Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (panda)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-24-2012, 2:51 AM Reply   
Hey all

Right now I have the 2011 Response and I am happy about it, rides well and all. Just having a little trouble doing nosepresses, but I guess that is more my technique than the board? Anyway my Response is close to dying from riding it on concrete and stuff so..

Which Slingshot board would fit my use the best? I primarily ride cable and winch, but also want to start to take a few boat sets soon. I prefer rail riding, and would like to improve on pressing. Also I would like to be able to get a little more grip than the response so I can go bigger on kicker.

So I assume I need something with channels; Hooke, Kine, Newton or Whip.. Which one would be the eassiest to do Nosepresses and such tweaks on?

Last edited by panda; 05-24-2012 at 3:00 AM.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-24-2012, 5:50 AM Reply   
All the boards you listed are ballistics and not the ideal flex pattern for "nosepresses".... although they can still be pressed well if used appropriately.

IMO the Response is the best rail board in the lineup. Super flexy and lightning fast. The Reflex is a good in between for both rails and boat because it still flexes well but has a wider tip and tail for more bite. Its kinda slow for my taste tho.

I ride a Kine for boat and have had it on rails before but I like the Response WAY better... Kine feels to stiff to press (for me )

Pretty much every board in the line up can be used across each aspect of the sport so just go to a local demo day or something and see which one feels best.

Happy Slingshotting!!!
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-24-2012, 7:44 AM Reply   
Check out the shredtown!
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-24-2012, 9:56 AM Reply   
From my experience, they could all be used interchangeably. I bought both response and a recoil with the intent of response for cable and recoil for wake. To be honest, I find myself taking the response more often than not for my boat sets. If you want some more grip you could put recoil fins on the response for boat, but IMO it rides great out of the box.

The differences in the line are pretty subtle.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-24-2012, 10:28 AM Reply   
The Whip or Newton
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       05-25-2012, 2:15 PM Reply   
if your just looking to get some dirty presses, i would say look for an older slingshot recoil/response, i feel like all of the 2012 boards are much stiffer than previous years
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-26-2012, 4:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilboarder12 View Post
if your just looking to get some dirty presses, i would say look for an older slingshot recoil/response, i feel like all of the 2012 boards are much stiffer than previous years
True that, but I'd be wary of the older stuff because it isn't as well made. My 2012 Recoil is stiffer and heavier than my 2010 Recoil was, but it's worth it because it holds up to abuse a lot better. And as Dustin said, almost all Slingshots could be used interchangeably. If I were you, I'd stick with the Response/Reflex/Recoil, depending on what rocker line you're looking for. The ballistic boards will probably be a little too stiff for your liking.

You really don't need much grip to rail into a big kicker hit at the cable. Slingshots have a super sharp rail that can really hold a line if you just use proper edge technique. If you want more grip, you can tune the rail with a sander. If you don't wanna mess with that, just try riding it with the fins on. You could try the ballistics if you're willing to sacrifice a little pressability for the added grip of the channels. The Newton is most similar to the Response, so you might wanna start there.

Last edited by TheHebrewHammer; 05-26-2012 at 4:13 AM.
Old     (BigTEX)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-27-2012, 9:40 PM Reply   
Not sure what you mean by "not as well made", my 2010 reflex has had at least one cable day per week and is still going strong. The 2011's had fast track issues but other than that, all their boards have been bulletproof.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-27-2012, 9:55 PM Reply   
i think where he was going was that 2011 and beyond are all wood boards with urethane sidewalls, fast track issues aside the boards are still bulletproof.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-28-2012, 5:02 AM Reply   
Yes, that new sidewall on my 2012 Recoil is holding up very well. My 2010 delaminated fairly quickly. The 2010 also developed a crack just inside of the boot that would have eventually split the board in half. It was softer and flimsier, and it didn't last long.
Old     (snoopy1173)      Join Date: May 2010       05-28-2012, 6:49 AM Reply   
2009 recoil was my favoriteboard ever, boat, cable, winching.....the do it all board
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-28-2012, 8:13 AM Reply   
I have my 09 still, I refuse to get of it!
Old     (BigTEX)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-28-2012, 8:53 AM Reply   
I guess its personal preference, but after riding several of the new decks I ended up preferring the softer flex. Then again I hardly ride boat. And to the inside crack comment.... those types of cracks are normally produced from user error
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-28-2012, 10:14 AM Reply   
Yes. In my case, the "user error" was using 2-bolt boots on a 4-bolt board. Wouldn't really call that an "error" though. I knew the risks and I did it on purpose.
Old     (BigTEX)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-28-2012, 2:21 PM Reply   
Cwb AA's on the Reflex ( 2 Bolt) , splits like that are generally from casing the wake...I know because I've done it. Any board will split from that, doesn't mean the board is any less durable. That' s the only point I'm making. Slingshot stands by their products and thats what should be taken away from this.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       05-28-2012, 2:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTEX View Post
Cwb AA's on the Reflex ( 2 Bolt) , splits like that are generally from casing the wake...I know because I've done it. Any board will split from that, doesn't mean the board is any less durable. That' s the only point I'm making. Slingshot stands by their products and thats what should be taken away from this.
Gonna have to disagree with you there. No problem with the new one and never seen it happen to any of my students or buddies. But ya, Slingshot's warranty guys are as helpful as they come.
Old     (BigTEX)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-28-2012, 3:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
Gonna have to disagree with you there. No problem with the new one and never seen it happen to any of my students or buddies. But ya, Slingshot's warranty guys are as helpful as they come.
To each his own
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-28-2012, 4:05 PM Reply   
I really haven't seen many boards as durable as a slingshot. I rarely land on the wake, always in the flats and neither my 09 Recoil or my 12 Lyman show any signs of cracks or loss of durability. Then again I was using a 4 hole mount Slingshot boot(D3) on the Recoil and 12 RADs on the Lyman.
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       05-29-2012, 10:45 AM Reply   
09 Recoil FTW! been beating the heck out of mine for the last 3 years on boat/cable obstacles/homemade rails and it keeps coming back for more.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-29-2012, 2:50 PM Reply   
Again, try the Whip. Problems with nose presses aren't really going to be the board.....
Old     (ilboarder12)      Join Date: May 2009       05-29-2012, 3:47 PM Reply   
ha totally right a-dub...although if the board doesn't flex much or at all wouldn't it be a nose lean then not a nose press?????