Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (brucegoose23)      Join Date: Jan 2011       01-22-2011, 7:56 PM Reply   
just thinking about buying a wet suit for the spring and I have no idea what things to consider. What thickness do i need for about 60 degree water and will i have much flexibility? What suits are other wakeboarders wearing?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-23-2011, 3:47 PM Reply   
probably be ok with a 3/2, but a 4/3 will definitely have you covered when it comes to warmth but not as mobile as a 3/2. if you are grabbing and poking and moving a ton while riding then you might have higher priority to warmth than stretch, its up to you.

i learned quite a few things about wetsuits on
http://www.pleasuresports.com/
they have nice descriptive videos on many suits and lengthy info on all the suits with up-front easy to compare stats, such as temp ratings.
pretty good prices too

another site that is nice when searching through and learning stuff is wetsuitwarehouse.com, but i like pleasure sports better

Last edited by wakerider111; 01-23-2011 at 3:49 PM.
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-23-2011, 4:01 PM Reply   
It depends on the average air temp. We would typically ride with a shortie spring suit in 60 degree water, as long as the air was in the 70s. If the air is in the 60s, then a 3/2 full suit.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-24-2011, 4:01 AM Reply   
In the 50's and low 60's I wear an O'Niell's Psycho II 3/2 but above that a L/S O'Neill Hammer Shortie 2mm.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-24-2011, 8:07 AM Reply   
2mm heater top or a 3/2 shorty for air temps in high 60s and above. Could wear a rash guard or some other poly type shirt under suit for a little extra warmth. Wind and sun also a factor. A 74 degree cloudy breezy day feels colder to me than a 67 degree sunny calm day.
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-25-2011, 6:21 PM Reply   
What do you think about the Body Glove 3/2mm Pro 3? Or should I buy a shorty instead of a full suit.
http://www.pleasuresports.com/bodyglove-pro3.html
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-25-2011, 6:27 PM Reply   
get a nice flexible long sleeve spring suit. get a chest zip if you can because they are more flexible and less chance to get water in
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-25-2011, 8:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakesetter_WW View Post
What do you think about the Body Glove 3/2mm Pro 3? Or should I buy a shorty instead of a full suit.
http://www.pleasuresports.com/bodyglove-pro3.html
notice that the stitching on that one is flat-lock which is not as waterproof as glued and blind stitched. if that is your aim then alright, but the more waterproof stitch is going to be warmer
Old     (wakesetter_WW)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-25-2011, 9:25 PM Reply   
I'm new to wet suits. What would you recommend. The coldest water I will probably be in this spring will be around 60.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-26-2011, 1:17 AM Reply   
If your budget can take it, I would go with a glued and blind stitched shorty, I only have a long sleeve because my arms get cold when I'm driving the ski, which is odd, when I'm being towed behind it at the same speeed my arms don't get cold.......
But I digress.
The Rip Curl Dawn Patrol Shortie or the OŽNeill Gooru 2mm Shortie would be great, they'd last for years if you treat them right.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       01-29-2011, 1:55 PM Reply   
Not to hijack, but I'll go ahead and hijack... I have a 4/3 Psycho suit and also a 2mm Jetpilot top. A spring suit would be nice for inbetween but I'm thinking since I have the Jetpilot top maybe a pair of neoprene shorts would work fine and give me more options for water/air temps when it's not crazy cold but enough to want something. Anyone do similar or can recommend decent neoprene shorts?
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       01-29-2011, 3:31 PM Reply   
I like the heater top/neo shorts. Lots of options as you said. A shorty is nice so you don't have the gap around your waist, but you can get around that tucking in the top in the shorts.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-30-2011, 10:17 AM Reply   
I would recommend a Chamber by Jet Pilot. I have a chamber for those conditions and I love it. It has a great lining in it that makes it so the water takes a long time to completely come in. Sometimes the top part will still be partly dry when I take it off.
Old     (mikef9844)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-31-2011, 11:23 AM Reply   
I have an Oneill psycho 2 3/2mm and ride year round here in Houston. The coldest water temp I've rode was low 50's and the suit kept me warm. The stitches are glued on both the inside and outside which keeps the water out. It basically feels like a barrier between me and the water because no water actually gets in the suit. You only feel the moisture from the wetsuit material. This is the far end of the spectrum but I like to be hot when I ride not cold. I'll wear this suit until the water temp hits 70s but again I hate the cold more than anything. Once the water hits 70s I have a 2/1 shorty spring suit but the air temp is usually in the 80s by then so it feels refreshing to jump in. Just my 2 cents hope this helps.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-31-2011, 11:32 AM Reply   
I used to go straight from the dry suit to the boardies. Last year I got the O'neill Gooru L/S Spring and I have been using that thing non-stop. In CA, starting in March it was all I rode. Even in the summer for the early 6am dawn patrols I will still rock it. I got so tired of stupid heater shirts riding up and not keeping my more sensitive areas warm. The thing is just so comfortable and takes the sting off the major slams. LS Springs are where its at!
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-08-2011, 9:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemitch View Post
get a nice flexible long sleeve spring suit. get a chest zip if you can because they are more flexible and less chance to get water in
Yup. Just picked up a RipCurl EBomb. Water was 55-60, air was low 50's with a slight breeze. Little chilly, but not bad.