Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-13-2010, 8:00 PM Reply   
Ok so im in the pricerange of 25k to 30k and im looking at a few boats. I really like mastercraft and malibu quality but i would have to get something in the 03 range for one of those two companies. If i went the moomba route i could get something 06-08 for my pricerange...

im looking for a vdrive with perfect pass and a tower. Coming from an I/O im about to graduate college and want to step up my boat. I really like the malibu's with the wedge because the idea of 1000 lbs of displacement with a flick of a switch makes me want one bad. Even if it has the manual wedge id be ok with it.

As far as wake quality, would I be sacrificing anything by getting a newer moomba? I think i would rather have an 03 Xstar or Wakesetter than an 08 Mobius to be honest, help me out.

skill level is intermediate, rolls, 360s, switch grabs and 180s and my friends are all about even w/ me.
Old     (apwrx)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-13-2010, 9:15 PM Reply   
You can find a Malibu in that price range and that would be my choice.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-13-2010, 10:01 PM Reply   
The newer Moombas are solid boats that throw a great wake, I would drive them all and get towed before you make a decision. Moomba uses an Indmar powerplant (same as Malibu and Mastercraft). I believe the ballast fill/drain system was greatly improved on the '09 and newer Moombas (impeller driven pumps), so keep this in mind when looking. I would think for $30k you could find a used '09 Moomba.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-13-2010, 10:10 PM Reply   
It's a good time to buy. Take your time. Go test drive some boats. Decide on what features you like/need. Bring your board & ask the seller if you can take a ride behind it. Bring a can of gas & a buddy to be your 3rd. And you drive as he rides. Fill up the ballast, put the boat thru all the motions. An hour so of this on a dozen different boats will give you some really good ideas of what you have to have.

$30k will get you some older VLXs, X series boats or newer Moombas. You need to narrow it down a bit more.
Old     (tride)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-14-2010, 5:17 AM Reply   
How does the wake compare on the newer moomba lsv?
I'm looking in the same price range. I just don't want to spend that much money, and be short on the wake. I have looked in side the moomba lsv, It look's to be a good boat, why pay more for an older boat it a new one is cheaper and has a good wake?
Old     (splashbenidorm)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-14-2010, 5:43 AM Reply   
Do you mean the new LSV?

I own a X1 (old Xstar hull).
You should check the new LSV and compare the room inside the cabin to the small Xstar's one. It's way much bigger in the moomba. The motor is almost the same, and the wake in the LSV is great too. No need to go for an older and smaller boat if you can get newer and bigger one. IMO.
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-14-2010, 7:26 AM Reply   
If you are looking at Moombas then I would also consider a Supra. They are both made by Skier's Choice. I think you could find a '06-'08 Supra in your price range. I purchased an '06 21V last winter in the low range of your budget. I had an older direct drive Malibu before the Supra and that was a great boat as well, but nothing like having a Vdrive. Good luck with your search!
Old     (srozema)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-14-2010, 7:58 AM Reply   
I'd get a Malibu but I have a biased opinion since that is all I've ever had. I bought a slightly used 2004 Malibu Wakesetter from a friend when he was upgrading. I've never had any major problems it's been a solid and dependable boat. I'd like to put mine up for sale so I can upgrade but I still have to convince the wife. I'm thinking about $25K but I have not really researched the value. If you'd be interested let me know. srozema3@yahoo.com. I'm in Michigan Detroit area. It's a blue, white and black 04 Malibu Wakesetter., about 330 hours, 500# factory ballest, manual wedge, nice stero w/ Ipod connection, tower w/ two board racks, bimini, always stored on lift, clean and well cared for.
Attached Images

Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-14-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   
I think you gotta look at correct craft as well. The good news is when you look at the original x star, 210, or vlx they are still very much sought after boats. I think you will have an easier time selling one of those three. I was in your situation and went with an older x star. Its alot smaller than an outback or lsv. Just felt my resale would be easier. Not saying one has a better value or loss of money when it comes to resale just think if you need or want to sell your boat in 5 years moving the Bu, CC, or MC will be easier. Plenty of Moombas on our lake and people seem to be happy with them. However, my next boat may be an Axis so what the hell do I know.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-14-2010, 9:33 AM Reply   
Im also looking at a san 210 in my area. Its an 03 with around 500 hours. Wanting 30000 for it.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-14-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
I can't seem to find any Sante 210s near me for under 35k. I'd go for that 03 if it's in good shape.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-14-2010, 5:24 PM Reply   
06+ LSV for all the reasons already mentioned above. Quality, big wake, big interior, newer,
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-14-2010, 5:53 PM Reply   
If you looked at other manufacturers you would have more options. Have you also looked at Sanger's and Tige's?
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-14-2010, 7:31 PM Reply   
In illinois there arent many sangers around, or centurions and i just dont want a tige. This boat is going to be my wakeboard boat for the next 5 years at least and because I will use it so long i want to be in love with it. Tige's just dont appeal to me
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-14-2010, 8:46 PM Reply   
Ben, I see you ride at shelbyville. Where are you from? Where else do you ride?
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-14-2010, 10:17 PM Reply   
Nobody else offended at this????

"skill level is intermediate, rolls, 360s, switch grabs and 180s and my friends are all about even w/ me."

Intermediate?:
Old     (sodaksooner)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-15-2010, 6:15 AM Reply   
I had the same dilemna. Went with an '03 vlx. Had low hours and has been a great boat. I was familiar with malibus but looked at MC and CC boats as well. Just liked the vlx better, and like the wedge too. Had to drive a couple of hundred miles to get it which isn't bad. Has been a great boat and I don't regret it. To be fair though, I didn't look at any of the newer Moombas.

We don't really push the wake, but have had 1k more ballast than stock a few times. Makes a nice wake. I have been boarding for years, but still consider myself a beginner...coordination would help alleviate that.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-15-2010, 7:40 PM Reply   
I ride almost exclusively on lake shelbyville, we put in at wilborn which is north of the train trussel. I currently have an all white sea ray with a tower that we have been using this past year, but im trying to sell it so i can move to an inboard.

As far as my skill level, i wouldnt consider myself a beginner and def not an expert so i consider myself an intermediate
Old     (wakesurfer08)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-18-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
Ben,

Sent you a PM.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-18-2010, 12:14 PM Reply   
another vote for newer LSV
has more interior room, killer wake, less hours, interior, carpet etc will all be in better shape. ballast pumps, switches, valves etc also all will be newer and not needing replaced soon.
ill try to get some pics up of my wake.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       10-18-2010, 8:21 PM Reply   
found an XLV....wish my boat would sell.
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       10-19-2010, 4:44 PM Reply   
I have found many 01-04 san 210 on only inboards in that price range.

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=821142 2002 with only 250 hours!

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=820854 here is one a little closer to you

Last edited by gotwake133; 10-19-2010 at 4:46 PM. Reason: link did not work