Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-19-2013, 7:05 AM Reply   
My Compaq laptop won't charge anymore. The battery is new and charges in my wife's laptop. Is this something that is repairable? Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by jaegermaster; 05-19-2013 at 7:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-20-2013, 12:58 PM Reply   
Things like this are tough to sort out.

Does the laptop work while plugged in? with and without the battery?

It it works but does not charge, have you looked at the contacts on the laptop where the batter connects? Clean those really well, you can use a pencil eraser to rub them clean.

I've had two personal laptops with power input issues. I fixed one which was a $5 part and hours of taking it apart and putting it back together. Then the harddrive started to go bad, so I replaced it. On the second one you have to hold the power supply input cable at the right angle to get it to charge or even stayed powered on. This I can solve with some tape and letting only our daughter use it basically as a desktop machine, its not portable any more.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-20-2013, 6:04 PM Reply   
It works without the battery while plugged in. Is shows it is plugged in but says it is not charging. Battery level indicator says 21%, plugged in but not charging.
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-20-2013, 6:49 PM Reply   
If you haven't tried already, shut it down and remove both the power cord and the battery. Let it sit like that for 30 seconds then put the battery and cord back in and power up. This would reset
Some of the circuitry that would normally always be powered even when the laptop is off.

If that or the above ideas don't work, you may be out of luck.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-23-2013, 5:42 AM Reply   
Pulled the battery and left the laptop unplugged over night. Still no luck. Now my battery meter and volume control are no longer in the bottom right corner of my screen.

This sucks.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-23-2013, 7:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaegermaster View Post
Pulled the battery and left the laptop unplugged over night. Still no luck. Now my battery meter and volume control are no longer in the bottom right corner of my screen.

This sucks.
Sounds like something is up with your systray.exe or explorer.exe Does rebooting the laptop bring them back?

If not, try this:
Right Click on the time/clock on the bottom right > Customize notification icons > make changes there

You can also open the task manager
Go to processes
Find explorer.exe
End that process
Then click on File --> new task --> explorer.exe
That will basically stop and restart the explorer.exe which runs the task bar.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-23-2013, 5:58 PM Reply   
Sean, I did the second one and that brought back the volume control and battery meter. Thanks.

Battery still isn't charging. Stupid thing.