Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-19-2008, 6:37 PM Reply   
Whats up everyone..

I have a slingshot recoil and the edge of the stepdown sidewall is starting to spider crack. I do use it on sliders but always land on top of them and have never hit the side of the board on anything..There is NO damage done to the top or bottom laminate of the board.. its just the black stuff that fills the sidewall together.. Its just spider cracked for about 9 inches down the side..

we have a wall ride and I do like to press the heck out of it and the cracks are right where the board is flexing the most.. Could I be flexing it too much and making it crack..

Any help would be appreciated..

CH
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-19-2008, 10:22 PM Reply   
jeremy bynum.... where are you?
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-20-2008, 5:29 AM Reply   
another note to add.. the cracks dont look like they are deep enough to extend into the core of the board..Do you think will it eventually lead to the core cracking and the board eventually breaking in half?

Thanks
C
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-20-2008, 8:14 AM Reply   
Na man I have a 08 response and hit rails quite a bit. I had the exact same problem and just used some epoxy to keep everything together before it got to bad. I asked slingshots warranty department about it and took some pics to show them. They told me that the epoxy job should do and that it wouldn't affect the core at all, and to just keep riding it. I have been riding it for 4 or so months since and haven't even had to re epoxy it. Also took a huge chunk out of the bottom on a dock slide that had a lingering screw. Epoxy on that and no problems either. These boards are very strong.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-20-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
I took a little chunker out from the side too from a terribly mistimed ollie and just a little sanding too clean it up and its been fine
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-20-2008, 10:45 AM Reply   
Jeremy Byrom here
Pretty busy with my recent job change (wake instructor --> bellman at lake powell) and its common split shifts. working 6-10 and then again from 2-6 and taking care of the baby when the wify works... just not on here as much anymore to catch threads early ;(

Not "THE" expert on slingshot, but my adoration and desire to know (more) about slingshot i'd say is on the level of "guru" ;) ... also, just flex in general. Flex forever!!

looks like questions are prety much covered, but i'll add my input too. THE BEST INFO i can ADD to what has been said is a video explanation of the slingshot core vs. traditional boards'. cross section of slingshot board--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7lwEUQ6j0I
jump to 5:05 and watch till 6:00. (the whole vid is great and informative though) The black stuff around the edge of the board is an ABS side wall and is supposed to take quite a beating and preserve the rest of the board. as you will see in the video, it only extends into the board about 1 cm. so the cracks should go no further as well. besides for adding strength and protection to the board, the black side wall was added to allow a rider to fine tune the board, by sanding the edges down (this is explained in other slingshot vids).

f.y.i. i have never hit sliders with my board and almost have never hit sliders in general (definitely no expert here) Lake Powell, Page AZ, has a very small LOCAL wake scene

(Message edited by wakerider111 on September 20, 2008)
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-20-2008, 4:40 PM Reply   
Okay sweet!! Thanks everyone for all your help.. From the research I have done over the past 12 hours, yall's posts, and that youtube link you posted jeremy, it seems that the ABS side wall is separate from the board, and can be completely smashed and still may not even effect the actual core of the board.. I assume as long as water doesnt enter the core of the board it will be FINE!! These guys are genius!!

Thanks Again everyone,
CH

P.S. How cool is this website.. You can post just about any question about almost anything in LIFE, and you generally get some excellent advice, answers, suggestions, and coaching.. THANKS TO MR. WILLIAMS AND EVERYONE ELSE THAT MAKES WAKEWORLD POSSIBLE!!!
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-20-2008, 10:19 PM Reply   
The foam used in the core of the board, "divini-cell" is a closed-cell foam and should not soak up water even if water gets to it.... not sure about the wood though.

-----------------------------------------------
Glad we can help,
Ya, i absolutely LOVE wakeworld. by the time the mags come in i feel like i already know everything that is (going to be) in them, well, almost everything.
there is no other people i can talk to about wake like this without them getting bored or thinking i am obsessed (i probably am) than on here @ wakeworld.