Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       09-30-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
Hey just got the 08 catalog and noticed a ton of new boards for this year. Names such as APEX, B-Side, Pulse, Sub, and Tribute are all new.

Just wondering which Hyperlite boards people are looking forward to trying out. Bindings aswell, ( ex. I know the new Byerly's and Murrays appear very similar (both killer) - however Byerly's usually have an extra forward lean.)

Just wondering?
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-30-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
jd's new b-side is gonna be sick!!!
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-30-2007, 1:10 PM Reply   
I'm with Billy...I've been waiting for JD to get a board of his 'own' for a couple of years...a combination of the 3DS and the Premier should make a pretty sweet ride.
Old     (arizonarider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-30-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
I third that, I'm excited to try the B-Side and for JD to finally get a pro model.
Old     (hyperlite_boards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-30-2007, 3:31 PM Reply   
im waitin for the premeir
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-30-2007, 4:11 PM Reply   
ehhh, hyperlite just doesn't excite me much anymore
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-30-2007, 4:41 PM Reply   
if sub6 is any good i'll check it out, otherwise i stay clear of hyperlite
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-30-2007, 4:42 PM Reply   
why call it "B-side" anyone know?
Old     (wkbdboi)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-30-2007, 6:18 PM Reply   
I am stoked about all of the 08 gear, but mainly looking forward to the Tribute. It seems like a great shape!
Old     (chrism4668)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-30-2007, 6:30 PM Reply   
I think the Murray, sub vi are both looking sweet!
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       09-30-2007, 7:58 PM Reply   
I cant wait to try out some of the boards. I knotice that some of the boards look similiar to some of the other brands boards (ex. HL Pulse and logic vs. ronix one and frontier}). ALso the premier looks the same except its slightly thinner - not sure how big of an impact that'll be.

As for bindings, cant wait to try out both Murrays and Byerly's.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2007, 8:20 PM Reply   
i've already got my 08 pulse. its just the 3ds with new graphics.
Old     (arizonarider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-30-2007, 8:47 PM Reply   
The Premier is the same shape, but minus the ABS sidewall. So it will be way lighter.
Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-30-2007, 9:35 PM Reply   
the tibute schwenne's new board it's gonna be sick
Old    murrayair            09-30-2007, 9:44 PM Reply   
I would like to try the new Murray, but I'm so happy with my 07 Murray I can't imagine getting anything else for a while. It will be interesting to see what Shaun's board will feel like as a 3 stage.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-01-2007, 4:46 AM Reply   
I am getting the 08 Murray 140 with white boots hopefully soon. they are saying mid to late October...so we'll see. i am doing my best to extend my riding season here in Michigan. as long as the temps stay somewhat up I will get a couple runs on it and report back. A drysuit might be in order though...another extra 300 to 400 bucks...
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-01-2007, 12:28 PM Reply   
Seems more and more people are switching to three-stage... or at least away from plain continuous in some way or another. Such as Murray's board
Old     (waketrix101)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-01-2007, 6:02 PM Reply   
b-side b-side b-side b-side B-SIDE!
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-04-2007, 11:23 AM Reply   
Just saw all of it. The Byerly Monarch is sick. The Tribute and B-Side are sick. Everything else is middle of the road.

The Murray and Byerly boots are decent.
Old     (uwwacsr)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-04-2007, 1:58 PM Reply   
THis is what I heard about the b-side...JD got 2 prototype boards at his house, one was labeled A-Side and the other B-Side. He liked the B-Side and there you have it!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-04-2007, 4:36 PM Reply   
thanx... sounds kinda interesting (story of b-side)
Old    sealyon.net            10-05-2007, 7:10 AM Reply   
Uwwacsr, I was told kinda told the same, except it was one board with 2 different sides ( for testing only) for him to try, an a side and a b side. He liked the b side better so he called his new board the b side.
I think it is going to be one hot board.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-05-2007, 8:18 AM Reply   
the new premier makes me happy inside my pants...WHEN WILL THEY BE IN STORES
Old     (tahoeguy7)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-05-2007, 10:10 AM Reply   
The B-side and the new Era shape have caught my interest the most. I also love the look of the new Byerly stuff.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-07-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
I think Ronix and LF are taking over the industry. Hyperlite might slowly be on its way out.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-07-2007, 8:02 AM Reply   
Pretty strong words for probably the longest standing most consistent company in the industry. I'm sure with riders like Rusty, Murray, and Byerly its a real recipe for disaster....ignorant
Old     (cas)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-07-2007, 3:44 PM Reply   
This year (2008) Hyperlite will try their new core, on a couple of boards. But next year (2009) alot of new things should happen with their boards and bindigs. I know that from the Hyperlite sales meeting.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-07-2007, 4:59 PM Reply   
hype isnt anywhere near being on their way out. unless something severly tragic happens financially to them there is no way. even though the O.G.'s left they still have alot of brains keeping them moving forward
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-07-2007, 5:18 PM Reply   
I severly doubt that Hyperlite is on its way out. I think the mix of board companies we currently have will be all contenders for your business for quite some time.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-07-2007, 7:08 PM Reply   
As a company Hyperlite will never go away but their product has been on a steady decline these past couple of years while everybody else has been progressing. This year, they are finally making some strides but their gear is still behind LF and Ronix in my opinion.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-07-2007, 7:12 PM Reply   
i'm curious to hear from those that end up really diggin' murray's board.

quote:

By nick farrell (nickdakoolkat) on Sunday, September 30, 2007 - 4:11 pm:

ehhh, hyperlite just doesn't excite me much anymore

so why click on a thread specifically talking about hyperlite?
Old    sealyon.net            10-07-2007, 7:59 PM Reply   
norcalboarder, your killing me. That's like saying fresh water is going out of style.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-07-2007, 9:18 PM Reply   
Lyon, its actually not like that at all. Thats a bit of a stretch. By the way, lets get the grammar correct, its You're, not your...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-07-2007, 9:27 PM Reply   

quote:

By Jason Shehan (norcalbordr) on Sunday, October 07, 2007 - 9:18 pm:

Lyon, its actually not like that at all. Thats a bit of a stretch. By the way, lets get the grammar correct, its You're, not your...

since we're on to grammar lessons, it's "it's" not "its," and "that's" not "thats."

Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-07-2007, 9:42 PM Reply   
Careful Joe, Jason went to the same collage I did, we dun't talk too gooder...
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-08-2007, 6:29 AM Reply   
Looks like the Hype haters are boggin the thread. It is great that you like Ronix and Liquid Force. I like them too. But no way is Hyperlite falling behind or losing ground to the other manufacturers. I know Hyperlite and CWB has my vote for bringing back U.S. made product. I ride the Frontier with Cell boots. Great ride, comfy boots. But the fit and finish COULD be better. Just look at the Ronix One thread...spider cracks and emblems coming off. But everyone still loves the board. So Ryan and Jason...please post your opinions on another thread. This one is called "Which Hyperlite 08's Hype You"
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-08-2007, 8:30 AM Reply   
Scott: Clearly you didn't read what I said. As fas as telling me to post on another thread... well I won't even get into arguing online.

Let me refresh your brain...

Just saw all of it. The Byerly Monarch is sick. The Tribute and B-Side are sick. Everything else is middle of the road.

The Murray and Byerly boots are decent.

I have been "in the industry" for quite a while. I see everything up close and personal. I know what happens in the front offices and most people on here do not.

Hyperlite bringing in Greg Nelson will be a positive move for them and will pay off. It is evident in what I have seen this year.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-08-2007, 8:46 AM Reply   
Let me enlighten some more of you on what I saw... yes I have "seen" everything. Oh and I have a brochure too. The Murray has all new features since it started from scratch. The outer rails on the board have a continuous rocker line but the inner part of the board has a 3 stage rocker. It's hard to explain. The Murray will be a top seller this year but the price is scaring me as well as the price on the Monarch. I thought they might have learned their lesson about the prices on these boards from the days of the DNA core.

Legacy - no change
Murray/Monarch - see above
Premier - ligher core - no ABS sidewall.
Apex - Old ERA shape
Pulse - Old 3DS
Tribute - very light and thin. Gonna be a good one. Oops, going to be a good one.
B-Side - Also going to be good.
Sub-6 - Should be interesting. Price really scares me... $799?!?! All of the team riders want to use this board so that should tell you something but they still have to endorse their own shapes.
For the ladies out there: The Blur this year is offered in a 131 and 136 and is the new shape of the Premier.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-08-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
OK, I really didn't mean to start something here and this got blown way out of proportion. Someone took my comment way too personal so I'm going to apologize to all those that I offended. All I was stating was that I thought LF and Ronix were going to be the new guys on top of the board manufacturers list. I have nothing against Hyperlite and I know that they have been around since the game started. The only reason I made the smart ass comment was because someone decided to take a personal stab at me when I was speaking in general terms. As riders, we are all supposed to be on the same team and having fun. I've been on Ronix threads where people come on and talk crap so it goes both ways. This will be my last posting on your discussion here but I wanted to clear this up.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-08-2007, 9:03 AM Reply   
The Byerly Legacy is actually one pound lighter this year...
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-08-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
Ryan...some might not read back up that far on the thread when you posted about the b sides and the tribute. This following comment to me is a negative comment about Hyperlite Brand: As a company Hyperlite will never go away but their product has been on a steady decline these past couple of years while everybody else has been progressing. This year, they are finally making some strides but their gear is still behind LF and Ronix in my opinion. Jason...i have been on the same Ronix thread when people were arguing about the quality with Ronix product. I defended Ronix all the way and still do. I like their product and I am riding it right now. My hopes are...with Hyperlite returning with SOME of their high end boards for production in the states. That the quality to be well executed. Which is what you should expect from US made boards. With the cores being milled instead of blow molded...you can expect top notch quality. My Frontier is not quite top notch for fit and finish. And my boots have had issues. But they are super comfy and the board edges, pops and lands great. I hope my new Murray will do the same. From what I heard from my buds that went to Shauns place during the Surf Expo.....I WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED! And my buds know my style and have rode my board. So I am stoked about Hyperlite gear and so are they. A year or two ago, they had said Hyperlite is finished if they don't pick up the game. I think 08 they have. We'll see once people get a hold of these boards and ride them for themselves.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-08-2007, 10:38 AM Reply   
Well take it for what you will Scott. The thing is you reiterated exactly what I said just differently at the end of your post.

"A year or two ago, they had said Hyperlite is finished if they don't pick up the game."

They haven't picked up the game these past couple of years. Other companies have so how is that negative?

I also agree that they have stepped up in '08 on certain product.

Hyperlite sucks... that is negative (though not my opinion).
Hyperlite on the decline... not negative.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-08-2007, 10:57 AM Reply   
I guess we will just have to say: We will make our own comparison's once all the product is out on the table to try out. Compare the rides, the quality, and the durability. I think most of the 08 product is going to be sweet. But I give props to Hyperlite, CWB and Slingshot for making them here in the states.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-08-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
True but most of Hyperlite's product is built overseas. 2004/2005 was the last year the bulk of the boards were built in the US. Since then, most everyone has gone over to China or UAE. Byerly (I believe) wanted his stuff built in the US (that's why they are in inches and not cm).

Unfortunately, once these new boards are perfected in the build process, I think they will go to China because they can build them 10 times cheaper.

It would be nice for these jobs to stay in the US. Wishful thinking though.
Old     (clearwake)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-08-2007, 11:28 AM Reply   
haha doesn't Hyperlite sell/produce about 4 times as many boards than any other company?

I like the Murrays, i'll take 2 pair
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-08-2007, 11:48 AM Reply   
They are huge. That may be another reason why they are producing so much in China.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-08-2007, 6:01 PM Reply   
Hyperlite boards U.S. made are: 08 Murray, 08Sub6,08 Premier, 08 and 07 Imperial....might be a couple more..not really sure. I think more of the manufacturing will come back to the states. I think some board companies are getting tired of the warranty claims and the turn around on getting the product to market. CWB is making their topend boards here in the states and will continue to do so. I think Hype is setting up a business model like CWB. Topend..U.S. made...budget to intermediate boards..overseas. Just my guess.
Old     (mike_mclin)      Join Date: Oct 2004       10-08-2007, 8:34 PM Reply   
Video interviews (with Rusty Malinoski, JD Webb, Greg Nelson, Brandon Thomas) about their new Hyperlite products here... http://www.dailywake.com/2007/09/27/hyperlite-booth-surf-expo-2007/
Old    sealyon.net            10-11-2007, 5:47 PM Reply   
Man, go out of town to work and you miss all kind of fun. Joe that's pretty good.
norcalbordr....No friction here, just giving my opinion Hyperlite is my personal favorite board Co. , but all the major board companies have good products, and I don't see any of them going out any time soon.
Old     (alliecat0223)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-11-2007, 6:21 PM Reply   
I cant wait to try some of the new girls boards. I want to start jumping better so going from a Motive/Divine , I keep looking at the new SYN or BLUR. I wont get to demo them till spring break. What have you guys heard about these shapes.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-11-2007, 7:16 PM Reply   
The Syn is the era mold, and the Blur is the 3DS mold. Both have really good reviews.
Old     (chris_williams)      Join Date: May 2007       10-11-2007, 8:14 PM Reply   
"I think Hype is setting up a business model like CWB" are you joking. CWB is trying to catch up by coming out with thier first closed toe years late after they call them clown shoes. Everyone has thier own opinion but look at that lucky wakeskate they were making. pressed by variflex! they sell those skateboards in toys r us. just seems kinda cheap
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-11-2007, 9:03 PM Reply   
lol hahaha...chris you are right.I think ho is on the dot by haveing dc do their bindings. There boards are sick. I also like the lf stuff this year. hit me up
Old    sealyon.net            10-12-2007, 7:19 AM Reply   
Allie, the Syn is the Tribute the new Greg Nelson shape, and the Blur is the Premier.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-12-2007, 7:41 AM Reply   
I agree. The Blur is the Premier mold. They changed it this year. The Blur used to be the Drive mold which is similar to the 3DS.

(Message edited by cavlxenvy on October 12, 2007)
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-12-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
Chris I'm pretty sure he meant Hype was setting up a manufacturing model like CWB. High end here, low end in China. As for the clown shoes, its true. Hype made a good sell and said the CT is necessary. Anyone who has ridden CWB's new (07) toe piece knows a CT is not necessary. But if impressionable kids have bought the line, you gotta cater to what they want. Fortunately CWB also has an open toe option.
Old     (alliecat0223)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-12-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
Thanks guys for that help. I just need to demo them on spring break and find out which one I like best. Since riding is over here in Indy unless we get any 90 degree days back. I hate this weather in the 50's }
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-13-2007, 10:27 PM Reply   
i dunno bout boards hypin me up but the new byerly boot is insaine. tried em on today and that is the boot for me. super stiff and comfy. i tried em on dry, no water, lube, etc. awsome fit. cant wait to get em and start riding them. im on a list to get the 3ds when they are available but im callin the factory monday and changin my order to the byerlys
Old     (waketrix101)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-14-2007, 3:44 PM Reply   
sub-6 is so light! i think everyone wants to ride it or at least see it! even those not hyped about hyperlite!
Old     (chrism4668)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-14-2007, 4:28 PM Reply   
Are the byerly boots a real knees bent style like his past boots or more up right now?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-14-2007, 7:34 PM Reply   
chris- no they actually have no forward lean at all, which is alot of the reason i even looked at them. i always like the way his boots fit but couldnt get past that drastic forward lean. now they are very neutral
Old     (chrism4668)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-14-2007, 7:42 PM Reply   
thats good to hear! What about the murrays do you known if they have forward lean or neautral??
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-14-2007, 9:35 PM Reply   
I know it has already been said but I'm looking to see what the murray is like as a 3 stage!
Old     (chrism4668)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-15-2007, 5:42 AM Reply   
yeah i have heard it has continuous stage rails and a 3 stage bottom dont know how that would work though
Old     (chrism4668)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-15-2007, 4:02 PM Reply   
anyone out there able to tell me what the rocker line measurements on the murrays are for each length?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-15-2007, 5:10 PM Reply   
There are lots of past boards that use the 3 stage center and continuous rail rocker profile. Often its referred as a hybrid or abrupt continuous. LF has used the rocker line for years. As did Double Up, hence the Nelson connection to Murray's new board.
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       11-09-2007, 5:58 PM Reply   
e WOW this thread got some action!
Just got to check out all the 08 gear from hyperlite. Heres my 411.

New cores are nice, however the BIO cores are supper light as well. Graphics varied from board to board (I'm not talking the pictures but the textures and gloss finishes on both deck and bottom). Wonder if one will hold up better than other?

Boards;
The Sub really didnt impress me except its really light ( it'll take a weeks before you stop over-rotating everything).
Murray- new core, new shape - however board texture and overall appearance ? me.
B-side- Definitely a board I am going to try out. Heck even the deck 'shape' of the board just stands out.
Tribute - Now this is a board everyone should try out. Great new shape, core, all-in-all a must-demo.
New Byerly board is a must see- great shape, great weight, and yes killer graphics- however $'y. The legacy is also nice being lighter and crazy wood graphics and not as big of a sticker $.

BOOTS;
As for the boots, really only impressed by; Murray, Byerly, and the Foundation.
Murray - Byerly's are VERY similiar in design, except; M- have optional stiffners in the sides and B- has optional stiffners in the tongue. Super light and they are not as TALL/ huge as they appear on the website or catalog.
Foundation - reminds me of the Highbacks back when it came out- a stellar binding for everyone to use.

And finally, Premier will be offered as a package board!

Thats my 2-bits on what I saw.
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-10-2007, 5:42 PM Reply   
I haven't really tried out any Hype boards since I got hooked on LF. Are they still as heavy as they used to be. I had an 04 Byerly and the thing was indestructable but it had alot of glass used on it...
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-10-2007, 6:40 PM Reply   
the old shapes are still about the same weight but the new shapes that came out this year are way lighter, especially the sub6, which is probably the lightest board on the market this year. i have ridden at least 3 different boards from every company out there and my riding has never benefitted or been hindered from a heavy or light board. just a prefference really. you may notice the weight when riding but if you have propper technique you wont get any more airtime or rotation with a lighter board
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-10-2007, 8:19 PM Reply   
does that mean you arnt roamin it next year???Callen
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-11-2007, 10:45 AM Reply   
I'm going to disagree with you jason. I agree that proper technique has alot to do with what you take out of your board , but I got 10 times the mobility when I switched from my Byerly to an LF Shane. I could definately feel the weight difference beneath me....I'm not knocking the Hype board I had it was just heavier than the LF...
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-11-2007, 2:42 PM Reply   
Sub VI is the lightest board available...Don't believe...wait until all 08's are on the market...take them to the scale. Not saying it won't be a close race...but it would be really hard to beat the Sub. The core is much lighter...only other boards with that core are Murray08, Ronix darkcores, and the Byerly Monarch. But the mass is way less on the SubVI than those other boards mentioned. Will it make a difference in riding...depends on the person. I ordered the 08 Murray....the bottom is totally a sick design that just rocks! Check out Hype site and look closely to the bottom pic of the board...dual rocker lines are going to rule IMO. Again...might not be for everyone...just got to test them.
Old     (chrism4668)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-12-2007, 5:13 AM Reply   
scott have you recieved your board yet??? if so whats it like the finish etc? if you have it can you post some pics and also measurements of the mid width and tail width? would be much appreciated i am looking at getting the murray but cant decide on the 135 or 140
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-12-2007, 5:47 AM Reply   
Chris...No I wish I did. I am just telling you from my past demo's. As soon as I get my board in I promise to post pics and measurements and anything else I can come up with. All I can say is....it is an awesome board. Definitely worth a spin.
Old     (chrism4668)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-12-2007, 7:00 AM Reply   
what board are you comming from does the murray feel smaller than the 140??
Old     (h2oterroristo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-12-2007, 7:35 AM Reply   
I like Ruck's board. Anyone gonna get an Era?
Old     (chrism4668)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-15-2007, 8:00 PM Reply   
anyone ridden any of the 08 pro models eg bside murray sub iv etc? how do the ride what do they compare to?
Old    sealyon.net            11-19-2007, 3:40 PM Reply   
I was told by one of my reps. riders that the tribute is a lot like the 3ds but way more forgiving.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       11-19-2007, 8:27 PM Reply   
After 4 years on the 3DS Chris is switching to the Tribute. He said he really liked it after he got to try Mike's in Sept.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-20-2007, 4:58 AM Reply   
chris the board I am currently riding is the Ronix Frontier 137. The Murray 135 was the test drive...it is a lot lighter than my Frontier. The 140 that I ordered is gong to be lighter than my Frontier. This board will not disappoint. It is an awesome ride...