Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    nj0024            07-20-2004, 10:57 AM Reply   
If you had to choose what aspects to focus your finances on, how would these three rank?

1) Would you upgrade your board from this: http://www.wakeworld.com/BoardGuide/getboard.asp?boardid=103 (no laughing) to something more recent (looking at Blindside Blade 142 w/ Ultras...any thoughts on this board/bindings?)

2) Would you upgrade from a ski rope to something like a jacket line/carbon handle setup?

3) Would you purchase additional ballast in the form of side sacks (currently only have a locker sack and lead in rear of boat)?

I guess I'm not as concerned about #3, although it's still a consideration...but am curious if I should upgrade the board/bindings or get a better line first?
Old    r_dub            07-20-2004, 11:04 AM Reply   
I would focus on the board. Because ropes dont cost that much. I mean after getting your new board, you can eventually scrounge up some extra cash for a new rope/handle. And as for balast, there are other options for weighting your boat. Such as more people!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-20-2004, 11:16 AM Reply   
I'd focus on the riding.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-20-2004, 11:22 AM Reply   
Hang that '97 Camano board up on your wall and get a new ride w/bindings.
Old    r_dub            07-20-2004, 11:27 AM Reply   
Yeah, if you are trying to decide which one of these things will make you better, that's probably not going to happen. John is right, focus on riding.
But, I will admit that sometimes when I get something new it works as a placebo. I believe mind control has a lot to do with riding. If you feel good riding something new, you will ride better.
Wow, this is a total contradicting post.
Hell, if you have been riding the same board going on 7 seasons now, assuming you bought it new, you owe yourself a new ride!
Old    nj0024            07-20-2004, 11:57 AM Reply   
Some comical replies as expected! That's part of the reason I keep coming back to the board. Good times.

Wasn't really looking for "what makes you better" as I know that you're only as good as your talent/practice allows. Just wondering what would make progression easier.

Thanks for the replies...I'm off to shine up the Camano! LOL
Old     (jman)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-20-2004, 1:16 PM Reply   
I'd go with a new board and bindings.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-20-2004, 1:29 PM Reply   
I'd say start with what's under you and work your way back to the boat. If your fundamentals aren't there, it won't matter how big the wake is, it might even hinder you getting comfortable.

A good handle and no stretch rope is a must, but again, it won't matter if you are riding poorly.

I started out on a good board, but ride at 65 feet. I learned W2W 3 of the four ways, no switch toeside yet, but I ain't no Heelside Possie Bro. We have a good rope and handle and that helps for loading the line and plain old holding on. We just started weighting the boat more and making the wake way bigger and abrupt, so it's time for me to move to 70 ft and get some extra hang time for learning new tricks.

Get the board and focus on riding well, all the other stuff will come in due time.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-20-2004, 5:47 PM Reply   
get new board and bindings, then get a rope and handle off ebay, and then worry about the weight in the boat.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-20-2004, 7:14 PM Reply   
Way back in the later dark ages of wakeboarding (about the year of his board), I was trying to learn a backroll. I threw about 200 of them without sticking a single one (really no exageration). I was about to give up and go take a lesson when some kids on the lake with a 2001 (model not year) Nautique fully weighted offered to give me a pull. I landed 3 in a row right off the bat. I immediately went out and bought a bunch of weight for my 92' Ski Nautique and found I had no problem landing backrolls after that, even with my crappy ole slalom rope.

Yes, I do think it's about time for NJ to buy a new board. But I don't suggest buying one that you haven't ridden. IMO, this is a huge mistake. I gave my reply because your question didn't include any background info about what you were trying to improve, or what you felt was holding you back. A rope and handle probably won't make as much a difference (and maybe none at all) as a new board and bindings. But definitely try before you buy.

Old    nj0024            07-20-2004, 8:11 PM Reply   
Thanks again for the replies...don't necessarily think that anything's 'holding me back' per se. Used to ride a ton, but behind a Lund w/ 90hp. Finally out on my own now and purchased a 97 Sport Nautique last summer so I'm ready to start hittin' it hard...behind a legit boat. Never ridden a board other than the old school Camano and never used a no-stretch rope.

So I guess I was just curious as to what other riders felt is most beneficial to a great ride...anyways, thanks again for all the feedback.