Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (ivectoryou)      Join Date: May 2007       07-10-2008, 9:20 AM Reply   
Upload
Upload

For anyone who wants to build a set, I purchased all of the supplies at Home Depot. I spend a few extra bucks on the vertical piece and went with rubber pipe insulation. The elbows and T's have a self-stick edge, which allows you to seal them up.

The brackets are height-adjustable and can the lower part can be spun 90 degrees from the top if that is better for your installation. They come with the needed wood screws.

I love that these racks are up high and out of the way and even better is the fact that we can access them while standing in the boat. I put them back behind the boat to avoid any head bumping.

That old-school Byerly board and boot set-up came with the boat, but I still expect to get some sh*t for that. <grin> Can anyone tell me about that Byerly board? Is it still a good board? I know the boots must suck compared to what they have now.

Lastly, the racks will also hold the boards flat (boots up or boots down). This is just how I decided to rest them in there.
Old     (jtd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-10-2008, 9:29 AM Reply   
Very cool. I have to do that, our garage is a freakin mess! I don't like storing my boards in there with my roomates crap strewn about but this would be cool. How much did it cost and what exactly are all the parts you need?
Old     (live4water)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-10-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
yeah thats a real good idea..might do that with mine..can we get an idea on cost
Old     (ivectoryou)      Join Date: May 2007       07-10-2008, 9:42 AM Reply   
Everything is at Home Depot.

The racks are $8.92 each (you need two for two boards, so that's obviously $17.84).

The other parts are as follows:

3/4" pipe insulation Elbow (measures 7/8" i.d. to fit over 3/4" pipe) = $1.59 each.

Same as above "Tee" = $1.99 each.

I length (either 6 or 8 ft.) rubber pipe insulation = $7.89. You can get the same thing in foam (matches the elbows and tees) for under $3.00. This length will be enough to make two racks (holds 4 boards) with plenty of extra.

Total for one rack (two boards) using all foam would be: $30.97.
Old     (lavinder)      Join Date: Mar 2008 Location: Gig Harbor, WA       07-10-2008, 5:29 PM Reply   
Be careful with the foam option when it gets hot, it gets sticky.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-10-2008, 7:57 PM Reply   
The first forks we bought were horrible, they slipped downward, dropped out boards, and almost hit someone in the back of the head with a board. we made good use of it.

Upload
Old     (addicted)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-10-2008, 9:28 PM Reply   
Very nicely done.

I sleep with my board when I'm not riding because I don't have a garage to store it in
Old     (jtd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-11-2008, 7:27 AM Reply   
I like your idea brandon! My board will be safe and I wont have to spend a cent :-)
Old     (billy2603)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-11-2008, 8:39 AM Reply   
you can take some sh*t for the bindings on the old Byerly, but not the board! I love that board and still use it.

Oh, and nice racks. I assume you screwed into beams in the ceiling?
Old     (blastmaster)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-11-2008, 9:34 AM Reply   
I would have made the extension arms longer so the board would sit flat. then the bottom board could be put in bindings down allowing them to be raised a bunch or lowered for another board to sit on top binding up. 1 rack= 4 baords if needed.
Very nicely done though. No disrespcet intended in my suggestion. I would have likely made the same mistake on first try.
Old     (future)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-12-2008, 11:24 AM Reply   
My favorite part of the garage is the Oregon sticker on the door. Go Ducks!
Old     (rideit4life)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-12-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
The boardracks look bad ass!
Old     (ivectoryou)      Join Date: May 2007       07-12-2008, 5:51 PM Reply   
Billy, I was looking for feedback on that board because I didn't know if it was a good one or not. Anything you can tell me about it would be appreciated.

Blastmaster, Good suggestion. FYI the racks arms come with the rack and are therefore the length they are. However, I put the boards in boots up and boots down (in addition to the way they are in the pic) and it looked great and worked all three ways. When flat, the boards do hang over the ends an inch or two, but they are still completely stable.

Future, season ticket holder. Was section 27, now 14. Go Ducks!

Rideit4life, thanks!

Dan
Old     (ivectoryou)      Join Date: May 2007       07-12-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
Billy, yes, I mounted screwed the upper part of the brackets in the attic joists.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-13-2008, 5:10 PM Reply   
They look awesome, but either you have tons of time on your hands, or you simply have much better taste in decorating than me :-) I just picked up some bicycle hooks, used a stud finder and voila...

Upload Upload