Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Other Water Sports

Old     (old_chicago)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-19-2007, 3:25 PM Reply   
Has anyone messed around with the Hydroslide wake skis? Are they fun or a waste of wake boarding time?

(Message edited by old_chicago on February 19, 2007)
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-19-2007, 3:31 PM Reply   
Where have you seen them? Do they have a site?
Old     (old_chicago)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-19-2007, 5:05 PM Reply   
Places like Overton's and other boating accessory shops.
Upload
Upload
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-19-2007, 5:20 PM Reply   
You mean Hydroslide "broke knees"
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-19-2007, 8:22 PM Reply   
Its true, as a snowskier that loves the IDEA, I see a lot of injuries for this one. Ski's have to come off for the simple fact that "backwards rotation" knee injuries are common.

Anyone who has ever twinged a knee by a one foot eject on a wakeboard can imagine the common pain this is going to cause.

Great idea, I suspect the person behind it isnt on the water or snow much though.

Id love to try a slider on them though!
Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       02-20-2007, 11:30 AM Reply   
.....How are these any different than trick skis? The only difference I see is they may be a bit narrower?
Old     (dmcguirt23)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-20-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
and more dorky.
Old     (7890303)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-20-2007, 8:52 PM Reply   
Uhhhggg, So many of the same posts from last year... This is a post for WaterSkier.com who cares about trik skis!!!
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-21-2007, 8:26 AM Reply   
Relax mark, they are called "wakeskis"

If you dont want to read about it, dont open the post.
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-21-2007, 9:49 AM Reply   
A few years ago, we took a pair of old trick skis and bolted fins on them as well as wake bindings thinking you'd really be able to charge the wake. Lets just say it didn't work too well. Nothing like a good old wakeboard. I thought the concept might be a good marketing strategy to get the snow skier types into new boats. We can all get along. I spent all last night snowboarding our local half pipe with riders and skiers all pushing each other to go off!

And to the complainers about posts, as Mike said!
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       02-21-2007, 10:00 AM Reply   
You can't charge the wake on trick skis? You don't even need fins. Good edge control and you can cut just as hard as on a wakeboard. Those things just look like trick skis with a snow ski sidecut. Someone trying to hit a fad market. Looks a lot like ski boards in the snow ski industry about 5 years ago.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-21-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
I don't think its a fad.
Old     (j3t_m3ch)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-21-2007, 2:41 PM Reply   
I agree with Mike. I haven't seen these trick ski's on the water but they look the same as the snow style - and those things are natorious(sp) for knee and leg injuries. It seems like it would be worse on the water too, as far as tweaking your knee??
Old     (dfwharvey)      Join Date: Mar 2006       02-21-2007, 2:58 PM Reply   
Justin - You don't think its a fad beacause you have been riding them for a while now. I remember the first pair you had. I think I said you couldn't pay me to be on them.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-23-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
wakeboarding was considered a fad once so was snowboarding...
Old     (thedangcorn)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-03-2007, 11:45 AM Reply   

Y'all saying they cause knee injuries are smoking crack!

I own a pair of these. They are virtually the same thing as the "trick skis" that have been around long before the wakeboarding sport ever existed.

I first bought a pair of lake region trick skis (wood) that were probably 20 years old, had smooth bottoms, and had standard ski bindings. As y'all know the older waterski binding designs release with ease. I wanted some snugger bindings and to add fins, but then I saw these hydroslide hoppers. The dimensions were virtually the same (old trick skis and these new ones are approx 42" long, 10-12 inches wide). Needless to say, the old skis are gone and the hydroslide hoppers are now in my garage.

They track great (four fins). They are very light and stable. The bindings are decent, not high quality, but I think it's the same construction they put on the hydroslide wakeboards. If lubed, entry and release is fine. I'm going to add a rear toe binding and see if I can slalom on one :-). Now that I've used them I think it would be more enjoyable slaloming on one.

Ok, now I have to dispell some of the insane crack-rant above regarding snowsports and snowblades. Knee and leg injuries are common with long skis, and with short skis like bigfoot which has also been around for something like 20 years, such injuries were non-existent. On the other hand, head, wrist, elbow, tailbone (shall I go on) injuries are common with snowboards. To be fair, the longer snowblades around 99cm with non-releasing bindings are stupid, and that's why so many now come with releasing bindings. www.skiboards.com

But back to the main question of if these are a waste of time is... maybe. If you ever use standard waterskis, these are definitely easier to use and to store. That said, now that I've discovered wakeboarding I probably with only use the mini skis 10% of the time. Another reason you may want a pair of thes is for guests in your boat that don't want to wakeboard but have used skis in the past... they are very easy to use.

(Message edited by Thedangcorn on April 03, 2007)