Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-13-2007, 4:29 PM Reply   
Just wondering what he's up to?

Coming from Australia i didn't know much about him.
He was my favourite rider in the 90's and early 2000's. i used to eagerly wait for the wake magazines to arrive and search for the comp results, he always seemed to be right up there with Shaun/Parks/Darin.

i first saw him in an episode of wake tv, he was ripping at a cable park, and i last saw him in Wide Awake

i know he's from Colarado.... he may be snowboarding??

Maybe his body couldn't handle it anymore?

Please post details, stories, and encounters with the BIG JOHNSON...
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-13-2007, 4:53 PM Reply   
I know he was a very smart guy & was studying engineering at CU (in Boulder CO). He was also into stunt flying airplanes. This is just a guess, but I'd say he decided to go the professional route and make $ doing engineering work. He was definitely a sick tech rider.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       12-13-2007, 4:57 PM Reply   
last i heard he left the sport to fly airplanes
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       12-13-2007, 5:01 PM Reply   
awhile back they said he was mad serious about golfing.

And this, my friends, is how rumors get started. :-) I know he's been discussed on here before--I'd search the site because I know you can find something, albeit slightly outdated.
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-13-2007, 5:06 PM Reply   
Yeah, i found an interview. he seemed very switched on.
he was training on trampolines, he was training on the dive board.
he loved flying, and snowboarding.
he even had an agent.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-13-2007, 5:11 PM Reply   
He was a rider I always like to watch, his tech stuff was so smooth.
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-13-2007, 5:31 PM Reply   
Last I heard, he was living outside of Austin Texas and owned a skydiving company.

He was forced to retire after a serious ankle injury.

Guy killed it.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-13-2007, 6:12 PM Reply   
I just came across some pics from the Phoenix pro am of Brannan and the boys. Jacob was a little over four years old and Eddie was like 7.
That contest Brannan won the whole thing.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-13-2007, 7:28 PM Reply   
HE RODE THE SQUIRT.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-14-2007, 6:57 AM Reply   
He is or was living around Austin. not sure what he is doing here I thought it was some engineering job though
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-14-2007, 9:00 AM Reply   
Yeah...he's here in Austin....went out for a set on Steve's(atxparrothead) boat earlier this summer after not riding for like 7 years or something like that. Steve said that he slayshed around on the wake for a bit and then did a HS front for his first wake to wake after 7 years off.... :-)
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-14-2007, 12:11 PM Reply   
I've often wondered this same question.. That guy was quite a rider... then he just disappeared. Kudos to him for having a Plan B!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-14-2007, 12:31 PM Reply   
He retired while still at the top of his game, I think college was always his A plan.
Old    swass            12-14-2007, 1:23 PM Reply   
I took a private lesson from him back in the day (2000, maybe?). Even back then he was talking about becoming a pilot.