Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Patryk)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-28-2012, 11:08 AM Reply   
I would like to know if anyone has pictures of their subwoofers installed, and where you feel is the optimal position for one. Most the time I see them in front of the drivers chair, and others in the ski locker. What is the pro of having it in front of the driver instead of in the ski locker besides space? Do subs in the ski locker sound bad?

I'm installing my setup this weekend, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       02-28-2012, 11:14 AM Reply   

I put a solobaric 15 under the dash on my a22. I picked under there just because I didn't want to take up any more space in my storage. It sounds really good but sometimes you have to get creative with box shapes under there unless you use a free air sub.

One thing I noticed with mine under the dash is that it vibrates pretty bad out of the water but when it's on the water, it seems like everything tightens up!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-28-2012, 11:15 AM Reply   
Nice setup on the port side of a Tige RZR
Attached Images

Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       02-28-2012, 11:28 AM Reply   
i have two ported 12'" Wetsounds XXX's, one under driver helm, one under passenger. Both firing to the starboard side, passenger side into the walk way liek the tige pic above and drivers side into the hull. This setup worked the best after trying every combination and orientation possible. Firing into the hull really gives your boat some extra output for the party cove to surrounding boats/listeners.
Old     (Patryk)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-28-2012, 12:23 PM Reply   
The setup on that RZR is clean, I like that!
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-29-2012, 10:37 AM Reply   
I put mine on the drivers side to free up room in the OB compartment. We put a plexi panel and it breathes through the bottom where the carpet goes in and around the wetsounds logo. Im using a xs-10fa in a sealed box per wetsounds dimensions. I have no complaints about it and it sounds good.
Attached Images

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-29-2012, 12:40 PM Reply   
For a single sub the best way to go is the drivers foot well. The observers compartment left unvented will be very muffled, I tried it for my second. I ended up pinching two under the dash.
Attached Images

Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-29-2012, 1:26 PM Reply   
Here is mine; I also had my second sub in the observers compartment, and have decided to move it to have 2 under the drivers dash;
Attached Images

Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-29-2012, 5:13 PM Reply   
How do you guys get the custom boxes for these subs - purchased, built (based on what plans?)?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            02-29-2012, 6:05 PM Reply   
Cant find the pic but I had a 10" kicker L7 in a ported box under the driver helm of our Vride, just moved the false wall up 2-3" closer than stock.

Like many have stated...on the port side either in the cubby or under the seat was too muffled.
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       02-29-2012, 6:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pprior View Post
How do you guys get the custom boxes for these subs - purchased, built (based on what plans?)?
i bought mine at www.customboxesforthesesubs.com
Old     (WetBox1)      Join Date: Jun 2010       02-29-2012, 6:07 PM Reply   
How about both sides.
Attached Images

Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-29-2012, 6:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
I built mine - I just measured it up and went to town.

Cheesedip.
Old     (816)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-29-2012, 6:47 PM Reply   
The only problem I have found with under the dash is every now and then you'll find a screw or nut on the floor, then spend hours trying to find where it came from.
Attached Images

Old     (pprior)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-29-2012, 7:58 PM Reply   
Ian - I thought subs had a very specific amount of space and designs, not just a "box that fits" - who gave you the specs for how to build it, or did you just wing it?
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-29-2012, 8:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNvisible View Post
Ha. Nice.
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-29-2012, 8:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetBox1 View Post
How about both sides.
Wow! That's sweet Nick! Do you have pics of the rest of the install?

Did you ever listen to just the driver's side sub? I have a 12W7 I've considered using in my new boat but I'm leaning towards doing a new 12W6V3 when it ships.

Are they sealed or did I miss the port?
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       02-29-2012, 8:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Ian - I thought subs had a very specific amount of space and designs, not just a "box that fits" - who gave you the specs for how to build it, or did you just wing it?

Every sub has different specs. If you dont have the manual you can find it online. It will give you a span of volumes. Measure the space you have and design a box that both fits in the space and meets the volume specs. You can Google how to build a sub enclosure. It is pretty easy to do!
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-29-2012, 8:53 PM Reply   
nick... so sick. great job
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-01-2012, 4:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by imondi View Post
Every sub has different specs. If you dont have the manual you can find it online. It will give you a span of volumes. Measure the space you have and design a box that both fits in the space and meets the volume specs. You can Google how to build a sub enclosure. It is pretty easy to do!
Exactly - I just went to Kicker.com, pulled up the specs, then drew up the box on paper. The depth and height are determined by the boat, so I used width to adjust the volume. My box has a faceplate over it, the actual enclosure does not span the entire width.
Old     (UNvisible)      Join Date: May 2010       03-01-2012, 1:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
How about both sides.
nice work, i wonder how it sounds with the drivers facing eachother like that. I wonder if there are phasing issues.
Old     (816)      Join Date: Dec 2011       03-01-2012, 2:07 PM Reply   
P, I bought my boat used and it already had the stereo equipment installed.
I would recommend spending a little extra time before your install to try and lock tight every nut and bolt in or around where you decide to place your subs. just a thought..
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-01-2012, 2:17 PM Reply   
Like UNvisible brought up Nick. Are those subs wired so one is out of phase?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-01-2012, 2:19 PM Reply   
On the W7 job there shouldn't be phasing issues because the loading, orientation and surrounding boundaries are symmetrical. The distance between the woofers is very small as compared to the wavelengths the woofers are expected to reproduce and arrival distances between those two woofers are such that they will reach all occupants equally regardless of their location.
You might get a little more energy into the cockpit if they were both aimed into the cockpit and used the immediate boundaries to focus the output more in a singular direction. But I'm not sure you could accomplish the same visual appeal.
But I like it! Super job!

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-01-2012, 5:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
How about both sides.
Awesome install!
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-01-2012, 6:15 PM Reply   
Those 2 w7s look awesome. I have an L7 15 behind the port side observers seat. I'd like to put it in the driver kick panel, but I'm afraid it will rattle the dash loose
Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       03-02-2012, 9:10 PM Reply   
Going to add another L712 under the kick panel soon .Name:  Woofer.JPG
Views: 15473
Size:  86.9 KB