Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-20-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
This may have been discussed already but I couldn't find anything from searching.

I ran across this from another site.

http://creakyrowboat.blogspot.com/2008/03/h20-extreme.html

Given it looks to be pretty cheesy and most likely straight to video, but it's the first time I've seen wakeboarding featured in a movie.

Anyone have any idea of who the riders are that are in it?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-20-2008, 11:49 AM Reply   
Can't wait for all the hard-cores opinions..... nice find
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-20-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
Haha he's a sconnie!
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-20-2008, 12:12 PM Reply   
I agree that is might be a little cheesy, but judging from the trailer, it might be a useful wake-up call for some of the overbearing parents out there who are pushing their kids into 'sport A' when their kid actually wants to do 'sport B' or even 'ballet'. Anyone know who the actor is, and if they use a 'stunt double' for the wake scenes...heck..I'd be proud to be that rider, he was a heck of a lot better than me.
Old     (lfwrider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-20-2008, 1:49 PM Reply   
Was that Parks in the last scene?
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-20-2008, 1:54 PM Reply   
Should be interesting to see how this thread goes... I know of some of the guys that are the riders in this vid. I love that they are wearing barefoot suits to "ski" :-)
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-20-2008, 2:10 PM Reply   
Dude I laughed out loud when I saw this!!!

JB, why you gotta be name dropping like that? Do you think it makes you cool?

Just kidding, GO PETE!!!
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-20-2008, 2:11 PM Reply   
How can one resist?! What we do for money right???
Old     (02ssv)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-20-2008, 2:28 PM Reply   
Ill watch it's got Bo Duke in the movie.

(Message edited by 02ssv on March 20, 2008)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-20-2008, 3:32 PM Reply   
Wop Wop, Its Wisconsin!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-20-2008, 3:44 PM Reply   
wow
Old     (slaysher)      Join Date: Jun 2006       03-20-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
i personally like the raley :-) damn that's hot.
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-20-2008, 4:48 PM Reply   
oh man. they kinda made wakeboarding look lame. i hate how they called it "skiing" and how they wore full suits.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-20-2008, 5:00 PM Reply   
I heart the switch back off the jump.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-20-2008, 6:58 PM Reply   
HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

whewwww.

BAHHHAHHAAHAHHAHHAHA! Perfect example of what would happen if there were no style in wakeboarding.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-21-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
Perfect example if there were no style in wakeboarding? What do you mean?
Old     (hart_keene)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-22-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
I liked it better when it was called "Airborne". But at least this doesnt have any rollerblading in it.

I try to pass on anything with the word "extreme" in it...
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-22-2008, 2:46 PM Reply   
looks like it could be cool... It's definitely a good thing for our sport.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-22-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
A-Dub did you see any evidence of style in any aspect at all? he did some tricks that take skill but he didn't grab anything and he looked like a scarecrow strapped to a board. the Toe off 3 was pretty cool. cool spring suit
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-22-2008, 6:24 PM Reply   
ehhh i wont go watch it but i consider it good for the sport in the sense that its exposure
Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-22-2008, 10:02 PM Reply   
looks better than that "In the Wake" movie Monroe Mann was pushing a few years back
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-22-2008, 10:05 PM Reply   
no such thing as bad exposure
Old     (getyourboardon)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-27-2008, 2:33 PM Reply   
looks cool to me. probably not going to win any oscars but hell, at least we are getting some exposure.
Old     (wake402)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-27-2008, 2:40 PM Reply   
I would watch it for the sole reason of Rider Strong being in it... its good to see him doing something since boy meets world.
Old     (yorwakebordfrend)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-27-2008, 4:23 PM Reply   
rental haha
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-27-2008, 7:12 PM Reply   
The Blond in the beginning is my buddies x.

She use to wakeboard a lot in Wilmington! I heard she was in Dukes of Hazards.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-27-2008, 9:02 PM Reply   
Anyone else notice John Schieder in there. He's the guy who offers the job in the ski show. He was Bo Duke in the original Dukes of Hazard. Used to watch re-runs when I was a kid.
Old     (wakegenie)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-28-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
Dave Briscoe is in it too...thats pretty cool
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-09-2008, 3:50 AM Reply   
It is a movie that has wakeboarding in it, not a wakeboarding movie. There are lots of vids about wakeboarding but I don't think any of them will hit the silver screen. You need more than 5500 people to be successful.

How come you just knew that most all the responses would be just what was posted. I bet everyone of you would have been in the movie had the producer called and said "Dude, we are making a major motion picture and we want you to be a wakeboarder in some of the scenes."

Is it a "must see" movie? I doubt it. But all you critics out there give it a rest. Try to find some good in things instead of always being a bunch of posers.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-09-2008, 5:29 AM Reply   
"Is it a "must see" movie? I doubt it. But all you critics out there give it a rest. Try to find some good in things instead of always being a bunch of posers."

-Unnecessary
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-09-2008, 6:24 AM Reply   
Roger, I had no idea what you were trying to say, and why you were saying it, but Andy pretty much just summed up everything that I was thinking about saying.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-09-2008, 7:07 AM Reply   
I agree w/ Roger's post. Since joining this site, I've noticed alot of negativity. If you think the movie is ridiculous, there's a simple solution, don't watch it.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-09-2008, 7:34 AM Reply   
I'm going to have to say that comments on the lack of "style" that the riders have in the movie are perfectly legitimate. Since when can't people make comments on what they think the movie is going to be like?
Old     (getyourboardon)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-09-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
why not just enjoy the fact that our sport is getting some play. We could all whine about how there is no style (they are show skiers not pro riders, they go for quick flips and as many tricks as possible) and just give it some support. The more we get into the main stream of America the better, it cant hurt us so just take it for what it is.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-09-2008, 8:22 AM Reply   
I think Roger's post, although out of nowhere, is not really unnecessary, but probably out of frustration. It is beginning to seem that, no matter the post or what is really being said, there are some individuals who have to whine and pick at it. This usually refers to style, coolness, something not being to their liking, which yes, this is an open forum, but it's getting old. I am being very contradicting by even posting this, because it is my opinion, but the style police, the "I think that's gay" comments, the multitude of smiley faces depicting attitude, is all getting old, and seems to even be losing it's point. Seriously, I check this website way too often, and lately it has been these few people saying the same thing on each thread, and they won't even listen to others or have a constructive convo. I frequent the site because it provides all with a great deal of information, usually earlier than anything else. Bashing and picking at people's posts, whether it be your opinion or not, is going to veer people from posting info and links that whether you like it or not, you click and read, and become informed.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-09-2008, 9:06 AM Reply   
I have no problem with wakeboarding in the movie, I mean it's wakeboarding, whether really smooth or really technical looking. I'm just saying that the points that they were making were actually legitimate.

Man, I don't think you guys could survive longer than thirty seconds reading the IMDB message boards.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-09-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
Ouch Roger . It does look absolutely rediculous, thaat doesn't mean I wouldn't go see it. I dont consider myself to be on "the style police", I'm just pointing out what makes the rider look goofy. He throws some difficult stuff that I personally cannot do, but he looks funny and akward doing it. You have to have more than just difficult tricks to have people that enjoy watching you ride. I assume and or hope for the sake of our sport the rider atleast protested a little bit whe he read the skript, but I'll never know, what I do know is what I see and what I see looks funny. It would be good for our sport, anything to get people to stop thinking the only tricks possible on a wakeboard are surface tricks. I dont want the movie to get to the mainstream and have everyone say neon fullsuits are gay, thus, by the transitive property, wakeboarding is gay, further more all wakeboarders are gay.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-09-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
Wow, you seriously think that? Hope that doesn't keep you up at night. I bet if you heard it was the next upcoming grom, or old footage of Rusty you would change your tune. Again, this is just getting old, you say the same thing over and over and over. Cool, you don't like the way it looks.... I'm gonna stop there. I just wouldn't worry so much about how the sport is viewed by those that don't matter.
Old     (veritas)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-09-2008, 12:43 PM Reply   
Excellent point A-dub. All that matters is everyone here likes to board, and maybe this movie will get a few more people into the sport. If some people think wakeboarders are gay because the rider in the movie has no style, or whatever, who cares? Those are the kinds of people I personally would not want in the sport anyway.

I'd much prefer the people that say, "Hey, that guy looks stupid but maybe that would be fun?"

Wakeboarding, while about skill and abilities and practice, is most importantly about fun. If you don't have fun, why waste your time? And furthermore, why waste your time worrying about what other people think?

If you think the movie looks dumb, okay. I do too. I might watch it anyway just for a laugh.
Old     (getyourboardon)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-09-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
If you were to apply the transitive property to
Fullsuits = Gay
thus wakeboarding = gay
all wakeboarders = gay

it would also state that
fullsuits = wakeboading
Wakboarders = fullsuits
all wakeboarders = wakboarding

I belive you may be looking for a different property.

also as to my previous point about show ski shows and wakeboarding, these guys do not have chase boats and helicopters video taping them, so no it wont be a 30 min set with alot of style, they will throw 3 inverts and a few spins in 15 seconds. maybe not the style some of you guys are looking for, but show skiing gets by far the most people from out side of our industry to come and watch.
We may like style but as show ski shows have shown time and again, the general public does not care. They like flips. And so, movies that want the general public to watch will show just that. Inverts off the ramp (like the sick switch back) and flips and barefooting and all of that, because that is what people like to see. Open your eyes our industry is tiny in the big picture, we dont mean a thing to them. and for once they are showing our sport...

/rant over
Old     (wakecrzy2000)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-09-2008, 2:27 PM Reply   
maybe this will lead to a new wakeboard game :-)
Old     (ryanjones)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-09-2008, 6:50 PM Reply   
Whatever... I was in this movie and I had a great time filming it... Let me just touch on the wet suit thing... You don't tell a producer/director how to do his job... Plus, this movie is about more then just wakeboarding... It is about Pro Show Skiing also... Show skiing you have to move from one part of the show to the next fast... Most of the time you don't have time to take off your wet suit... You have to ride with a wet suit...
The writer of the movie was just showing it how it really happens... And to all of the style critics... This is just the movie preview. There is a lot more wakeboarding in this movie...
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-09-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
"Hey, that guy looks stupid but maybe that would be fun?"

touche.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-09-2008, 7:04 PM Reply   
Ryan, i'm sure thats one more movie than most of the people on this site (excluding pros/amateurs in wake videos) have been in. congrats. I've seen a show team practice on a private lake in front of an audience. They'd do their run to the end of the lake, get out and haul arse back to the beginning...running behind the audience...and get ready to do a barefoot dock start or be the base of a pyramid or something. Pretty impressive.
Old     (veritas)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-09-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
lol thanks Trevor.

So Ryan, theres more than just a few quick clips of wakeboarding in the film? If thats the case I'll probably rent it...if the plots even semi-decent then it def shouldn't put me to sleep or anything. And it'd be cool to see a few people from WW in a movie!
Old     (tigerblp)      Join Date: Oct 2002       04-09-2008, 9:23 PM Reply   
while i'm personally devastated that waterskiing is in this movie too... and no offense, but we all know no one cares about waterskiing anymore... its a dieing sport, i think it's awesome wakeboarding's being shown in a major movie. i think i this is like the 2nd or 3rd one I know of thats gone into production in the last year. so SICK.

and on a side note, which I'm sure you guys dont know because youre GUYS... that lead actor used to be Marissa's boyfriend on The OC.. He's hot. And one of those other guys... wasnt he on Boy Meets World as corey's best friend?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-10-2008, 7:12 AM Reply   
Barrett plenty of people still care about waterskiing..... even show skiing... sorry to break it to you, there's more than just wakeboarding. Still don't get why people think that way or have that attitude.

Ryan congrats on the film, I actually appreciate them making it as realistic to being at Cypress or Sea World as possible. I know a few people who are actually from Wisco, who moved down the FLA to show ski, didn't play hockey though.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-10-2008, 8:12 AM Reply   
Waterskiing is definitely still popular, but mostly with just the older and younger crowds. Kids tend to drop waterskiing for wakeboarding though. They see those guys on the one big board doing flips and go "oooh, I wanna do that!" or at least, that's how I was...

I would like to see this movie, just for the fact that I watch a lot of lower budget movies because they're usually at least semi-enjoyable and a way to kill time, but I don't think I ever will...
Old     (veritas)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-10-2008, 1:13 PM Reply   
While waterskiing is, comparably lame, it's still fun. If it's real rough out sometimes I'll break out the two skiis and see what I can get for air. And slalom skiing is always fun...always makes for entertaining falls if you got someone taking video too!

Besides...I can do inverts on a slalom ski when I wipe out... ;) Sometimes even 5+ in one fall hahaha
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-14-2008, 5:33 PM Reply   
anyone that says that guy doesnt have style is full of it. everyone has style whether you are a beginner, a pro, or phillip soven (thats a joke i love phillip's style)

you dont need to grab to have style. your style is the way you perform the move. granted the guy has a style that i would not prefer, but general people that dont know about wakeboarding usually dont appreciate grabs anyways. they want to see raleys, flips, and spins. so i think the guy that made the film was pretty smart to not only consider wakeboarders, but a general audience.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-14-2008, 6:07 PM Reply   
I sold my style on Ebay!
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-14-2008, 7:16 PM Reply   
I must have been in a snit that morning. Did you notice how early it was? 5 am my time. No, I wasn't up all night. Sorry- I gues I was being over sensative to some critics.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-14-2008, 9:10 PM Reply   
I didn't see a big bs180 into the flats, so this movie has no style!

Kidding, I would go see this anyday...more popularity for the W sports, right?
Old     (veritas)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-15-2008, 7:33 AM Reply   
Damn right garret!
Old     (owc)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-16-2008, 10:35 AM Reply   
On the topics of wakeboarding in movies...did you guys know that they did filming for the new movie Never Back Down at OWC?
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-16-2008, 12:33 PM Reply   
Wow, this thread is still alive? Really, I didn't want start a style vs. no style debate I just assumed that someone on WW would know some of the riders and we could congratulate some of our own on being able to ride on the big screen.

To that end, nice job Ryan looks like it was a lot of fun and a whole lot better than my day at work. How did you get recruited by the way?
Old    K.B.C.            04-16-2008, 12:44 PM Reply   
comedy, that is great. good find