Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (donnieb)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-14-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
I am new to wakesurfing and wanted to know if it's important to have smooth water to wake surf. I live near a small lake that has great water early in the morning, but then it gets pretty rough around 10:00 AM with all of the other boats pulling wakeboarders and rafters.

Is it mandatory to have smooth water in order to wakesurf? Or can you wakesurf when the lake is too rough to ski or wakeboard? Most of the pictures I see of people wakesurfing are on a smooth river or lake, so I thought someone on this thread could help.

Also, once you really load one side of the boat with ballasts, does the boat end up taking on water when large wakes from other wakeboard boats hit your "loaded" side? I've seen pictures of boats that look like the loaded side is only a few inches from the lake water...and wondered whether a boat “loaded” like this handles rough water very well. Here's a link to a thread with a photo: http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/276534.html?1137112697

Thanks.
Donnie
Upload
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-14-2006, 11:46 AM Reply   
Donnie
You can surf when it's too rough to ski or wakeboard although I prefer smooth water. I have surfed when there are white caps on the water but I think smooth water is easier. I like surfing rivers that have a current. It seems to make the wake bigger when you go against the current.
As for the boat being loaded on one side. You need to be careful. My husband drives for me and he stays away from other boat traffic. You have to give it a little throttle when coming up on a
big wave so the water doesn't come over the bow. Also try not to stop too quick or you will get water over the back of your boat.
Old     (donnieb)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-14-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
Thanks Sue! I had a question about going over a big wave, though. It seems as though your bow is so high up in the air that you'll never have waves coming over the bow, right? So why do you need to throttle the boat at that time?
Thanks.
Donnie
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-14-2006, 1:08 PM Reply   
That is one of the benefits to wakesurfing is that you can do it when the conditions aren't good enough for wakeboarding. I have yet to hear someone not going wakesurfing because it is windy. Although I do like it glassy. Just use common sense and you shouldn't get water in the boat. The most water I have had in my boat was from inexperienced drivers turing to quick to pick up a rider.
Board More/Work Less!
J$
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       12-14-2006, 2:07 PM Reply   
Donnie,
When we are picking up our rider at very slow speeds the bow dips down. I guess it's between the waves. Last year we had a big wave come over the bow and soak everyone. It just caught us off guard. Usually the driver gives it a little speed and we are ok.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-14-2006, 4:08 PM Reply   
Donnie, I've had water come over the gunnels, only twice and not too much water, but, it's an eye opener.