Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (c_boarder)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-22-2007, 1:35 PM Reply   
this might have already been posted, if not check out this hull and floor delam pictures on the Malibu site.
http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8156
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-22-2007, 1:53 PM Reply   
Was posted and that's the hull and liner they're talking about, not the floor.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-22-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/414387.html?1171754773

Leave it to a MC owner to do what a MC dealer would typically do. Perhaps you should read both threads in their entirety.

Great design? Not quite. Problem for most Malibu owners? Probably not.
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-22-2007, 3:30 PM Reply   
So what everyone is saying is that there is a empty airpocket/void between the so called liner and the bottom of the boat. How does the water drain? The edge of the liner goes to the top of the plug. Water sits inbetween the liner and the floor...or the FALSE FLOOR. In essence the LINER is being used to cover and UNFINISHED Bildge CORRECT?

and to think all along I have been told that BU "IS JUST AS GOOD AS" a MC. I guess not in this case. I wonder what else BU is hiding under there...or what isn't there.

I challenge some of you DIE HARD BU guys to take that liner out, shoot some photos foward and aft and show us all what is hidden in there. NO FOAM, NO BACKING PLATES, HOLLOW stingers w/o steel reinforcment, and a HOLE jigzawed out for your shaft, raw exposed fiberglass LOOK FOR YOURSELF. Photos do not lie !!!
Old     (stepintoliquid)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-22-2007, 3:38 PM Reply   
I dont see this going well....
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-22-2007, 3:54 PM Reply   
You cannot take the liner out it is bonded in place.

I know my boat has a square drive plug in the transom, that likely allows accumulated water to drain from this area. I stated this in the other WW thread, which you neglected to READ.

If you READ the threads on the malibu crew site, you would realize that MC does the SAME thing on their direct drives, they just fill the void with foam. So they use a liner to cover an unfinished bilge just the same. Look at the "stringers" section on their construction page on the website. Or likewise the "liner installation" section of the factory tour page.

Again, this is not really much of an issue, unless you live in a cold climate, and don't take out the transom plug in the winter.
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-22-2007, 5:07 PM Reply   
NO MC DOES NOT DO THE SAME THING!

http://www.mastercraft.com/index.php?znfAction=Tour&step=08

The BU LINER is a PLASTIC cover meant to COVER the unfinished inside bottom of the boat. That is NOT THE bildge. The bilge of a MC is the TRUE bottom of the boat. A fiberglass/RESIN floor. you DO NOT drill though a VOID in the LINER to get to the other side. Tim maybe you should watch ALL the segments on that link just so you are familar on how a MC is trully made.

http://www.mastercraft.com/index.php?znfAction=Tour&step=08
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-22-2007, 5:13 PM Reply   
We forgot how far superior MC is compared to all others....
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-22-2007, 5:21 PM Reply   
05 Glad you are seeing the light. Not a question of SUPERIORITY. It is a statement of that MCs are constructed different for good reasons. I am tired of people saying " IT is the same" It ain't the same...just go look for yourself don't be scared...it won't hurt Just go look then report back your findings IF YOU DARE !!!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-22-2007, 5:26 PM Reply   
Most boats are constructed differently, never said they were the same. I have looked and still went BU. The liner is cosmetic only, just because MC doesn't use one doesn't mean they are built better.
Old     (bummerkit)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-22-2007, 6:07 PM Reply   
Im going to start a boat company called malicraft.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-22-2007, 6:13 PM Reply   
Selling my Malibu now, but of course I am buying another one.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-22-2007, 6:14 PM Reply   
Quinn sounds good let me know when you go public. Just make sure you build them just like MC, if not it will be a piece of crap LOL!!!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-22-2007, 6:24 PM Reply   
It is not plastic, it is fiberglass

http://www.malibuboats.com/images/Difference/Construction_FibECS_600.jpg

Proving yet again you did not READ the threads or have any realistic idea of how these boats are built.

And yes, the link you sent me IS a liner, whether you want to call it that or not. It is placed in the boat after the hull is laid up.
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-22-2007, 6:31 PM Reply   
Tim,

Thanks for posting. Great breathable stingers you got there. No water can get in those can it? Only where the vents are...It is you my friend who is clueless. Go check your PLASTIC liner and report back. It is not even part of the FIBECS stringer system
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-22-2007, 6:40 PM Reply   
Upload

Here is your SPECIAL Hollow FIBECS stringers. Real space age technolgy right before your eyes!!! The bottom of the boat IS NOT finished. Your floor IS not fiberglass, it is a bunch of JIFFY BOARD. NO CLOSED cell foam under the floor and no backing plates to hold the motor in place.

From the BU site itself

P.S. Hope that Bead of silicone holds your floor in place

(Message edited by swab791 on February 22, 2007)
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-22-2007, 6:54 PM Reply   
I love the annual MC bash Bu fest, just another springtime on wakeworld.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-22-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
go look at the pictures on the first link of this thread, and tell me again that it is plastic.

I don't care that the bottom of the boat is not finished.

The floor is holding up just fine. My engine stays in the same place.

Now tell me something I care about.
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-22-2007, 7:42 PM Reply   
I guess you don't care
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-22-2007, 7:48 PM Reply   
No, TK. I could swear you are RyanXstar in different clothing.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-22-2007, 8:04 PM Reply   
Why do some MC owners always have to bash and defend their brand?? Is there some kind of contract MC makes you sign upon delivery or something. Why don't you post some pics of your superior product TK.
Old     (mrm2083)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-22-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
Not all mastercraft owners bash other brands, but some people here do give us a bad reputation. I don't get why people on this board have to constantly be putting down other boats. I do think mastercraft makes the best boat and that is why I bought it. I'm sure malibu's liner thing has its pros as well as its cons just like anything else. Malibu makes a good boat, specially when compared to the price of a mastercraft. All you mastercraft guys should stop bashing other boats so much and giving us a bad rep and you malibu guys should chill out, you bought the boat you think is the best who cares what people with mastercrafts say
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-22-2007, 8:37 PM Reply   
I said some MC owners. Not all uptight but think it's funny. I think most Bu owners are pretty laid back about the bashing. Good note though Manny, well put.
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-22-2007, 8:43 PM Reply   
The BU stringers work obviously, at least from what it looks like on the outside, but when I watched them build and assemble I wondered if they would actual work. Didnt have much confidence in the design. One reason I didnt buy a BU. But I also am not a master laminator or boat builder.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-23-2007, 6:30 AM Reply   
Please dont say RyanXstar he might start posting.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-23-2007, 8:59 AM Reply   
"Please dont say RyanXstar he might start posting."
Billy

No doubt. What was that other brokedick MC owner from last year who said BU owners don't have enough money to buy MC'sThat guy was just as funny, and of course clueless.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-23-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
"Is there some kind of contract MC makes you sign upon delivery or something."

Yeah, it's called the sales contract. Mastercraft owners pay a lot more for their boats on average. Most of those owners are happy enough getting the boat they did for the price they paid. Others have to convince themselves that there is no possibility that anything can be better than a Mastercraft in any way. They would feel that they have wasted their money otherwise. When I see a Mastercraft owner who has kept their boat long enough for their admittedly better build quality to matter, I'll be impressed when they raise this type of objection. Until then, it's a bunch of penis waving. And we no longer have the bun thread to offset that.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-23-2007, 10:51 AM Reply   
I like to wave my Penis! especially at Bu's from the deck of my MC hahahaha
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-23-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
these threads make me want to puke, grown men arguing the old "mines better than yours"
Old     (stusumm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-23-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
these threads make me want to puke, grown men arguing the old "mines better than yours"

I like to think it's a bunch of kids. It makes it easier to digest.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-23-2007, 3:38 PM Reply   
malibu guys are so sensative. But then I would be to if I had to defend my boats lack of backing plates every day
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-23-2007, 3:51 PM Reply   
I wonder if Matt is an MC guy...checking...yep!

it's just too predictable.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-23-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
You had to check??? Kind of proves Dante's point too. I think I'm gonna go buy a backing plate!
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-23-2007, 4:10 PM Reply   
I think Malibu's are nice,for me to poop on!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-23-2007, 4:15 PM Reply   
I think MasterCrafts are nice. Period.
Old     (duckguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-23-2007, 4:59 PM Reply   
I actually just like ribbing people. I love the new silver VLX-SWEET. My Malibu dealer is so far thats why thaey didnt get a good chance when I got mine.
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-23-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
"P.S. Hope that Bead of silicone holds your floor in place"

That is were you are WRONG...all Malibu owners know that they use Elmers glue since it is water salable they can easily clean it up if they spill some. I am on my 2nd and have not had an engine fall out yet? Maybe this is my year…LOL. Lifetime warranty on the hull, no need for me to worry.
Old     (ncbschzzt)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-24-2007, 9:52 AM Reply   
I guess that floor has made a difference, becasue the last time I checked BU owns the market share for wakeboats. Umm, I guess MC must be doing something wrong. Tell me if I am wrong, but doesn't BU have a higher rate of owner statisfaction than MC? I guess all my "fake" floors and space age fiberboard and bad designs are working for us stupid people who buy BU.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-24-2007, 11:34 AM Reply   
What is popular isn't always right!
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-24-2007, 12:46 PM Reply   
I really like the silver edition boat myself. I'll pull that to the lake anyday. Then again I would be happy with any brand 5 years old.
Old     (faceplanter69)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-24-2007, 2:25 PM Reply   
I've owned a number a different brands and have been to four different dealer meetings in the last 6 years now. Malibu is a master when it comes to it's marketing and how they sell their boats.

Part of the MC and Tige dealership meetings entail taking apart some of the competitors boats and comparing how they're built. Malibu never looks at how others are built. Why? because they know they're not built as well as some of the other boats in their class. MC and Tige both pride their selves on being a well built boat and that's how they market their boats.

Malibu doesn't ever say that they're the best built boat out there. They know that. If you see how a Malibu boat is built compared to most you can easily see that they spend more money and time on the interior then any other part of their boats. They easily have the most comfortable well put fit and finished interior over most of their competition. That's the first thing people see when the go to a boat show and is why they always do very well in the sales department.

They do cheap out on a lot of aspects of their build. Plastic liners, seat boxes, lack of foam injection, floors, how the motor mounts are made are in the stringers. Oh ya, the stringers themselves. Do they fail. No. Has a motor mount ever been ripped out of a stringer? I don't think so. Bottom line, it works, and the people that buy them are more than happy with their product. That's what counts the most. These aspects of their boat building process are the reason that they don't feel as solid over the life time of their boat.

Don't give me the bullsht about some JD powers award or survey that they paid for though. Don't give people the crap that you paid 10 grand less for your boat and it's every bit as well built as some of the others. They're not. They're freaken awesome boats and I've had a different BU at least for a couple of months per year it seems since about 98.

Take the boat ownership goggles off and drive them all. The MC, CC and Tige are the most solid boats you can buy. They spend way more dough putting them together then everyone else though. Little things quickly add up.

Not every Malibu boat is going to have the same problem as above. I'm sure a Mastercraft and a CC or a Tige ect will have a boat that has the same problem. Boats have problems. Boats fall apart. There isn't one boat that won't have a problem down the road. Don't kid yourselves. However, do your research on how and what goes into your boat and the build process. If it's good enough for you then that's the boat for yourself.
Old     (ncbschzzt)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-24-2007, 4:14 PM Reply   
Nobody on this thread is pushing for someone to buy a BU, this thread was more along the lines of bashing once again. Im tired of hearing about how bad my boat is built compared to your boat. Also if my boat was such junk later down the road, how come they still hold there value as well as other boat manufactures? There is no doubt that CC, MC and Tige' build a great boat, but that was not what this thread was about.

I would like to see the proof of JD Power being "bought out." I think last year CC was the top dog, does that mean they bought out JD Power also?

I agree about the interior, BU did focus more time there than any others. I guess that goes for same in my wife's Lexus, and not for the Porsche. Lexus focused on interior comforts and Porsche focused on driving dynamics, so which one is better?
I guess that depends on who you are, it just so happens that many people enjoy driving comfort over driving dynamic. I guess thats part of the reason why Lexus has a better market share than Porsche, even though personally I would rather drive the Porsche.

So the question is: do you want to drive a Porsche or a Lexus? A CC/MC or a BU?
(I don't consider a Tige' a Porsche or a Lexus, more of a fully loaded Chrysler.)

So when somebody decides to bash another boat manu, I guess I find myself stooping to that level time to time. Don't get me wrong I would be happy with most of these manus, except that new crazy looking wakeboat with the fake flames on it. (Wakecraft)
Old     (john_prine)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-25-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
All you guys are a bunch of idiots getting hyped up on nothing.......Dont you boys have better things to be doing instead of searching all day for pictures that bash other boats......Get a life and stop getting power trips over this stupid stuff
Old     (hyperlite7572)      Join Date: May 2005       02-25-2007, 8:27 PM Reply   
no really, who the hell really cares. Let the bu owners be happy with their boats and the MC's be happy, and the CC guys be happy, and Sanger, and Wakecraft, and tige and what ever else you can think of. People work hard for their money, and spend it how they want. Let them learn from their mistakes, or be happy with their decisions. its just that simple.
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-26-2007, 2:46 PM Reply   
"SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES!"
Old     (ballsdeep)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-26-2007, 3:04 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/4387/389811.html?1172246593