Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old    ilovetrains            07-08-2006, 8:10 PM Reply   
Today while riding across the lake we heard a loud thunk. I looked for log or something else, but could not find anything. I swam under and checked prop, rudder, fins etc., no signs of any damage. However, when I lifted the rear seat and looked at the bilge area imediately in front of the transmission, I saw a bolt on the floor. It has a black painted head, and is roughly 3/4 inch long, however it clearly sheared off. The threads are brass. I felt all around and could not find any empty bolt holes ont he transmission or as far up the engine as I could feel.

She ran fine going back, although it seemed there was a slight vibration that might not have been present before. My dealer is 3 hours away and I have heavy boating weekend plans for the next two weekends. What do you guys think I should do?

This is an 06 LSV, 40 hours on the clock.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-08-2006, 8:14 PM Reply   
Should have bought a Tige.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I wonder if it is one of the bolts that hold the shaft to the tranny. There are usually four of them, they are nearly impossible to see without a mirror, and you might not feel them all unless you felt all of the way around. I think that you definitely will need to talk to your dealer on this one, maybe he'll be able to do it for you by phone.

My dealer was able to have a warranty issue done on my boat at a local shop, so that it saved me a 2 hour trip. Maybe you can do the same.

(Message edited by talltigeguy on July 08, 2006)
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-09-2006, 6:47 AM Reply   
Like talltigeguy said, call your dealer. And if he can't fix the problem by phone, take the boat in but make sure they know you have plans for the weekend. It sounds like a pretty easy fix, whatever the problem ends up being.

I'm growing a little apprehensive of Indmar. Lately, there's been a rash of Malibu, Supra, and MC engine problems. My Indmar runs perfectly, but that doesn't seem to be the case across the board.
Old     (nbeihl)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-09-2006, 8:26 AM Reply   
Time not being a factor, I would definitely take it in, but since it appears as though time is a factor, I would find out where that bolt came from before I took it out again, especially if there is a new vibration.

If the bolt was big enough to make a 'thump' in the hull that made you think that you hit something, then it has to be a big bolt, which means it comes from a big hole. There are not that many big bolts in engine compartment. I would spend some time looking around... you will find it eventually. Knowing where you found the bolt is essential. You can generally look up from where you found the bolt unless you drove around or ripped the engine to idle once you heard the bolt hit the floor.
Old    ilovetrains            07-10-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
Looked hard at the 24V and remember trading some emails about it, but ended up liking the LSV better.

Bottom line is, it will have to go back to the dealer. I talked with them and they mentioned that even if I figure out where the bolt came from, part of it is still in the block or the tranny and will need to be extracted.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       07-11-2006, 12:57 PM Reply   
Are all of your bolts still in the coupling for the v-drive, it you hit something hard you could shear one off? This would probably happen only if you sustain some sort of prop damage too. An unbalanced shaft coupler will give you some slight vibration, so would a tweaked prop, or engine alignment. Also check your motor mounts, 4 bolts at each location. Sometimes the factory will leave some debris in the bilge that will gradually work it's way to the bottom of the boat, so it may just be debris, you hit a branch, and the vibration is in your head. I swear every time I hit something I think I feel vibration and ruined the prop. It's just new boat panic.

If none of that works out just be glad you didn't buy a tige, with a flat soft wake and a trim tab for the only ballast. Sorry, couldn't resist
Old    ilovetrains            07-11-2006, 1:01 PM Reply   
Poor Tige guy!!

I found it last night. Bolt that holds the accessory bracket onto the block. Part of it is still in the block.

Seems like it must have been cooincidence. I think I hit a fish, or a very soft log as there is nothing underneeth to suggest impact with anything, and just happened to notice the sheared bolt.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       07-11-2006, 4:56 PM Reply   
Make the dealer do it or get an "easy out" at Sears and replace with stainless. 10 minute job.
Old    bocephus            07-11-2006, 4:59 PM Reply   
Grade 8 not stainless...JMO though.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       07-11-2006, 5:04 PM Reply   
copy that...
Old     (big_brandon)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-12-2006, 3:28 PM Reply   
mbrown: hit me up when you are in the Houston area, and I will show you a dialed Tige wake, sorry couldn't resist!!!!!

Just like all other boats, it is about dialing it in. Everyone makes a boat with a decent wake. Do they come from the factory dialed, no way!!!! Tige ballast is not "Standard" but it is offered as an option.

Like I said earlier, if you want to see a weighted and dialed 2006 22ve, hit me up.

www.texastige.com
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       07-12-2006, 5:28 PM Reply   
I rode behind a "Dialed Tige" in Disco, not close to the VLX wake in terms of firmness, size or steepness--- Especially because the VLX was just running straight stock ballast! 4 tanks and the wedge, sorry couldn't resist.

Wake is personal preference I love VLX you like 22ve (or just sell them). Tige is a quality boat. It's just not what I liked when demo-ing.