Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-02-2012, 12:52 PM Reply   
I have a few questions... This is my first oil change on my boat (doing myself not shop), What oil and how much?

I was thinking 5 quarts of AMSOIL 15W-40 Marine Synthetic Oil?

What do you use to do the tranmission and vdrive? ruffly 4 quarts total of ValvolineTransmission Fluid ATF Dextron Mercron III?
Old     (cobra_nuggets)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-02-2012, 1:22 PM Reply   
I used Shell Rotella T 15W 40. Dexron III is what you need for V-drive and tranny on my boat (08 Wakesetter)
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-02-2012, 1:25 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I have a few questions... This is my first oil change on my boat (doing myself not shop), What oil and how much?

I was thinking 5 quarts of AMSOIL 15W-40 Marine Synthetic Oil?

What do you use to do the tranmission and vdrive? ruffly 4 quarts total of ValvolineTransmission Fluid ATF Dextron Mercron III?
I tried Shell Rotella 15w40 this year based on what I read a bunch of other Moomba and Supra owners on these boards use (and indmar even states its a good oil to use for our engines). If you have an Advance Auto parts near you it is $12.99 a gallon, Walmart also had it for like $14.

You'll get various opinions on what to use, and even more on synthetic vs. standard. You can always just use what your manual says which is what I did for the first two years (pennzoil 15w40) but I can't find it anywhere locally and Shell Rotella is abundant and CHEAP but is a great oil.

For tranny oil just use standard ATF dexron/mercon III and for my vdrive I used pennzoil sae30.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       05-02-2012, 1:37 PM Reply   
you can't beat mobil 1, that's what i've been running in mine for the last 450 hours
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-02-2012, 2:03 PM Reply   
I use the penzoil because i have no problem getting it locally, but I have read on themailbucrew many owners are using shell rotella and mobile 1 diesel oil.

I don't know what boat you have but in my malibu it's ATF for both tranny and v-drive
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-02-2012, 2:10 PM Reply   
I run an 07 VLX.. I just run my boat hard so I was thinking amsoil.. I guess I could run shell Rotella. How many quarts does it usually take? Im ordering everything off bakes because I need new wedge actuators.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-02-2012, 3:08 PM Reply   
Sorry its a Malibu 07 VLX that i run about 4000 lbs in. So I would prefer to run good stuff in her.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       05-02-2012, 7:55 PM Reply   
Thats funny, I just did my oil change 2 hours ago on my indmar 340. I used 5.5 quarts of rotella 15w40 and a mobile 1 filter.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-02-2012, 8:13 PM Reply   
You don't need synthetic on a boat because the engine is at a fairly constant temperature and has excellent cooling. I, however, always put full synthetic in mine and will until it starts leaking or burning oil. My reason is that it oils faster on starts, and if I do get into an overheat situation the synthetic stands up better.
On dyno tests I've run, Mobil 1 performed the best but most major brand synthetics are similar. AmsOil developed less power than the Mobil 1 which means it had more friction.
For things that require ATF I have not found a benefit in pure synthetics.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-02-2012, 8:34 PM Reply   
Raf,
Thats great to know.. I almost ordered 5 quarts!

Art,
So are you say stay away from amsoil and run rotella instead?
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-02-2012, 9:08 PM Reply   
I have an 04 VLX with nearly 900 hours. I use Pennzoil 20W-50. Along with Pennzoil atf 4 for Tranny. And Pennzoil SAE 30 for v drive. Pennzoil is what Malibu recommended so that's what I've gone with
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-03-2012, 8:24 AM Reply   
Michael, that would be my preference. I would run the semi or full synthetic. What Is in my boat right now is Mobil 1 5w-40, which is a european car spec oil.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-03-2012, 8:50 AM Reply   
art thank you...I will run rotella, seems like a popular choice.

Question; Do you guys you fake-a-lake? and should I pull my impeller since it hasnt been done in 3 years.lol (doesnt overheat)
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-03-2012, 8:54 AM Reply   
If you don't replace your impeller every season, you are on borrowed time. I don't even have an impeller installed over the winter - a fresh one goes in every spring. Aside from engine oil, the impeller is the most important wear item protecting your motor - change it every commissioning.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-03-2012, 9:06 AM Reply   
i change my impellar every 100 without fail.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-03-2012, 9:08 AM Reply   
well im only at 200 hours so its time (all my buddies have boats, so we split time on boats)

Do i need a puller? or can it be done without one?
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-03-2012, 11:42 AM Reply   
You should change it every year, then the one you pulled can be a backup. I use a fake a lake, always good to run it before you get out on the water.

I have changed the impeller before without a puller and it takes a while, it's a pain but can be done. I bought a puller on sale from bakes and it make the job quick. Up to you.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-03-2012, 12:38 PM Reply   
Thanks justin, I am kinda cheap when its going to cost me around 800 to fix the boat already, ill get the bustard off somehow.

My only concern now is the vdrive and transmission, can I just use ATF for both?
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-03-2012, 1:54 PM Reply   
You don't need a puller, it's not that hard.

I also got an 07 and I use ATF for both. Mine has sticker by each dipstick that says Pennzoil ATF, yours should too.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-03-2012, 2:14 PM Reply   
Yeah Michael it all depends on your boat. My Supra is different. Again just take a look at your manual, it's all in there. Good luck. It will teach you more about your boat (I'm learning more and more since I'm not a real mechanical guy.)
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       05-03-2012, 11:07 PM Reply   
okay just read this thread. I have Amsoil 10w 30 will this work or be okay with my monsoon VLX 340HP engine? I have 6 quarts of it and was going to change the oil . This is what my father use to put in his Nautique ski boat and what was recommended to him my his mechanic. Different engine, but just wondering. I know Amsoil is great oil. I guess I will ask my mechanic tomorrow when I drop it off. If not I will use what every he recommends. Just not a fan of Pennzoil though. Mobil or Castro is what I always put in my cars and trucks. Never met a mechanic that claims pennzoil is their top choice or even a choice.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       05-03-2012, 11:43 PM Reply   
Okay screwed up and read the box and not the oil itself. The oil is Amsoil 15W-40 Marine Synthetic Oil not Amsoil 10w-30 that is what the box said and that was the box I think for our Yamaha 4 stroke waverunner oil. Sorry if you read the above question. The manual for indmar does state that you can use 10w 30 if the engine is used in condtions of 20 degrees below. But it does recommend Pennzoil 15w-40 oil.
Old     (AMSOIL)      Join Date: Feb 2016       03-10-2016, 2:36 PM Reply   
Yes i know this thread is old but you can try the Amsoil Formula 4-Stroke Marine 10W-40 Synthetic Motor Oil(WCF) which has the corrosion package and formulated for outboards.