Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-22-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
If you have a raw file send it to me and I'll see what I can do with it.
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-22-2008, 10:51 PM Reply   
The barn was not going to be the focal point in the picture, it just fell into the background of the shot.

Unfortunatley, no RAW file available. One of these days I will start shooting everything in RAW. Right now though, I can't load my pictures onto the computer in RAW since iPhoto wont accept them. Thanks for the offer though, I appreciate it.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-23-2008, 5:27 AM Reply   
Interesting comment Walt on the saturation, they look perfect on my NEC in wide gamut mode (I'm finding I have to watch the saturation when I adjust shots using it because they tend to look oversaturated in the normal sRGB color space.) Regardless just about any cam will over expose yellow flowers without some neg. EC.

As far as DOF goes I doubt you'd be able to get that barn in focus without a tilt lens (given he's already at f8). 55mm is just not wide enough, not enough DOF even stopped down to f16 I would guess.

The D40 RAW files should be supported by iPhoto (and the MAC OS) by now, which version of the OS are you using? Apple only adds RAW support to the latest version which is currently 10.5.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-23-2008, 5:43 AM Reply   
This isn't the best example but you get the idea.

Upload

Upload
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-23-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
The upper shot is obviously more saturated and has a very slight magenta cast but still seems to be in the range of the NEC,(doesn't look over saturated) the lower looks like a typical exposure.

I'll look at your and his images again tonite on my Apple 23" at DBay and see how they look. I know I have to be careful when adjusting RAW photos on the NEC in aRGB mode as they look spectacular on it but over the top on a normal sRGB monitor.

Many of the browsers are now supporting wide gamut color spaces (like photoshop already does now) but are still limited by the gamut of the monitor in question.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-23-2008, 5:28 PM Reply   
Rich,
Those are just DOF examples.
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-23-2008, 5:47 PM Reply   
Don't forget you can get lots more DOF by setting your focus at they hyperfocal distance. As a rule, everything from half of the hyperfocal distance out to infinity will be sharp. You have a hard time getting a hyperfocal distance closer than about 20 feet (=sharp from 10 feet to infinity) with a 55mm lens. A good wide angle lens, stopped down, set at hyperfocal on a good tripod will get pretty much everything from a foot or so away to infinity in focus
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-23-2008, 7:28 PM Reply   
Rich,
I have OS 10.4, and when I tried some RAW shots they would not load to iPhoto.

I'm not sure, but I think in the photo with the bran, the yellow is over saturated due to there being more of it than in the first picture.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-23-2008, 7:58 PM Reply   
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303554

Looks like you need iphoto 6 and 10.4.1