Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Other Water Sports

Old     (coleebear80)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-22-2005, 9:11 PM Reply   
I was just wonderin if anybody could tell me what size surfboard I should buy? Obviously, I am a beginner / 5' 00" (yeah, I'm a shorty) / 110 lbs / not too strong of a paddler yet--Any suggestions would be great. Thanks ;-)
Old                05-13-2005, 11:05 PM Reply   
Depends on the break youre at. If you can get to a reef break the peels easy get a wide 7 to 9 foot board. It works good at spots where you can pandle around the impact zone, if there is one. Minuses are its alot to carry around and everything you do is in slow motion. A short board is easier at a beach break but you need to be quick at everyhing,getting up positioning and learning to drive the board. If you are buy a new board I would have you get a 6'2" to 5'10" 20"wide, 13 7/8"squash tail. Why because you won't poke youre eyes out it, its not so wide in the tail so it won't take of like a rocket and you should be able to surf most spots with it. Good luck, paddle hard and be patient before you jump to your feet!
Old     (wrgodsend)      Join Date: May 2005       08-13-2005, 1:35 PM Reply   
Nikki, my suggestion is to get a longboard. Learn the basics on this first and once you become proficient at it, then go to a shortboard. I think you should get a 9'0"-9'6" longboard with three fins. A tri-fin will turn much easier and quicker than a single fin. With a single fin, you will have to "stomp" on it harder to turn it, especially since you only weigh 110. Make sure it's not so wide that you can't put it under your arm.
I suggest you go a local longboard shop and talk to the guys there. They will point in the right direction and to the right beach.
Here are a few websites to checkout:

www.infinitysurf.com
www.stewartsurfboards.com
www.mctavish.com.au (this company is not just in austrailia)

Oh...don't buy an old board from your brother's best friend's cousin because it's cheap. Do it right and get something that's going to fit your needs. You'll learn much quicker because of it.