Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    Dodinas            07-03-2012, 4:52 PM Reply   
Hey All,

I picked up a GoPro HD Hero 2 Surf Edition to take out on the boat. I took it out yesterday for a test run. I attached the "permanent" surfboard mount to my longer board which is approximately 5.5 feet long. It's attached to the very ti(front foot) of the board facing the surfer. I would like it to capture the surfer's face and legs somewhat. However, when I tilt the camera all the way up, it is not able to capture the surfer's face unless the surfer gets reallllly low. It only picks up the chest and lower.

Any tips on placement of the camera? I've tried using the 720p 60fps which uses the standard field of vision.

Thanks!
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-03-2012, 5:19 PM Reply   
Well the first thing to consider is you may be SOL. I cannot say for sure, but I have installed a lot of FCS plugs for people in the past for GoPros. The biggest difference as you pointed out is length. On average a nose mounted camera on a surfboard would be a lot further away from the rider then on a wake surfer. Additionally your average surfboard has a few inches more rocker in the nose. This may be contributing. I would simply get a friend to stand on the board (in a safe manner) and see at what height you need to capture his face and the field you want.... then work up some sort of addition to the supplied mounting system.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-03-2012, 5:53 PM Reply   
Why not just use the suction mount on the back of the boat? Ur close enough
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-04-2012, 5:11 AM Reply   
I posted a video here about a year ago I used multiple mounts together in order to view the rider. The go pro was mounted to a SS Comp 1.
Old     (gracenface)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-04-2012, 5:53 PM Reply   
@E you should take a picture of your mount set ups so we can see how you did it
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-04-2012, 5:44 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gpwhbf4sX0
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-04-2012, 11:13 PM Reply   
E, was that you on the Trinadad during the Cent Crew Meet last year?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-05-2012, 12:46 AM Reply   
Buy one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Grab-Mou...ords=gopro+kit

It will allow you to articulate the camera to a higher angle, and also lift it up off of the board a bit. We always add an extra piece to every camera, so we can at least articulate it forward and back and left and right.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-05-2012, 10:00 AM Reply   
@matt that was me on the trinity last year during the centurion meet.

@grace next time I use that set up I'll take a picture of the way I mounted it.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-05-2012, 12:02 PM Reply   
E I hought so!! LOL Nice boat too! My apologies for calling it the wrong name, I was close

Hope to see ya again this year BTW do you know who owns that green Tige that was out during that time?

The mounting pack that Garcia posted works well.

Some vid with my Gopro mounted on the nose of my Bluelake.

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero2-surf-edition/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2Bp8...cRA&playnext=1
Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-05-2012, 8:10 PM Reply   
Trinity is unreal! Love that lake...and best of all...no one knows about it. They all go to Shasta
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-07-2012, 7:20 AM Reply   
@matt I dont know who owns the green tige. When is the meet this year?
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-07-2012, 10:01 AM Reply   
E, 10/5-10/7 same spot
Old     (jagermeister)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-07-2012, 3:12 PM Reply   
I stuck one mount, dead center on the transom, right at the rub rail...

I also stuck one on the tower right below the tow point between the speakers.. The only problem is the vid in inverted and you need to use quick time pro to invert it correctly...

Last edited by jagermeister; 07-07-2012 at 3:16 PM.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            07-07-2012, 3:19 PM Reply   
^^^there is a setting on the camera to flip ur video when recording rather than waiting until editing
Old     (jagermeister)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-07-2012, 3:23 PM Reply   
Really?.. I read the manual and googled it but could not find it.. I also checked out the settings... Can you help.. I must be missing it.... Thanks
Old     (jagermeister)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-07-2012, 3:42 PM Reply   
Found it.... Thanks
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-07-2012, 5:16 PM Reply   
Only problem is to remember to put it back, for next time. D'oh! I did that recently.