Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-03-2006, 7:44 AM Reply   
So I'm finally ready to plumb in some sacks. I've looked through all the threads and found a really good one on custom ballast for the x2. The sackable area next to the engines is 32x24x17, one guy ordered bags 32x16x21 which amounts to almost 400lbs each. Now what I'm wondering is what size/weight sould I go with in the back because i heard the front sack (im doing the fly high under the seats) only fills up to maybe 400 lbs. I want to to be able to fill it up and end up with a good weight distribution. Also where should i specify the fill/drain and vent holes in the bags. If any one that has done an x2 reads this, what did you end up doing and how did it come out? Last thing is that I saw these guys divided their pump hose to fill/empty both tank and sack at the same time. If the sack is more weight than the tank will this do anything. Im wondering when i fill them, since the sack is double the size of the tank, will the tank tank be overflowing out the vent while the sack is still filling up, is this ok? Here's a link to the post

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/287441.html?1144113986

thanks in advance for the help
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-03-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
there is a pro x ballast system available through your dealer which is awesome.

i actually did my own ballast system before knowing about the pro x but it ended up almost identical.

if your going to be using the integrated bow sac and that alone in the bow your going to want somewhere around 300 lbs for each sac in the rear compartments. also you will want to make the bags as long as possible. it will allow for still some storage space when the sacs are full.

in my setup i have the integrated bow sac, along with a bow walkway sac, 2 375 pound sacs in the rear and 150 lbs of lead in main cabin along with stock weight = one sick wake.

with the bow integrated sac and 300 lb sacs in the rear it should be very good weight distribution with just a few people in the boat and only get better with more people.

for where you will put the fill and vent locations depends on how your hoses will be setup and what kind of connections you use. first take of that rear panel that covers the stock pump and see how you want to setup the hoses and valves and stuff and that will help you decide for the locations. also you will want to use a good strong hose that wont bend and crease over time and also replace the impellers on your pumps to the new ones in 07 that are self lubricating. it will make everything run smooth, they last alot longer than the 06's and i haven't had any problems with the pumps with these impellers since i have used them.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-03-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info, I'm actually waiting on a call back from my dealer to see the specs and price on his system but am seeing what to do myself as i want to see what the price difference will be. Do you know the price/ weight of the pro x?
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-03-2006, 5:51 PM Reply   
Never heard of a pro x system the dealer installs. My dealer (i know not you zach) thinks stock ballast is enough. why do slalom skiers think they know everything?

I went with bigger sacs in my back gunnels. When you custom order them from fly high they have the max size dial in so don't worry. I think the pics of my rears plumbed in is in the post you referenced.

I use the integrated bow in the front and never plumbed it. Its my winter project.

I current put another 440 in the floor at the rear. However, I am going to have two custom sacs made this winter to fit under the rear seats and tie into the rear ballast. My goal is to have everything automated. When the project is done, I will post a link to pictures and descriptions including parts, since I have been asked countless number of times about all of this. Best just to have it in a link instead of re-typing everytime.

(Message edited by c640947 on November 03, 2006)
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-03-2006, 7:21 PM Reply   
thanks for the info. I actually just called fly high to get a quote and they told me they have some sacks made for the x2 already. They are the ones they sell at the dealership, the "pro x ballast". They said it costs $189 each wich i found pretty expensive but the guy said it is because they are custon, but double the price of standard fly high vdrive sacks?
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-03-2006, 9:10 PM Reply   
the standard v drive sacks are whey to big and wont fit properly in the x2 compartments.

Andrew with just the integrated bow sac i feel like you aren't maximizing your wake size to its potential. unless you have people sitting up in the bow i have found that it isn't enough weight up front.
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-06-2006, 10:06 AM Reply   
I totally agree. I forgot to mention that I am going to put some sort of permanent weight in the very front, where the bow sac doesn't reach. Lead filled pipes or something like that. Haven't figured out how I am gonna do it yet though. I figured 200 lbs at the very end of the nose would about equal 2 girls sitting in the bow. Plus it will help with rough water cruising.

Yes the fly high customs are expensive, but they fill the perfect amount of area. Still leave some room for a rope and 2 jackets in each gunnel without wasting space you could be weighing down. Get them - you wont be dissappointed. What's an extra 100-200 when you think about how much you spent overall? Might as well make it perfect.

Has anyone with the integrated bow sac AND a heater had problems with the heater not working when the sac is full? It crushes the hose from the heater unit so no air gets out. I was going to build a shield, but a friend suggested looking into moving the heater. Anyone dealt with this issue yet?
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-06-2006, 12:01 PM Reply   
i have the heater and integrated bow sac and mine has not been effecting the heater. when the sac is full it is almost touching the hose
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-06-2006, 12:45 PM Reply   
hmmm. I also removed the full shield on the front side of the helm so that I could put some spare life jackets and the throwable. If that was there this wouldn't be a problem, but I would have rather had the wires exposed and gain some more storage.

Sounds like I can rearrange mine so the heater isn't effected if yours is ok.
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-06-2006, 12:46 PM Reply   
speaking of that full shield - has anyone who has taken it out tried to get it back in? what a pain and part of the reason i opted to leave it out and gain the storage.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-06-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
does the bag fit with that shield, since I use my boat in salt I'd rather leave it on as any protection from salt water and air is good?
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-06-2006, 2:29 PM Reply   
yeah i have mine in wit the shield and it works perfect
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-06-2006, 3:47 PM Reply   
Fly High/Barefoot International has a custom rear sac for the X2 that was made using Mastercraft's specifications for the size of each of the compartments next to the engine. You can integrate it into your ballast system, or use the Quick Release system they have. Also these sacs are made from high quality whitewater rafting rubber instead of the traditional waterbed mattress rubber.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-07-2006, 5:19 AM Reply   
Waiting on a new 07 X-45. Does Fly High make any custom sacs for the 45, that could be plumbed into the factory system? If so, how is the auto shut off that I've heard is standard in 07's for the factory ballast system affected by having to fill more than the factory sacs volume? What do these upgrades cost and can they be ordered through my Mastercraft dealer?
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-07-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
Brett,

Next time I talk to Mike at BI I will ask about sacs for the X-45, but if not you should be able to use the X-Star package that is four sacs (two in the rear next to the engine, two in the front under the bow seats) that they use on the Pro Tour boats. I haven't used the 07 auto shut off yet, but next time I am at the dealership I will check on that as well. These sacs are competitively priced with other sacs of the same size and can be ordered through any Barefoot Internation/Fly High dealer. You have to specify if you want the plumbed ballast fittings or the quick release fittings, so make sure you get what you want.
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-07-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
mastercraft uses seperate pumps if you order the fly high pro ballast system with your boat
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       11-08-2006, 5:20 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! I am gonna call my dealer.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-08-2006, 11:13 AM Reply   
Alright guys its done. Just ordered the back sacks (the fly high x2 ones) and the integrated front sack. Can't wait to plumb them in.