Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (sendtobrit)      Join Date: Aug 2012       06-17-2014, 9:00 AM Reply   
We were at a lake all week last week and while the boat sat on the water it took on water. The bilge would automatically come on during the night. The Shaft seal is brand new just got replaced and before we left it was re-tightened after installed. What is the normal water intake on these direct drive boats? Is this normal? I need some help cause the dealer is saying its normal and it doesn't seem normal to me.
Old     (sendtobrit)      Join Date: Aug 2012       06-17-2014, 9:07 AM Reply   
I mean v-drive sorry
Old     (racer808)      Join Date: Jan 2013       06-17-2014, 9:18 AM Reply   
I never take on enough water to activate the bilge. Where is the water coming from? My friends boat would leak a lot of water through his shaft seal just sitting & would fill it that the bilge would come on. Did you recheck your shaft?
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       06-17-2014, 9:24 AM Reply   
Well, there's only so many places that water can come in. Start being systematic about it.
  • Rudder Port
  • Propshaft Stuffing Box
  • Rear Drain Plug
  • Center Drain Plug (if you have one)
  • Freshwater through hull connection for engine cooling
  • Ballast system intake through hull (if you have this)
  • Any hoses that connect to your freshwater intake system or your ballast system
  • Perfect Pass Paddle Wheel through hull (if you have this)
  • Through Hull Depth Transducer (if you have this)
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       06-17-2014, 9:33 AM Reply   
Most likely the shaft seal if it wasn't checked and adjusted on the water with the boat in gear (assuming its a traditional seal with packing). Should just be a few drips a minute while in gear. Only way to figure out where it's leaking is to do some looking at anything that goes through the hull below the water line while you're out there. Check clamps on any hoses/through-hulls to make sure they're tight.

With the seal adjusted properly, I don't take on enough water to make my bilge run on any given overnight.

Also, you'd get more help if you posted this in the boat section.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-17-2014, 10:14 AM Reply   
Had a direct drive that would leak like crazy. Ended up being the exhaust manifold where they exit the hull. Pull it out of the water and put a water hose in your bilge. If its rudder, shaft seal or something below the water line you'll be able to tell

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3
Old     (sendtobrit)      Join Date: Aug 2012       06-17-2014, 6:19 PM Reply   
Thanks guys just trying to get some ideas. The boat is a 2013 so just a year old and we have had this problem since we got it! Got a new seal and same thing but worse. I am wondering if there is some alignment that needs to be done when installing these things and maybe its out of alignment. I will have to check all the hoses connected to the various areas that deal with freshwater. The mechanic has it now, hopefully he can find what the culprit is.
Old     (fence_sence)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-18-2014, 9:25 AM Reply   
Check your exhaust logs as well. I had a clamp come loose on one of mine once and it took on water like a MF.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-19-2014, 8:43 AM Reply   
ballast system can leak too. check all fittings, hoses, connections and pumps. or at least close your valves off so you rule out some things