Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-30-2010, 11:54 AM Reply   
Anybody out there rock climb? I live near the Red River Gorge in Kentucky and have been rock climbing for many years. Some of the most fun I have had is deep water soloing between wakeboarding sets on Laurel Lake and Summersville Lake in WV. Anybody else into this?

Anybody happen to do any deep water soloing at Lake Powell? Seems that you would be able to climb splitters straight outta the water out there!
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-30-2010, 12:04 PM Reply   
the posse i ride with also climbs at the gorge quite a lot. we have a place at rough river and there is a nice prob 40 footer we plan on soloing this weekend.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-30-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXW5u0qFDr8
^ my favorite deep water solo climber
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-30-2010, 12:37 PM Reply   
Yea, Chris is a strong dude.

Is there much soloing opportunity at Rough River?
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-30-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
Rock climbing has become my new addiction over the past 3 years. I can't get enough of it, just wish I could get out more. A couple of us at work have made an annual trip to Smith Rocks the past few years, that place is amazing, the scenery and amount of rock can not be beat.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-30-2010, 12:55 PM Reply   
there really isnt much opportunity at rough. There is one nice wall where people jump off that you could make prob 5 or 6 separate routes out of. I have heard that there are some other crags on the south end of the lake but our place is on the north side. i haven't spent but maybe 1 day at the south end.
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-30-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
Matt, I might have to make the journey over to Rough sometime. I've always wanted to check it out primarily for wakeboarding. If you ever make it to Laurel Lake the area between Grove and Holly Bay Marina has tons of DWS potential. Bomber stone between 30'-40' tall.

Nick, climbing is definitely super addicting. It is all I did for a number of years. I've never been to Smith, but have some friends who have been. Looks great. Quite a bit different climbing style than my home area, the Red River Gorge. If you get a chance, scout out some deep water soloing areas at your local lakes. Incredibly fun, pure climbing.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-30-2010, 11:57 PM Reply   
nice find matt, SC in the house right there!!!!! sharma is on another planet when it comes to his way of life. just amazing to watch. a solid dude and an incredible climber. that dyno he made at the end of that vid is so sikkkk!!!!
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-31-2010, 9:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kystyle View Post
Nick, climbing is definitely super addicting. It is all I did for a number of years. I've never been to Smith, but have some friends who have been. Looks great. Quite a bit different climbing style than my home area, the Red River Gorge. If you get a chance, scout out some deep water soloing areas at your local lakes. Incredibly fun, pure climbing.
I have a few areas I'd like to try. We have property on the other side of the state where I do most my riding and there is some great looking granite around there. I just haven't taken my shoes yet to give any of it a shot.
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-31-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
Sounds cool man. Climbing granite out of the water would be unreal! Chuck the shoes man. You'd be surprised how hard you can climb without them. Plus it makes your feet stronger. I used to use rock shoes, but they get pretty crusty and even more uncomfortable than climbing shoes typically are when they stay wet all the time. Sometimes if there is a bold line with hard moves I'll throw them on to try it.

Still curious to see if there is anyone out west who has tried climbing any of the beautiful cracks shooting out of lakes like Powell. Maybe the pictures don't tell the whole story and they are crazy hard or something?
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-31-2010, 7:24 PM Reply   
Granite straight out of the water would be awesome! Never done anything too serious while out riding but a few little problems throughout some lakes in Arkansas is all I've done. Tried some shoes a few times but i prefer bare feet in that situation actually
Old     (lfrider139)      Join Date: May 2007       09-01-2010, 8:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgettel View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXW5u0qFDr8
^ my favorite deep water solo climber
Matt, that edit was awesome

Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-01-2010, 5:54 PM Reply   
Looks like some good fun to be had. I like climbing but I don't get the chance to do it often. Might have a look at some rock guts this summer, have a dive to check it out and scout some deep water spots to have a go at.