Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       06-27-2011, 2:04 PM Reply   
What is wrong with some of you! I am speaking to some of the vendors the are here frequently!

If a man walks into your store and knows what he wants sell it to him. DO NOT TRY TO SELL HIM SOMETHING DIFFERENT!

I will make this a short RANT!

Over the past 3 or 4 weeks I have heard from a few people who have contacted a certain WW supporter looking to purchase a product. These people have walked / called in to get the product they want while trying to support the company that has been somewhat of a help on these boards. These few people have been met with some crap a$$ sales man trying to sell them some product they do not want and are not interested in. What is wrong with these people? This is how company politics lead a customer to a different / better company.

To the company in question- I honestly hope that you are called out by the customers you have offended and lost. I hope they show the WW community the kind of business you really run. In the mean time thanks for all the business you have sent out to better companies than yours.

P.S. THE CUSTOMER IS ALMOST ALWAYS RIGHT
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-27-2011, 3:05 PM Reply   
Rule #1 in sales: Never stand in the way of a sale about to happen. (Don't over-explain. Don't offer solutions for situations they're not fixing. Etc.)
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-27-2011, 3:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottog1979 View Post
Rule #1 in sales: Never stand in the way of a sale about to happen. (Don't over-explain. Don't offer solutions for situations they're not fixing. Etc.)
hmmm. i thought rule #1 was to develop the need. some people may not know exactly how to best fulfill a need if they do not know all the options there are. if i only know about options #1 and #2, i may miss out a better option, #3, that more appropriately fits my needs if am not informed about it. there is a fine line between developing the need and trying to upsell the customer, but if you help them develop the need you can ensure you send them away with the optimal option that addresses their needs.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-27-2011, 4:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc_worm View Post
hmmm. i thought rule #1 was to develop the need. some people may not know exactly how to best fulfill a need if they do not know all the options there are. if i only know about options #1 and #2, i may miss out a better option, #3, that more appropriately fits my needs if am not informed about it. there is a fine line between developing the need and trying to upsell the customer, but if you help them develop the need you can ensure you send them away with the optimal option that addresses their needs.
I agree with this. Unless someone comes in and says I want ABC product and here is the money it shouldn't hurt to give the customer options. If the customer comes in and says he wants product A and that is what you sell him, but the product doesn't work how he wants it to he isn't going to blame himself. He is going to blame the person/company that sold it to him. On the other hand if you spend some time giving the customer options and really finding out how they are going to and want to use a product the salesman has a better chance of truely finding the customer the right product that is going to satisfy them. This is how you create loyal customers and get referrals.

Like worm said though it can be a fine line between helping them and upselling or pushing another product on them.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-27-2011, 4:19 PM Reply   
^True, TDC. But I myself have been guilty of over-explaining when a customer is done exploring options and made a decision. At that point, you best get out of the way and satisfy their decision. That sounds like the situation that LilJohn was describing.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-27-2011, 7:02 PM Reply   
agreed completely...the customer will lead you where he wants to go. if their mind is made up, give 'em what they want, not what they need hahaha....
Old     (Tommy)      Join Date: Aug 2010       06-30-2011, 7:51 PM Reply   
The customer is ALWAYS right. Sure you can show him or her something different! If their minds are made up however, honor their request and make a sale. I think that listening is the best thing us shop owners can do. You guys know your stuff and we need to learn from you and make your life better so we earn your business. Thanks for letting me chime in.
Tommy
www.gettommys.com