750's in rear locker
we used factory ballast only from there, and 6 people in the boat. we leaned the boat with the factory ballast, and depending on skim or surf peole were placed in different spots.

port wave - full port, 3/8 STB, 7/8 belly
stb wave - 7/8 belly, 3/4 stb, 1/4 port

always had either 1 or 2 people in bow, driver and at least one on center bench; but like I said, 6 people always in boat. Wave was a hit for 95% of people. During the practice Dom landed a 540 big spin, and Chris Wolter said it was the best wave he has ever surfed.

We were always between 10.9 and 11.3 MPH
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-21-2014, 8:02 AM Reply   
The wake surf Nationals was held in late August at Callaway GArdens, GA. The G23 was the tow boat. The factory guys were there to help sort out the wake and weight. It is my understanding that the boat was weighted evenly and the NSS switched it from side to side. They used the same boat for both regular and goofy riding with only one small glitch. The boat had an extra 800 lbs of lead in it I think and mainly in the front. I both competed and was a judge for the event and therefor saw and rtode the wake. The wake was good and solid and pretty long. There was a small secondary lip.
Old     (LeeG23)      Join Date: Feb 2013       03-22-2014, 3:53 PM Reply   
Yes I do own one. I always have mine evenly weighted. It works very very well
Old     (MuskokaJ)      Join Date: Sep 2010       03-22-2014, 7:38 PM Reply   
After starting this thread initially, I bought a G23 last spring. Gotta say it was our most enjoyable season yet. This boat is so simple to set-up, and to swap from side-to-side. As for setting up the wake, one of the cool things about the G23 with NSS is the flexibility to customize to your preference. Longer pockets, steeper faces, etc. There are probably about 4 different set-ups that we like, depending on the board, your style, your weight, etc. And the changes are all super easy. When you want the flexibility to swap from side-to-side at the touch of the switch, you evenly weight both sides (full), and have belly at about 7/8. For a more comp style wake, you more heavily weight the one side. We also love that the G23 doesn't require a crazy gangster lean to get a killer wave. This keeps the safety factor up, and allows my wife to drive the boat with confidence. Great boat.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-23-2014, 9:40 PM Reply   
Awesome it's great to hear about your experience with your new boat maybe you can show us some video of your favorite wave setup!