Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (alo)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-02-2003, 6:39 PM Reply   
i want to replace the 10" clarion marine sub in my boat (2002 x-stat). If anyone has done this, id like to hear what you did. I was thinking of replacing it with a kicker 10" comp VR. I really don't want to do a lot of drilling and cutting, i just want something that will bolt right on. I'll be running it out of the stock clarion marine 400.4 amp.
Thanks..
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-03-2003, 5:54 AM Reply   
I am in the process of replacing my Clarion 10. I have removed the entire kick panel ( which is really easy 3 screws ) and I am installing 2 10' Phoenix Golds in a custom box that fits right in. I wanted to be able to put everything back to stock so I kept the factory Panel and have made a new one that is exactly the same. I got matching Carpet. Will post pictures once its done. Not sure if this helps but its just an additional thought.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-03-2003, 8:02 AM Reply   
Al, I was in the same situation, had the Clarion sub installed in my ProStar...a pretty awful sub.

Anyways, I did put in the Kicker 10" Comp VR, much better, though you do have to widen out the hole just a little bit to get the Kicker to fit in flush. I just used a fiberglass drill bit that I picked up at the hardware store and worked my way around the hole until the sub fit...
Old     (alo)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-03-2003, 4:30 PM Reply   
Thanks Tom. did you build any kind of box behind it? are you powering it with the stock 400.4 amp? can you put the clarion grill over it? thaks again...
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-03-2003, 5:25 PM Reply   
Al, I did not build a box behind it, though that would obviously make the sound better. I am actually powering my sub with a five channel Fujitsu amp that also powers the four speakers on my extended pylon. I believe it's 4x45 + 1x100 for the sub. My boat is a '97 Prostar, so it didn't come with a stock system. As for the Clarion grill, no it definitely does not fit. I was thinking the same thing, but it's definitely a no go.

Also, if you're interested in finding a good deal, I bought my sub off of ebay, brand new in the box from bigdogcaraudio.com for $68 plus $20 for shipping. Not too bad...
Old     (alo)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-03-2003, 6:34 PM Reply   
Tom,
that is a good deal. I am in Mexico, so buying from e-bay may be difficult due to all the customs.. I will probably buy it elsewhere, and pay a bit more. thanks for all the info...
Old     (raider40)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-03-2003, 8:15 PM Reply   
Al - I've got the same boat and replaced the sub with a 12" Kicker Solobaric sub. I also replaced the stock amp with a 500w Cadence amp. The sub really hits hard and deliverys very crisp response.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-03-2003, 8:26 PM Reply   
I have a Kicker Comp VR and it sounds great, but it's in a bandpass behind passenger seat in my VLX. It takes up some space with the battery in the storage area also. I want to move it to driver floor panel also and was thinking what if I put a plexiglass cover over it like the bandpass to protect it? The rear would stick out under the floor panel compartment. Thoughts? I run it with a Kicker 5500 amp.