Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-05-2006, 7:06 AM Reply   
I saw last summer a post of the heavy duty vaccum cleaners you can rent from certain stores. I am going to try that, but what about cleaning the carpets under the seat cushions? Is there a small handheld type cleaner, steamer, vaccum, etc. that some of you have used that worked well?

I have also heard that using a pressure washer and just spraying the carpet really well works too.

My carpet is in need of a good deep clean. Any good suggestions?
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-05-2006, 7:29 AM Reply   
yeah I'm looking for info on this too. The carpet in my compartments is still pretty plush and looks good, but the main part of the floor is flat and matted. What's the solution to restore it to the new look?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-05-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
you cna try the carpet cleanres you can rent, they have a small hose attacehment. I just pressure washed mine, I've found it works the best. spray soem sort of pre-stain cleaner on the carpet first and let it sit then pressure wash and wet vac up.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-05-2006, 7:36 AM Reply   
Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and rent a RUG DOCTOR. They have a hand held attachment to get under the seats and in tight corners. It works great. It is only like $20 per day . You will have to buy some cleaning soultion but it is worth every penny. You will be amazed at how much dirt and grime come out of your carpet.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-05-2006, 7:59 AM Reply   
Does it restore that fluffy look and feeling to the carpet? I hate how my main floor area looks so shabby and flat. Boooooooo
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-05-2006, 8:10 AM Reply   
i take mine to the car wash and hit it with the power washer... keep the nozzle about 6 inches away from the carpet to keep it from separating the carpet glue from the floor. keep it away from your upholstery! anyhow, just spray agains the direction the carpet is laying and it will make it stand back up again... i got the idea after watching a local MC dealership "detailing" the inside of a customer's boat. i have done it several times with no adverse effects and it gets the carpet super clean...
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-05-2006, 10:36 AM Reply   
Go to or call a carpet store and ask for a small carpet rake. Rake the carpet then use your household vacumn. Any spots left over you can take a hot hot towel and blot place towel on spots for 60 secs and step on towel for 10 sec and woola spot transfers too towel. Use any degreasers sparingly maybe only a few drops and do the same then blot again a few few times to rince out the soap. Get your carpet nice and clean then spray with teflon protector and wipe down overspray and brush into carpet. Let bake in sun for 30 minutes and you are set too go for a year.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-05-2006, 12:07 PM Reply   
I use a pressure washer at the local car wash. Use the high pressure rinse with carpet cleaner in a spray bottle. Afterward, use wet/dry vacuum to extract the excess water. Treat with Scotchguard. Takes less than an hour.

Bad spots, pre-treat with spot remove and a stiff, plastic bristle brush.

One warning - don't get too close. Some pressure washers are powerful. About a foot away with a spray wand works well. If the carpets are really dirty, use a brush to work the nap so the sand can float away.

Finally, remember to remove the bilge plug....
Old    debsxstar            06-06-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
Hey using a pressure washer....doesn't it get the steering cable wet? Won't that cause problems with stiff steering?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-06-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
I woudl reccomend only spraying/ cleanign the main area of your carpet, I would not spray up under the dash. the steerign cable would be the least of your worries.
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-06-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   
take it to a detail shop and let them labor over it for $50 it's worth it. That's what I do twice a summer! They have all the chemicals to get any grease, chip stains, etc. Miracle workers for $50. They even wash and wax it for the $50 ;0).
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-06-2006, 2:13 PM Reply   
Ken, $50......do you live in Taiwan? I coulnd't get my 13 y/o neighborhood houldlums to do it for that. I've see prices ranging from $100 and up. hand wax, wash, carpets, ect.....
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-07-2006, 7:50 AM Reply   
you should detail it yourself, you'll feel much better about it afterwards!

my personal experience has been to spray the carpets with shampoo, scrub well by hand and then pressure wash clean, till you have almost no bubbles left... Shop Vac most of the water out, put a fan in it for a few days and wualla! Clean carpet!
Old     (matt_e)      Join Date: May 2003       06-07-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
I recommend water/downy:50/50 for carpet fluffiness.
Old     (knwebs)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-07-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
Adam, I guess we're next door to Taiwan...Oklahoma City. You know the topic Bush is addressing, well we have a lot of folks that can't understand you but know what to do and they don't care if it's 100 degrees outside or 30 they're happy to be working. The place I take it to has all the contracts for the dealerships so I guess they're use to not getting much per car. I realize that I get a heck of a deal and that's why it's not worth my time....This is time I could be on the water ;0).