Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-29-2012, 2:33 PM Reply   
Anybody out there big on microbrews? If so, what is your favorite and why?

Best i've tried lately is Delirium Tremens. I would recommend to beer and wine fans.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       01-29-2012, 3:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepintoliquid View Post
Anybody out there big on microbrews? If so, what is your favorite and why?

Best i've tried lately is Delirium Tremens. I would recommend to beer and wine fans.
Delirium is top notch!! only bad part... you can rarely buy it for under $6.50-$7 a glass. I was in Taiwan for work this fall and they had it there for the same price as every other beer in the bar. I drank a lot of it then!!

Some local favorites here in MN are Summit EPA and Surley (I like Surley Furious). Was on a Smithwicks kick for a while. Anything pale ale is delicious in my book.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-29-2012, 6:48 PM Reply   
Steelhead Pale Ale
Lightning Brewery Amber Ale
Lightning Brewery Black Lightning Porter
Green Flash West Coast IPA
Stone Smoked Porter
good old Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Anchor Steam Amber Ale
Red Seal Ale
Stone Arrogant Bastard

... Too many to name. Too many for.just one of two favorites.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-29-2012, 7:20 PM Reply   
Lost Coast Downtown Brown
North Coast Pranqster
Russian River Pliny the Elder
Lagunitas IPA
Ninkasi Believer Double Red
Rogue 2x Mocha Porter
Dogfish Head Chicory Stout, 90 min IPA and Pearl Jam collab.
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       01-29-2012, 10:03 PM Reply   
Big fan of alot of beers, but alot of the good stuff is regional and limited due to distribution routes. Not much of a belgian style beer guy.
Old     (jps912)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-30-2012, 7:11 AM Reply   
Im a big fan of all the lauginitas brews and last time i was at the brewery the bartender clued us in to mixing beers. He mixed the Little Sumpin and the Hop Stupid and called it Sumpin Stupid. It was really really good. Also a big fan of Ninkasi, Rogue and Speakeasy.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-30-2012, 9:57 AM Reply   
OH man.. where to start.....

mmmmmm....beer!!
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-31-2012, 8:57 AM Reply   
I'll be making a Binny's trip very soon to try out some of these recommendations!
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       01-31-2012, 9:54 AM Reply   
Maybe we could start a "beer across the states" exchange ???? Somebody sends a 6 pack of local beer to someone else (where that beer isn't avaliable) & that person returns the favor. etc, etc...... (just a thought)
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-31-2012, 11:02 AM Reply   
That's the best idea i've heard in a long time!
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       01-31-2012, 11:39 AM Reply   
Anything Stone or Weyerbacher, they are my two long time favorite breweries. I really like Ruination. Double Bastard is great if aged for a year, it develops more of an oaked bourbon taste but still quite diverse in flavor.

Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA is one of my favorites. It does not really taste like a true IPA. More of a diverse and somewhat fruity flavor. It's intensely sweet with a mild bitter IPA finish in undertones of the sweetness. It is much better aged for at least a year and it ages well as it's about 20%. This is definitely a sipping beer.

One of my favorites, especially on tap when I can find it, is Rogue Chocolate Stout. Nice dark chocolate taste, very pleasant not too bitter not overly sweet or sugary. Light on alcohol at 4.5%, but perfect for an after dinner treat in lieu of dessert.

Lately I've been enjoying this one winter ale, I forget the brewery but it's not at all what I expected. It's delightfully dark and taste quite stout. It'll come to me. Another good dark beer is Old Railbender. Forget the brewery but I go for that every now and again.

My tastes vary by season. Mostly IPA in the summer and darker heartier beers in the winter.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       01-31-2012, 12:26 PM Reply   
Steelhead Pale ale
Lost Coast - great white / downtown brown
Black Star beer from whitefish montana
Pliney the Elder from Russian River Brewing Company
Sudwerk - Davis
Just to name a few
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       01-31-2012, 5:16 PM Reply   
Are we talking Microbrew or just craft in general? On the Micro side, we have a great new offering here in St. Louis called Six Row. A lot of different options and a great new BrewPub in an old Fallstaff brewery. Once AB got bought out by InBev, the Microbreweries are popping up all over St. Louis. We're starting to get some solid offerings, Augusta Brewery, Cathedral, Six Row, Grafton, Urban Chestnut, etc.

On the larger scale, being from the KC area, I don't believe you can go wrong with Boulevard. My current favorite is their Double Wit from their limited production Smokestack Series. I'm also a big fan of the Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       01-31-2012, 5:17 PM Reply   
Also on a larger scale, I have not really ran into a Leinenkugel or Shiner product I don't like. I really like the Shiner Ruby Redbird summer offering.
Old     (psych3060)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-01-2012, 9:22 AM Reply   
Greenflash- Le Freak, West Coast IPA and 30th street Pale and Hop Head Red (yay for having the brewery 10 minutes from my house)

Kern River- Citra

Apline Brewery- Pure Hopiness

Racer 5 IPA

Pliney the Elder

I'm a little girl with a big palate when it comes to hops!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-01-2012, 1:51 PM Reply   
Huge fan of Belgiun/Belgiun style: Mostly Triples and quads
Roquefort 10, 8, 6
Duvel
Chimay
Stoic by Deschetes Brewery

IPA's
Pliney the Elder and I can assume Younger as well but it can only be had at Russian River
Dogfish head 90 minute (tastes very close to Pliney) also 120
Stone Ruination
Double Wide by Boulevard Brewing
GUBNA by Oskar Blues

I like Scotch Ales alot as well:
Highway 78 colab between stone and rogue I believe
Old Chub Oskar Blues

I like the Arrogants by Stone
Double Arrogant (bought a $99 bottle of this on Christmas Eve
Oaked Arrogant

To many to name really...
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-01-2012, 2:18 PM Reply   
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-01-2012, 2:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
http://www.mademan.com/5-beers-no-ma...rink-after-25/
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-02-2012, 7:31 AM Reply   
That link is right about how you shouldn't drink those beers after age 25, but it is full of misinformation.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-03-2012, 11:40 AM Reply   
I'm hoping whoever wrote that was kidding when they said they didn't know what Busch beer was named after. IMO, I don't care what your beer preference is, but you lose your man card if you aren't familiar with the Anheuser-Busch brewery.