Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (mi_moomba)      Join Date: May 2005       06-15-2006, 6:35 PM Reply   
Which one do you think you can get hurt worse in and why? Also, what sport do you think you get hurt more often?

My opinion....I think wakeboarders get hurt more often, but wakeskating gets hurt more serious.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-15-2006, 6:44 PM Reply   
A repeat from a previous thread:

E.J., all board sports are pretty dangerous, I blew my ACL/MCL wakeboarding, and I am convinced that being binded to the board had a lot to do with it. In doing some research after I got injured, I found the incidence of knee injuries is particularly high for ANY sport for which bindings are involved, this includes skiing. Both wakeskating and wakeboarding are a lot of fun, but you just have to learn the basics first
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-15-2006, 6:46 PM Reply   
Plus the fact that their are more wakeboarders than skaters. Skating is a relatively new sport. What makes you think that skaters get hurt more serious?
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       06-15-2006, 8:50 PM Reply   
You can get hurt on either board. I'd just say to ride within your limits, regardless of the board and DEFINITELY learn the basics. They're going to give you that board control and they'll make your learning experience a bit easier. Balance and board control are super important...when you're not attached, you just can't cheat it.

Anyway, if you're into serious progression, expect to get hurt. That just comes with the territory.

Finally, the binding thing is right on (re: torqued joints and such). Wakeskates are a different story, with a common injury being the old one foot on, one foot off trick. Sometimes people end up with a severely stretched muscle (hamstring, groin, etc), while others end up with a blown knee or possibly a broken femur.
Old    00wakesetter            06-23-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
electricsnow, you are right on.

Upload
Old    00wakesetter            06-23-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
electricsnow, sick profile pic also!
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       06-23-2006, 9:31 PM Reply   
Thanks! I like it too. It's an old thruster ad...I sort of cropped off the bottom a bit.
Old     (xstarmeli)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-24-2006, 5:55 PM Reply   
I personally think wakeskating is a lot more dangerous than wakeboarding.
Old     (itsmebudro)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-27-2006, 5:57 PM Reply   
both are dangerous u get more serious injuries skating but u get hurt more often wakeboarding just not as serious
Old     (mi_moomba)      Join Date: May 2005       06-27-2006, 9:37 PM Reply   
Kyle, you have a PM
Old     (habcaw_creek)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-03-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
Both are bad because wakeboarding tends to hurt joints over time, even if you dont fall. But if you fall bad you can TEAR your body up. Wake skating you have to worry about getting CUT up with the board hits you. Wake 2 wake on a skate will f#ck you up. Ive had the board fly out and hit my in the face and the back of the head which = stiches and pain.So i think board is safer.
Old    abadsvt            07-04-2006, 12:47 PM Reply   
I want to learn wakeskating but all the bad things that i have heard that happens is scaring the $%#$ out of me. Is there anything that might give me hope!
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-04-2006, 7:37 PM Reply   
You just have to take it easy and learn the basics first. Keep your knees in shape as well. Remember, everybody's experience is different, and this thread is seeded in opinion and perceptions. Don't be scared, go for it, you may never wakeboard again.
Old     (padavi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-07-2006, 12:40 PM Reply   
well ive been out wakeskating a couple times, been wakeboarding for a few years, and my worst "injury" has come from wakeskating. I was trying an ollie and my back foot slipped off, legs spread apart, and the feel bads were the first things to hit the water. ouch
Old     (mudsurfer)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-08-2006, 11:40 AM Reply   
Well my friends son just broke his femar on the wake skate. Wake to wake, one foot on, one foot off, the X-Ray looks much like the one above. I've broke a few bones too some on waterskiis some on wakeboards and some with no skiis at all. The only way to avoid danger is to live in a bubble but what fun is that