Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (closer)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-26-2006, 7:00 AM Reply   
I would like to buy a lakeside house in the USA to use for wakeboarding vacations and maybe later to spend a few months a year.

I have been to the USA quite a few times and love it. I know America is a big place and I have only seen a tiny part. I am hoping that the WW' ers might be able to send me in the right direction to look. Town names would help me search listings.

So my questions are

1. Where would you want to have a lake house and why? weather?people? atmosphere? state taxes etc?

2. Are lake house fairly easy to rent out? if so how much rent could I expect to get?

I suppose I would have a budget of $500,000 dollars. This I know will prohibit me from looking in certain places.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-26-2006, 10:06 AM Reply   
Lake Placid Florida. Lots of lakes, very nice weather, good people, taxes are not too bad. Not sure about renting.
Old     (kevin_lsv23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-26-2006, 12:19 PM Reply   
Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri would be a good fit. There are better wake boarding lakes, but you could get a nice place place there for your budget and not have any problem renting it out. You might consider a house boat as an option as well. It won't go up in value, but it is a lot cheaper and has other pluses as well.
Old     (intotheflats)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-26-2006, 1:44 PM Reply   
i also agree with lake of the ozarks
my family has a house down there and we love it
i can't tell you how the renting goes because we are down there too much to actually rent. but the lake it amazing, never a shortage of anything to do, plenty of restaruants and marinas among other things. the wakeboarding may not be the best but if you get up early enough it is perfect. the only problem i have with the lake is that it gets terribly crowded and rough during the weekends, we tend to not really leave our cove and just mess around by our dock. other than the roughness i don't think there is a better lake.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-26-2006, 2:25 PM Reply   
I would have to say Orlando. Great weather, cable park and a big part of renting out the house would have to be all the theme parks in the area. I've only been there a couple of times but would love to be able to have a place there to visit when I wanted and the whole family would have something to do. Lots of other stuff with only about 1 to 2 hour drive.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-26-2006, 4:02 PM Reply   
I'm assuming you're not a US citizen (info from your profile)...
There's some pretty 'interesting' laws about owning and renting out holiday homes in the US if you're not a citizen. Florida has loads of second home owners who are foreign so it may be easiest to take the well-trodden path and go for FL.
Old     (getsome137)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-26-2006, 11:56 PM Reply   
i dont really know why you guys are saying lake of the ozarks...table rock lake is not very far away from there and is much calmer and less busy...and it would be just about as affordable as lake of the ozarks...i mean i am not trying to sound like i am bashing on your lake, to every man his own, i just think that table rock is better for wakeboarding......i will admit that i have heard that lake of the ozarks is a pretty fun place...
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-27-2006, 6:32 AM Reply   
Lake of the Ozarks is a fun place, if you're into boating related deaths, dirty water, HUGE waves, having your multi million dollar house next to a trailer home, sea walls, rusty beer cans, and mullet clad hippies haulin arse in thier 40+ cig boats blaring 80's music!

(not that I have anything against 80's tunes!)

No but in all seriousness, LOO is a fun place for certain types of fun... I personally don't know how people ride or ski there. The water is almost never smooth, and the lake is largely overpopulated, among other problems... It is a very dangerous lake statistically... I prefer Table Rock, but then again I enjoy clean, smooth water, and the look of a lake that isn't overrun with bars and sea walls...
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-27-2006, 6:50 AM Reply   
http://www.lakefrontflorida.com/
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-27-2006, 7:26 AM Reply   
Table Rock or Bull Shoals.
Old     (closer)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-27-2006, 7:52 AM Reply   
thanks for the information.

Peter, yes you are right I am from the UK although I have lived in spain for fourteen years. Although I have not looked into the legalities of renting and owning outside of Florida, I have seen on real estate listings that certain places are 'zoned rental' For this reason I am thinking that florida is probably the easiest place for me to establish a wakeboard holiday home.

I have done some reading and the area of Claremont, seems to be a really big wakeboarding area with lots of lakes.

Which areas of florida should be avoided for Hurracaines? Strong storms seem to be happening more regularity nowadays.

Also is it easy to rent out a lake house on long term rentals? if so what sort of money would someone pay for a three or four bedroom house on the lakefront?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-27-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
www.placidwaters.com I bit out out of the price range, but you will have a good investment property.
Old     (ballsdeep)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-27-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
Lake Elsinore
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-27-2006, 9:56 AM Reply   
Lake titicaca, AZ.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-27-2006, 10:09 AM Reply   
Clermont is likely out of the price range on the chain.

Your best bet to stay in budget would be a little tiny lake somewhere in the area, but it might be more difficult to rent out.
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-27-2006, 3:20 PM Reply   
How about out west- Lake Entiat on the Columbia river in Eastern Washington. Flat water all of the time, $ 500K gets you a mini mansion and it's very rentable from Memorial day to labor day and even in the winter for snow skiing.
Old    innov8actionsports.com            11-28-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
Texas, Texas, Texas.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-28-2006, 3:23 PM Reply   
Marc, any other criteria? Obviously east coast would be better for travel. Do you want to be near a city or out in the country? What time of year do you normally travel? Would you like proximity to beaches or the mountains or both?
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-29-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
Gotta throw in house boating on Lake Shasta, NOR CAL
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       11-29-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
Cmon! Bay Area Cali Cant be beat! Tahoe 3 hours, Lake Shasta 3.5 hours, Delta 45minutes, Lake Don Pedro, Tulloch, Camanche 1-2 hours, Berryesa, Clear lake 1-2 hours. endless # of more beautiful lakes within 2-3 hour driving time. Best weather all throughout the year.
There is NO comparison!
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-29-2006, 9:37 AM Reply   
mullet clad hippies? thought mullets were for red necks. Dont think a hippie would own a cig boat. more like a sea kayak.
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       11-29-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
Depends where you are on Lake of the Ozarks, it's a big lake. Can't argue that it is overcrowded though.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-29-2006, 2:23 PM Reply   
Lake Powell if you crazy lightning storms at night that are awsome to watch, amazing scenery for about 250 miles i think thats how long the lake is and 105 degree days in the summer
Old     (wakerider23234)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-29-2006, 3:16 PM Reply   
whatever you do dont come around richmond va i cant stand it here.
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-29-2006, 7:17 PM Reply   
Wailua River is the best, Warm water year round and SURF
$500,000 should be enough for a down deposit...
Old     (olddude)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-30-2006, 4:38 AM Reply   
Here in Florida at Stillwater Lakes, private and great warm weather year round.Upload
Old     (wakebums)      Join Date: May 2006       12-07-2006, 2:49 PM Reply   
Tablerock!!!! This lake rocks! You can find a smooth cove almost everyday no matter what time it is! We can even board after dark when we cross into Arkansas. No water patrol there. And the water is super clean, and Its not even as close to being as busy as Lake of the Ozarks.
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       12-07-2006, 4:12 PM Reply   
BEL AQUA, nor cal. close to the mountains, good night life in downtown sac, close to the river & lots of lakes when you wnat to take your show on the road. 9 months of rideable weather. The other 3 are drysuit.
Old     (l7wakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-08-2006, 7:02 AM Reply   
It's all about Minnesota! Lots of really nice lakes, really nice people, beautiful country, and lower cost of living.